X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m1ke323
    • Jun 2006

HK Receiver to Rotel 1080 Amp Help

I just bought a Rotel 1080 to use for my tower speakers I am building. Previously I was just using my HK 225 receiver to power my speakers. I hooked up the amp with RCA cables from my HK receiver, I tried the Video 1 out, Video 2 out, Tape out, etc.

When I tried to use the amp to power the speakers, no sound comes out. Actually very very little sound comes out, with the room silent I can just barely hear what is suppose to be playing. I assume that the RCA line level is driving the speakers , becuase it is barely audible.

Now when I play the tuner on the receiver, it is a different story (Previously I was using Video 1, Video 2, DVD etc to try to get it to work). When the tuner is on the amp powers the speakers and plays the radio very loudly and the receiver's volume doesn't turn the volume up or down.

I checked the fuse on the Rotel, the protection light is not on, the remote switch is off because I haven't hooked up a trigger remote yet, the amp is powered on, and the switch on back is set to the unbalanced RCA inputs.

This is the first time I have ever used a seperate amp for my system so many I am missing something really easy. I always thought Preamps weren't required for power amps, but now I am confused and maybe my HK 225 won't work?

Thanks for the help guys

Mike
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

Doesn't sound like the rceiver will work. Does it have pre amp out connections?
    If it has rec out connectiond DO NOT USE THOSE, you won't be able to controll the volume, and you will blow something
    Greg

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

According to the manual, you should have a set of pre-outputs on the lower left. Attach the 1080 to the FL & FR outputs like Greg stated.

From you're description you definitely hooked it up to the REC OUT, be glad you didn't blow your speakers.

Kevin D.

Comment

• m1ke323
        • Jun 2006

I have currently tried the Video 1 out, Video 2 out and Tape out, all with the same result. A very low output, which I think is the line level.

Here is the backside of my receiver. http://manuals.harman.com/HK/QuickSt...5RearPanel.pdf

Comment

• m1ke323
          • Jun 2006

I accidently typed AVR-235 instead of the AVR-225. I looked at the backside of the AVR-235 and see the preout connections Kevin is talking about. I don't see the same preouts on the previous model, the 225. Can anyone confirm I need a new receiver to use the Rotel 1080 by looking at the backside of my Receiver with the link above? Thanks

Mike

Comment

• GregLett
            • May 2005

Originally posted by m1ke323
            I accidently typed AVR-235 instead of the AVR-225. I looked at the backside of the AVR-235 and see the preout connections Kevin is talking about. I don't see the same preouts on the previous model, the 225. Can anyone confirm I need a new receiver to use the Rotel 1080 by looking at the backside of my Receiver with the link above? Thanks

Mike
            That's correct Mike, you need a receiver with pre amp outputs. The one you have only has an out for a sub. If you hook up the sub out to the 1080 you will get the low frequences.
            Greg

Comment

• m1ke323
              • Jun 2006

Ohh Great. Haha. I started out this summer buying a projecter, and building a screen. For the screen I thought I needed a upconverting DVD player and a HD Tuner for the projecter so I got that. Then I decided I needed new speakers, so I am building the TMWW speakers. Which in turn made decide to get an amp. Now I need a receiver. I am completely replacing my HT setup. It is a good excuse at least. I knew I needed a new receiver soon, but I wanted to wait for HDMI switching to come down. Hmm, now I am on the receiver hunt. This could take a while.

Comment

• GregLett
                • May 2005

Sell the receiver you have on Agon, and buy one used that has a pre out.
                This way you can use the 1080 now and wait untill you can get the receiver you want.

Or you can just buy a used rotel pre amp (the cheap one) to use for now.
                Greg

Comment

• m1ke323
                  • Jun 2006

I ended up grabbing my Denon 1906 from another room and got the amp to work. Something weird though, currently I am only driving some cheap bookshelf klipsh, but am building the 4 ohm TMWW speakers by Dennis Murphy. My HK receiver which only puts out 55x5 and 65x2 in stereo seems to drive these little bookshelves to the same volume?

Will the 1080 be a sufficient amp to drive the TMWW once they are built. I liked my movies at reference level most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"