X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScubaVideo
    • Jul 2006

Very lost: Rotel RSP1098 vs. Denon 4806 A/V receiver

Hi - I've trumbled through most of the threads here - amazing stuff!

I'm in the middle of a wall reconstruction project (for a 43' Pioneer Elite plasma - to be hung on the wall, all wiring will be in wall) and I've become thoroughly confused along the way while researching the rest of the HT system I'd like to put in place to complement the plasma...

On a number of recommendations I've narrowed it down to Rotel for separate components (I really [really] like the way the 1098 looks and performs) but I'm lost in trying to analyze the 1098 w.r.t. its video capabilities (specifically newer formats like 1080). When compared to something like an integrated A/V receiver like the Denon 4806 - I'm not sure how to make the comparison fairly...

Here's what I think I want (all advice/best practices/gear suggestions would be greatly appreciated...)

TV watching (primarily by wife and kids):
    - I'll use the media receiver that comes w/the plasma and get a cablecard (from my cable operator). My wife (and kids) are absolutely intolerant of extra (or fancy) remotes - so I want to leave TV watching to be as simple as possible (plasma tv remote will be the only they will need...) - this will NOT be wired into the 5.1/6.1 system (just using the flat panel speakers that come w/the plasma).

DVD watching (primarily myself w/wife/kids/random friends):
    - Today it's through a "HT in a box" - but soon either through Blu Ray player or an upscaling DVD player.

[So how do you connect one of these through the 1098 and get the higher res. output? Or do you bypass the video (direct to the media receiver on the plasma), and only feed the 5.1 audio through the 1098?]

Tivo replay:
    Is anyone got a Tivo connected through their 1098? Does this even make sense?

Streaming audio/video from home network:
    Suggestions for how to connect this [I've got a 1TB NAS on my home network]? I would (optimally) like to stream audio/video from this device to the system.

The reason for the questions is that I'd really like to choose the Rotel solution, but the Denon makes all (or most of) this so darn easy.

I know the 1098 is an older product, and (hopefully) with the introduction of HDMI 1.3 Rotel will upgrade their offering. That could easily be 12-18 months away, so I'm looking for something that will work now, and that I'll be happy with for the next 2-3 years...

All advice/suggestions welcome...

Thanks,

- Matt
  • sirbogey
    • Mar 2006

From what I read you are upgrading for hometheater reasons and you are looking for more up-to-date connections. Although I don't own any Denons, I believe you might be happier with it..

The RSP1098 is a processor, not a receiver, so you will need some amps on top of it. If you are looking for a Rotel receiver check out the RSX1057 or the RSX1067.

good luck

Comment

• shadow
      • Dec 2003

The 1098 will not be upgraded to HDMI. They will come out with a new model early next year according to threads on this forum, but it will not initially be 1.3, and I do not know if it will be able to upgrade to that level.

Comment

• nbourbaki
        • Jul 2006

I would opt for the Denon. The Audyssey MultEq Auto-Setup is awesome and HDMI switching with analogue to HDMI upconversion adds a lot of value. I've owned a Denon AVR-4802 for five years and the receiver has never had a single problem.

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

What do you want, functionality of all the latest and greatest, or do you want a better sounding unit?

Denon is close to Rotel, but the edge still goes to Rotel for movie viewing. Rotel wins, no questions asked, in the music (2ch) arena.

So you just have to figure out if you can live without HDMI switching for the moment or can wait till Rotel brings out their new unit later this year (hopefully).
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• gd
            • Jan 2003

Everything in your post says 'convenience-first' to me... also no mention of music... so I would opt for the Denon... also look at Marantz for (what I believe to be) smoother, more musical sound... Rotel sounds better than either, IMO, but insofar as you have a specific connectivity plan, they might come up short... not sure, but you might need a workaround to hookup your 1TB NAS.

No mention of your speakers or the room they service, but if they're smallish and efficient -- and you have a proper powered sub -- the Denon will likely drive them without a problem... if you're more discriminating in your speaker choices and wind up with difficult-load speakers, you might consider adding an outboard power amp, as a step toward separates, while retaining the Denon's functionality as a prepro, which few standalone pres can match (receivers tend to be firstest with the mostest in this regard).

Receiver-as-pre is a fairly popular way to go anymore.
            greg (gd to you)
            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"