X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Popsyr
    • Aug 2003

RMB 1066 Amp

I believe that this is my first post on this forum.

What I wanting to know are what are your thoughts about the RMB 1066 amp.

I currently have a RSP-1066 and using Odyssey Dual monos for the fronts and an Ht-3 Odyssey for the front center & rears and a Odyssey Kartago for the rear center.

I mainly use the system in 2-channel mode using an Odyssey Tempest pre-amp. When I use it for HT, I switch over to the Rotel pre and use the Odyssey amps.

Since I use the HT about 20% of the time, I thinking that I have too much power on the surrounds and the rear center or unused power.

I'm looking at selling the HT-3 and the Kartago and getting a Rotel RMB-1066 for my HT needs.

What are you thoughts on the RMB-1066?

Thank you in advance for your response.
    Randy
  • Popsyr
    • Aug 2003

Also,

What would a used one cost, if it is in very good to almost new condition?

Thanks,
    Randy
    Randy

Comment

• chrispy35
      • Feb 2004

I'm almost 100% sure I'm in the minority when I say this but I think the RMB-1066 is a great HT amp for those of us who don't have 1075/1095 cash to play with. I use it with a two B&W 630's (old), two B&W LCR6 S2's and two PSB Alphas; I can't detect any clipping and it goes more than loud enough for my liking.

I'll save everyone the trouble right now:
      A) there's no such thing as too much power
      B) more power == more headroom == better everything to do with sound
      C) not enough power is what really damages speakers

I can't argue with A; it's a call you make based on your budget, the efficiency of your speakers, your room size, how loud you want things to go...

Statement B is valid enough; I haven't ever had the chance to do any blind testing myself to see if this is true.

Not enough power only damages your tweeters if your ears are so bad that you can't detect amp clipping when it occurs. This is due to high-frequency content generated when clipping occurs (more energy directed to the tweeter). Again, my ears pack it in well before the 1066 will clip. No one's ever heard of too little power causing a woofer to blow.

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

I've always pondered what a bi-amp (actually a tri-amp) setup would sound like in using the 1066 for the surrounds and HF on the mains with lets say a 1080 for the bottom end of the mains. Then I would use a 1070 for the top and bottom of the center channel. Generally speaking a biampable speaker doesn't require equal power for the top and low end but can do well with 30 to 40% of the bottom.
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Chrispy35,

For your speakers - the RMB-1066 is a nice amp and will drive them beautifully... They are intended for second room or multi-room HT or music applications and drive easy speaker loads very well.

"We" on this forum get excited when people want do to things like bridge the RMB-1066 (destroying their low impedence drivign capability) and then drive current hungry beasts like B&W 802s...

Geoff

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"