RSX-1067 or RSX-1056 + non-Rotel External Amp ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FernandoF
    • Nov 2005

RSX-1067 or RSX-1056 + non-Rotel External Amp ?

Hello,

After reading the forum for many months, I'm finally posting here for the first time. I have just upgraded the front L/R/C speakers of my HT to Dynaudio Audience 52SE's and 42C. I also have 3 small surround satellites and a subwoofer (6.1 system). I live abroad and will take advantage of a coming trip to the US to purchase a new receiver. Therefore a home audition is out of the question, unfortunately.

I've been considering the Rotel RSX-1056. I have already auditioned it at stores and was very pleased with the 2ch sound quality. However, knowing that the Dynaudios are 4 ohms and rather inefficient speakers (86db/W.m) which benefit a lot from extra power, I have also been considering an external amp(s) for the front speakers. The problem is that I have a horizontal rack, with lots of available width but very limited height space. That is why can't purchase the RB-1070 or 1080, for instance. I can fit one tall component only (the receiver), and the external amps have to be limited to 4" in height.

Then I started looking at the RSX-1067, which is a little bit more powerful (100W/ch vs. 75W/ch @ 8 ohms), but costs A LOT more than the 1056. So I would like to ask you experts what your recommendation would be :

a) The RSX-1067 for about $2200, OR

b) The RSX-1056 plus 2 Outlaw 2200 monoblocks (300W/ch @ 4 ohms) for about $1925 (would I have timbre-matching issues between the fronts and the center ?)

For option b I'm not dead set on the Outlaw amps, and have also been reading about the pro amps such as the Crown and the QSC, which at 3.5" also comply to my height constraints. But I still don't feel very comfortable about their sound quality...

My HT uses half of a 11 x 22ft living room, i.e. about 11 x 11ft.

Thank you very much for your attention !

Fernando
  • lvhung
    • Jun 2005

may I suggest you buy the Rotel 1067
    to drive the 52SE
    Otherwise Dyna 52SE need an expensive speaker
    cables

Comment

• FernandoF
      • Nov 2005

Thanks a lot, lvhung. That's one vote for the 1067.

Any additional opinions ?

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by FernandoF
        (6.1 system)
        4 ohms and rather inefficient speakers
        very limited height space
        one tall component only... external amps have to be limited to 4" in height
        If those conditions are firm, my suggestion would be RSX-1056 plus the new RMB-1077 7-ch amp... I haven't heard it myself yet, but most responses so far suggest this digital-design amp is capable of handling virtually any speaker... specs: http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rmb1077.htm

It may cost more than you care to pay (US$2500), but it addresses all your particular needs, assuming you like the sound -- which hopefully you can determine by an in-store demo..

Do a search for RMB-1077 on this forum for more info.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• FernandoF
          • Nov 2005

Thank you very much for your comments, Greg. Yes, I've been reading nothing but good things about the RMB-1077, but unfortunately it is way over my budget...

My dream is that Rotel was releasing something like an RB-1082 or RB-1072, i.e. the 1077/1091/1092 technology with less power and at a more affordable pricepoint...

Anyway, do you think the Outlaw monoblock amplifiers will sound that much different than Rotel amps ? I just wish I could audition them at home like you guys do !

Comment

• gd
            • Jan 2003

Hey Fernando

I've only heard Outlaws at trade shows (can't remember if the monoblocks were used)... so know that I'm describing an imperfect environment with speakers that I think are just 'OK' (Atlantic Technology)... my general impression is that movie sound was sharp and clear, but that music soundtracks were somewhat harsh, compared to the 'Rotel sound'.

I think that there are a few Outlaw owners on this forum, and they'd probably give you an alternate perspective... owners seem pleased with O's products and service... if you are strictly movies, the Outlaws would probably work fine -- their specs on paper look like a good match for your Dynaudios.

You do know that Outlaw is strictly online ordering, yes?... I don't know if that's a complication for you in Brazil.

Your requirements make it difficult... a power amp choice really has more to do with getting sufficient current to your speakers than a type of sound... that often necessitates a larger size, or one of the newer digatal amps at greater cost... pro amps are usually noisy with cooling fans and their music sound quality is questionable... I'd suggest pursuing your original thought of a 1056 plus a 2-channel amp for the front, and place it in another room.

Or, coincidentally... there just happens to be a used Rotel RMB-993 -- 3-channel x 200w -- for sale on audiogon (online used gear marketplace) at a great price http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ult&1140877466 ... they are highly-regarded, and are about the size of a 1080, I think.

I will always recommend getting an amp that best matches your speakers, rather than one that matches your room.

Happy hunting.
            greg (gd to you)
            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• FernandoF
              • Nov 2005

Thanks again, Greg. :T

I fully agree with your comments. And in fact I'd have to say I'm more interested in music, but on the other hand I would also like to match the 3 front speakers as much as possible for when I'm watching movies.

With regards to your suggestion of the RMB-993 on Audiogon, I've seen it and I agree it would be the perfect amplifier for me, despite its size (similar to the 1070). I've sent a couple of messages to the seller about a week ago but got no reply so far. I don't understand what is happening, as he is trying to sell and I am trying to buy ! Maybe he is not replying because I don't live in the US...

