X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tubby
    • Feb 2005

Rotel RSX 1067 vs Denon 4306

I am in the market for a new receiver. I don't need video switching as I run all cables direct to my TV. I want a good sounding system for both HT and 2 channel music. I have read many reviews and it appears that everything out there is excellent ( I guess advertising dollars work). I had settled on the Rotel but my local Denon dealer claims that Denon is a better sounding unit than the Rotel. I know the Denon has more features and is cheaper but has anybody compared these 2 units? Anh advise would be greatly appreciated. My speakers are all Paradigm. Monitor 7 fronts, 370 centre and dipole rears. My room is approx 17 X 20 ft. Tahnks guys.
  • lvhung
    • Jun 2005

Rotel 1067 is sound quality better than Denon
    but Denon beter in reliability

Comment

• focus
      • Mar 2006

Isn't it possible to do a comparsion in the store, between the two units? And if you can't hear any big differense, why not go for the cheaper one? I have the RSX 1067 myself, and i'm really happy with the way it sounds!

Good luck!

Comment

• Jraducha
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by lvhung
        Rotel 1067 is sound quality better than Denon
        but Denon beter in reliability
        Im sorry but im going to have to disagree with that statement. I know plenty of people running Rotel products..and people who have been running the 1067 for a long time and have had no problems.

Comment

• AM4966
          • Jul 2006

I have auditioned P'Digms on alot of AVR's and Rotel was one of them and it sounded the best. That dealer probably has never heard Rotel with P'digms they just want to make a sale.

Since your using the Monitor 7's you could even use the 1057 AVR....

AM

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by AM4966
            I have auditioned P'Digms on alot of AVR's and Rotel was one of them and it sounded the best. That dealer probably has never heard Rotel with P'digms they just want to make a sale.

Since your using the Monitor 7's you could even use the 1057 AVR....

AM
            1057 + 1080 amp :yesnod:
            Jason

Comment

• ICEMAN70
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by aud19
              1057 + 1080 amp :yesnod:
              I agree. 1057 + 1080 amp would be an great combo.

good luck.

Comment

• Pez
                • May 2004

Denon makes great receivers, if I was in the market for one they would be my first choice. All the latest features, great for HT (which is my primary use), and multizone. For me, I want the receiver or pre/pro to do the video switching and since I dont use DVI having all the latest features isnt a deal killer. In the end it comes down to sound quality and I prefer Rotel. The 1068 does everything I need it to plus its one of the few in my budget that has a pure analog bypass for 2 channel.

My DVD player is a Denon and I am very happy with it. Its also my only non-Rotel component not inlcuding the cable box.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                  • Apr 2006

Denon's higher end receivers are very musical, especially in Pure Direct mode. 4306 and up sound really good with 2 channel as well as multichannel material. Sure, the Rotel may sound better to some people, but only your ears can decide. Maybe use the Denon for now, and add Rotel amplifiers as you can? That would let you use all the nifty gadget features on the Denon, as well as the switching, and still have Rotel sound with the amps. And I would choose a Denon DVD player over a Rotel any day of the month.

Comment

• lvhung
                    • Jun 2005

Rotel DVD player ??? what a voodoo !

Comment

• sonicbaer
                      • Jul 2006

I didn't compare the Denon AVR 4306 directly to the Rotel
                      but I did compare it to a Marantz SR 7500..then compared the Rotel 1067 against the Marantz....I bought the Rotel 1067..I thought it sounded better than the Marantz...

MB

Comment

• Tubby
                        • Feb 2005

Thanks for the input. I can't demo the 2 units side by side as they are from 2 different dealers. I am really leaning towards the 1067. I may be wrong but I figue if you build a receiver without all iof the bells and whistles and it cost more money and is a heavier unit, it would make sense that there are better components in the unit. I may be wrong but I think Denon is tying to package more stuff in one unit to make it appeal to mass market rather than stick with a good quality unit.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Tubby
                          I may be wrong but I think Denon is tying to package more stuff in one unit to make it appeal to mass market rather than stick with a good quality unit.
                          I'd say that pretty much sums up mass-market gear right there :lol: :T
                          Jason

Comment

• kiwi_frog
                            • Aug 2006

The rotel is a lot more basic, and a lot more musical in my opinion. Also has the grunt that the denon lacks, and therefore once the demands come onto the amp, the sound does not suffer to the extent that the Denon does.

Its also a pig of a thing to set up, but you only do that once.

Oh. And I should know, I have both sitting in my lounge, but I have bought the Rotel

Comment

• Tubby
                              • Feb 2005

I bought the 1067 as well but I am very disappointed in the amount of hum I am getting from my speakers. With satelight if I have the volume low I can hear the hum over the voices. All inputs except my OPPO DVD player input have a loud hum. Strangely the DVD input is dead quite when the DVD player is turned on but hums like the others when the DVD player is off. I have analog cables from my DVD player to the cd in and when I select CD I get hum whether the player is on or off. I am very disappointed since the Rotel is a very powerfull receiver and the sound is good except for the hum. Anybody else having this issue? I am going back to my dealer on Thursday and I will hook it up in the store to be sure it is not my hydro.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2002

In 95% of the cases, something else is causing your hum. Disconnect the satellite an / or cable feeds from the receivers and see if it goes away. It's usually improperly grounded service feeds.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Tubby
                                  • Feb 2005

Hi Kevin. I have a dedicated circuit that all of my HT gear is connected to. I just tried unplugging everything except the receiver and removed all of the cables from the receiver and the hum is still there. I even tried different speakers and it is still the same issue. I guess it will be back to my dealer.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2002

Yup, sounds like time to go back.

Kevin D.

Comment

• comeup
                                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Audiophiliac
                                      Denon's higher end receivers are very musical, especially in Pure Direct mode. 4306 and up sound really good with 2 channel as well as multichannel material. Sure, the Rotel may sound better to some people, but only your ears can decide. Maybe use the Denon for now, and add Rotel amplifiers as you can? That would let you use all the nifty gadget features on the Denon, as well as the switching, and still have Rotel sound with the amps. And I would choose a Denon DVD player over a Rotel any day of the month.
                                      I agree 100% with everything you said here.

And I'm a Rotel owner.
                                      Blake

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                                        • Apr 2006

BTW, I got a chance to play with Denons Media Connect/Windows PlaysForSure gadgetry today. On a 4306 nonetheless. Its pretty slick for their first attempt. There is a web browser applet that lets you control the receiver and stream files from your PC to it as well as play internet radio stations. The GUI on screen is lame, and the browser app is slow, but there is definitely potential there. Hopefully there is room built in for improvements to the functionality...like a graphical interface and a faster IP control....kinda nifty.

Comment

• Tubby
                                          • Feb 2005

Just an update. My dealer also heard the hum so I guess I will get a new unit. Wish me luck. after reading about the guty who had 4 of these units that hummed I am a little leary. I will keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"