X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Help pick a receiver for a friend

A friend of mine is looking to upgrade his system, he's purchased a bunch of new Energy C-series speakers and is diving in to 7.1. Unfortunately the budget won't allow for a full seperates system like the new Rotel 1068 and a 1075 and 1080 amp set up. At least not all at once and not now. So this is what I've recommended:

The least expensive 7.1 capable receiver he can get. (His main criteria are DPLIIx and/or Logic 7.) Then a Rotel RMB-1075 amp to power the 5-main channels, utilizing the receivers power to run the rears. Then as he gets the money over time he can upgrade to the 1080 and likley a 1068. As such the power capabilities of the receiver aren't important as it will only be used as a processor other than for the rears. I've recommended he look at Yamaha, Denon, HK and Pioneer as well as Marantz (which he currently owns and likes).

So my questions are this:

What models would you reccomend based on the above criteria. (Keep in mind we'll require 7.1 analog outs for the external amps now and down the line.

Is there anything different you would do or can recommend?

Thanks

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hmmm, if he likes the Marantz why change? Is it not a 7-channel unit?

Yamaha has released a couple of new 7-channel receivers which would give your friend access to IMHO the best selection and implementation of DSPs around. Also, their bypass mode is quite good for serious 2-channel listening. The RX-V1400 is listed at $799 and the RX-V2400 is listed at $999.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• mazuly
      • Feb 2003

Hi Jason,

I like the following manufacturers for receivers:

1) Rotel (of course)
      2) NAD
      3) HK
      4) Integra (expensive)

I think your friend should start listening to above and maybe some other brands and see which he/she likes best. Then you should push him/her toward Rotel

Thanks,
      Maziar

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Well, for budget receivers with high capability, I do know that Yamaha and Onkyo have both put out some new units in the past year that are supposed to be pretty good. I've had good experiences with Yamaha in the past, and still use my 4-year old Yamaha receiver in my higher-middle class bedroom setup.

CHRIS
        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Hmmm, if he likes the Marantz why change? Is it not a 7-channel unit?
          His wife already snagged the old one for her system :LOL: And yes no 7.1 on it anyway...

Then you should push him/her toward Rotel
          I originally recommended the new 1056 but the budget is just not there for it and a 2-channel amp and 7.1 is a must have.

He wants to go seperates but he's got to do it step by step due to budget. So seen as how he'll likley upgrade to a seperate processor in a year or so I don't want to waste much money on a receiver now. It seems the RX-V1400 is the least expensive receiver with 7.1 outputs from Yamaha, the 2803 from Denon, the AVR 330 from HK and the SR7400 from Marantz. Does anyone know of a decent quality, less expensive 7.1 capable receiver or is the +/- $800 price range it for 7.1? If so it looks like he might be "stuck" (sorry don't mean to make it sound so bad, they're all good machines) with one of these and at most a 2-channel amp to supplement the mains.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I'd say get the 1056 anyway and forget about 7.1 for the time being...or pick up a super cheap used receiver or amp from a pawn shop to drive the rears. I just don't see the sense in buying even a $300 receiver if you're going to throw it away in a years time...get the Rotel he wants now and then start saving up for the 1070 or 1080 to drive the mains and then redirect the 1056's front amps to the rear...or just keep the cheapie receiver doing that (or use that for Zone two)

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"