X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vswells
    • Apr 2005

HELP!! RMB-1095 amp & Cable TV

I have just spent a small fortune on my first surround sound system. I have the Rotel RMB-1095 amp with a RSP-1066 processor. I have been told by the guy who sold me the processor that I cannot use this powerful amp with cable TV. Whenever there is ANY connection between my processor and TV, or processor and Cable Box I get a very loud BUZZZZ from my speakers.

This guy told me that strong Rotel amps (along with a few others) interfere with cable TV frequencies and that I would have to buy another amp, or buy
    a total surround sound system if I wanted to watch TV.

Is there anyone who knows about this or how to help?

Thanks
    Vick
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

It's actually bad grounding on the cable system that interferes with the 1095. Either get the cable company back out to make the ground better (highly unlikely they would be able to do anything) or get a ground isolator for the cable line:

Someone should be able to chime in here with a part number to order one. I can't seem to find it right now.

Kevin D.

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Vick, if you're in the states you'll be wanting something like a "VRD-1FF - Cable TV RF Isolator" for around $60 - http://www.jensen-transformers.com/iso_vid.html
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Ok, found the cheaper one. Keep in mind, these two might not work with some digital cable boxes.. The Jensen one will pass everything..

$10 isolator >>>>>>>>

Or buy two of these 75-300 ohm convertors and join the two 300ohm ends togther. Easily under $5. I think Aussie Geoff did this really nicely in a thread on ground problems.

I'd try the $10 and see if it works.. If not, go with Jensen. I'll buy the cheap one from you if it doesn't work.

Kevin D.

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
          I'll buy the cheap one from you if it doesn't work.
          Now, thats a guarantee Kevin :T

- Mike
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• vswells
            • Apr 2005

Thanks

I ordered a Jensen VRD 1FF off of ebay for around $50 last night just after reading your post. If this is not enough, I'll get another one from the link you provided. I'm just glad to know I don't have to buy a different amp (I should have known that guy didn't know what he was talking about). Anyway, I've found a great resource in this forum.

Thanks

Comment

• ekkoville
              • Aug 2004

I have the same problem and used the two converters to eliminate the humm. Bing has put one together somewhere in all these threads that he soldered and used shrink tubing to make it great functionaly and to the eye. I decided to try this before committing to the Jensen piece. vswells, keep us informed if it works. And, the amp doesn't interfere with the cable frequencies, it very well could be a grounding issue with the cable itself.

Erik

Comment

• Radec
                • Jan 2005

Funny, when I bought my 1075/1095/1068 about a month ago I didn't have the basement that they were going in done. I couldn't wait and hooked them up upstairs and as soon as I plugged in the cable I had a very bad hum. I read earlier that this was a problem so when I ran my new cable line I got a fairly nice splitter and ran a simple ground from that splitter when I hooked it up. I wasn't sure if it was going to work but when I hooked everything up downstairs the hum was gone. This seemed easier than going outside (It was COLD that day) and messing with the incoming line.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"