Regards,

Fernando

Comment

• thyname
                • Jan 2005

Fernando;

One vote for me for RSX-1056! I bought a brand new one a while ago for USD 1,000, but I had to return it (WAF issues). And, since you like music, 1080 would be a great addition. MSRP price for the two is 2,300, but I am sure you can get them for a total of 2,000 to 2,100 (bargaining is OK in higher-end stores in the USA, as long as you are spending some money). This is my future plan for HT, unless Rotel comes up with a cost-effective upgrade to 1056. Look at my profile for my current stereo setup.
                Good luck with your decision.

Comment

• FernandoF
                  • Nov 2005

Hi Thyname,

Thanks for your vote. I wish I could find those prices you mention though. The dealers in California I've been talking to are giving me a hard time, so I wouldn't expect anything beyond 10% off MSRP. Should I insist and give THEM a harder time ?

Would you mind letting me know where you got your 1056 for USD 1,000 ? It is a lot better than 1,299 !

Comment

• thyname
                    • Jan 2005

That price was in Northern Virginia. They were running a special for that month. Not anymore. They run a special now and then, and that was the turn for the Rotel receiver. If they give you 10 % off take it. Good deal!!!

Comment

• Dmantis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2004

I have Installed the Dynaudio 42, 52, 42 center with 42w rears and the Rsx1067 is planey for them. the key is to run them in small crossover settings at 60hz and allow your sub to handle the lows. No external amp required. If you owned the 82's or even the 72's which can dig a bit deeper, then maybe an external amp would be nessary.

Your speakers are awesome as I own Dynaudio myself and know how hard they are to drive. Really there not that hard to drive but they like power to sound better.

Get the rsx1067 and don't look back. Owning great speakers require you to spend money on the receiver.

Dan

Comment

• FernandoF
                        • Nov 2005

Thanks a lot for your inputs, Dan.

I'm quite happy with my upgrade to Dynaudio, and I want to try and give those speakers the power and current they deserve. It is very good to know that the RSX-1067 would be able to do that comfortably.

I suppose my only criticism about the 1067 (vs. the 1056 + amp) is a worse upgrade path. But given my space limitations, I may have to accept it should I decide to go that route...

Thanks everyone for such valuable feedback. This Club is great and I can't wait to become a member myself !

Fernando

Comment

• NonSense
                          • Nov 2003

Fernando

Just my opinion, but I would sell your rack and move to something more suitable for the level of components you want to add to your system. It's never going to get any better. I woudn't sway my decision on equipment because of the rack.

I know this probably isn't the advice you were looking for, but it might be the right time to make the move.
                          Bruce

Comment

• Dmantis
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by NonSense
                            Fernando

Just my opinion, but I would sell your rack and move to something more suitable for the level of components you want to add to your system. It's never going to get any better. I woudn't sway my decision on equipment because of the rack.

I know this probably isn't the advice you were looking for, but it might be the right time to make the move.
                            But it's good advise nontheless.

Dan

Comment

• Marlboroman
                              • Aug 2005

I would get the RSX-1056 and the RMB-1075 combo before I got a RSX-1067. It ends up costing a mere $100.00 more, by MSRP, but you get a superior sound from the 1075 amp and if you need 7.1 you can redirect the front channels of the 1056 to power the center backs or if you are running 5.1 you can redirect the 1056 front channels to power another pair of speakers in a different zone. This will take up more rack space but it is well worth it in my opinion.

Comment

• Mouton
                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by NonSense
                                I woudn't sway my decision on equipment because of the rack.
                                There you have the wisest recommendation of all in the thread this far! :T

Seriously, recommending stuff, out of the given price range, one has never heard or seen instead of pointing out the obvious is not really giving serious and sound advice. NonSense, is however doing just that. ;x(

My Dynaudio Contour fronts are also 4 Ohm, as is my Audience 42C center. Strangely enough I have no problems with lack o punch or dynamics in my room (18*18ft). And yes, sometimes i like it really loud too. So with less demanding fronts and a smaller room there definately should not be a problem för the RSX-1056. Unless your hearing is close to Beethoven's during his last years, that is.

Get the RSX-1056 and see if you really need any extra power. If you do, get an amp later on that will fit the bill. Only after you have gotten your receiver in place will you know if the extra money spent on an amp was for "nothing".

And yes, if space is a issue if do you decide to get an extra amp - loose the rack if if cannot fit what you sonically prefer.

Comment

• FernandoF
                                  • Nov 2005

Hello folks,

I would like to thank you for all your inputs. It was great to get different perspectives on the same subject. As in many situations, there's usually more than one correct answer !

I'm glad to let you know that I placed an order for an RSX-1056 Black earlier today ! I will bring it back to Brazil with me and do the right thing, which is to audition it with my speakers, in my room.

If after some time it gets clear that I need additional power for my Dynaudios, then I will think about adding an amp (such as the RB-1070 or 1080) or even replacing it (if I really can't solve my rack problem). The dealer I placed the order with has a great upgrade program so I could even return my receiver and get a full credit on the purchase of, say, an RSX-1067.

Hopefully nothing like that will happen and I will be happy with my new receiver and with a few hundreds bucks saved !

Once again, thank you so much for your valuable feedback !

Fernando

Comment

• thyname
                                    • Jan 2005

Congratulations Fernando! It is good you got it with an upgrade policy. Were you able to purchase it with a discount?

Comment

• FernandoF
                                      • Nov 2005

Thanks, Thyname ! Yes, I got 10% off.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"