X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sridhar mahadevan
    • Feb 2004

Problems with 1098 and 1075

I just purchased a 1098 processor along with the 1075 amp,
    on the basis of quite a few stellar reviews.

So far, I must say I am disappointed by the performance of
    these units. Perhaps I have a defective 1098, but let me describe the
    problems I'm having, and perhaps someone more knowledgeable can
    help me sort them out (before I decide to return the units to the
    dealer).

1. Digital clicking noise: My 1098 produces clicking noises through
    the speakers (these are NOT the relays clicking). It sounds like a loss
    of digital synchronization. Sometimes, the clicking is more like a loud
    thump through the speakers. Most annoying. The problem is sporadic,
    and somewhat random, but definitely persistent. It could be electrical
    disturbance, or powerline sensitivity, but I am using a dedicated 20
    amp line (as well as a Monster HTS power center). My previous Marantz
    receiver produced no such noises.

2. Compressed sound and limited volume control: The sound from the
    1098-1075 is somewhat lifeless and lacking in dynamic range. Compared to my Marantz 880 receiver, the Rotel seems to compress dynamic range. Most annoying is that the volume control is poorly designed. Even at a relatively high setting of 50, the sound is barely audible, and I have to crank it up to 65-70 to really get decent dynamics. (Of course, then the 1098 loses sync sometimes, and blam, here comes the click or thump).

3. Sync delay loses information: In watching HDTV or DVD, each time there is a format change (e.g, from 2-channel to 5.1), the 1098 takes too long to synchronize and loses the first second or so of audio. This is really annoying. Once again, my previous receiver, the Marantz 880 was flawless in this regard.

On the positive side, the video switching is flawless, and very transparent (even on HDTV, I can't detect any loss of information). It is lack of component video switching that forced me to trade in my 880, but the audio problems with the 1098 are downright annoying, and not something I am prepared to "live with" in the long run.

Thanks for your help!

- Sridhar
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hi,

From your description, all the things that are happening to you sound (to me) like a faulty RSP-1098. The clicking, the synchronisation, the layer change etc - all digital processing faults. None of them happen on my unit ever!

Return it to your dealer for a replacement. It's worth it - all those 5 star reviews, product of the year etc are not for nothing

Geoff

Comment

• apotts
      • Jan 2004

This is a "feature" of the 1098 that some of us have to endure!

See http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...artRow=1&CFB=1

It's very hard to search for anything on this forum, not just because the software is SO SLOW, but because searching comes back with individual posts, not threads. So no shouting for not searching!

I have found that this clicking is RFI entering via interconnect cables, trigger cables or video cables.

Try removing all cables between 1098 and 1075. Use a cheap lamp with a nasty switch to generate RFI. Any better? If not, then I would suggest changing the interconnects between 1098 and 1075. I use twisted pair and RFI shielded types and not only has the problem almost totally gone, but the SQ has, er, doubled! Can SQ double? Dunno but it's now everything I was hoping for and more.

The relay clicking is the price you pay for avoiding quality sapping electronic switching. It should only happen when changing sources.

I would suggest talking to Rotel about it too. If they say they've never had this before, remind them that I returned one (Rotel UK) for this very problem.

HTH

Andrew

Comment

• gostan
        • May 2003

Sridhar:

Sorry to hear about your problems with the 1098-1075. My new 1098-1075 are flawless so far. Only clicking is when switching sources, which is integral to unit design. Volume control is A-OK. Much better than my previous RSX-1055 Receiver. By the way, I had a bum 1055 receiver which Rotel attempted to fix twice without success. My dealer arranged for Rotel to simply take the receiver back for return and I upgraded to the 1098-1075. Try changing your interconnnects between the 1098-1075 asap and if that does not help, then immediately return the 1098 to your dealer for exchange.

Good Luck,

Stan
        Stan

Comment

• Adz
          • Jan 2004

You stated, "Even at a relatively high setting of 50, the sound is barely audible, and I have to crank it up to 65-70 to really get decent dynamics."

I wonder if I have a similar issue. I calibrated my system using an SPL meter and followed the instructions on page 35. That is, I set the meter to 70 slow response, C-weighting. Then I increased the master volume on the 1098 until the meter read 75dbs on the left front speaker. To get that reference reading, I had to crank up the volume to 83!. I know I've been told before that reference level is almost always unbelieveable loud, but that seems a bit much. The right speaker was then adjusted to -1, the center to approx -3, the side surrounds to around -5 or -6 and the back speakers to -6 as well, while the left front is of course at 0. Not sure why such differences between the left speaker and the other 6 speakers ---- DOES anyone know WHY and does this sound like a problem I should have Rotel look at?? When I play movies, I have to turn the volume down to around 70-75. Anyone, please advise. Thanks

Adz
          Adz

Comment

• apotts
            • Jan 2004

Adz,

This doesn't look too bad, my vol is at 74 to get 75db front left. Have you got particularly insensitive front speakers? This would bear out, since you are having to cut your rears. Or are you using bell wire as your front speaker cable....?

To further my original RFI post, I also wonder whether it's the new 1075's that are prone to interference via the interconnects. The reason - I use an Arcam P85 power amp for my L and R (for great 2 ch stereo). The triggers turn the 1075 off for this mode. With a CD paused and me generating the RFI, I get NO clicks.....

Also, do you get any hiss (1098 muted)? With my old IC's I got plenty, with the new ones I get none...

Andrew

Comment

• Adz
              • Jan 2004

Thanks for the reply. For speakers, I am using Definitive Technology all around, the fronts are the BP2000TLs. Def Tech was one of the recommendation for speakers from the tech guys at Rotel that I spoke to as they said this brand among others like B&W worked well with the Rotel pre/pros - something about low impedance. Anyway, I still can't get over why it takes turning it up to 83 (out of 99) to get the 75 reading. For speaker cable I am using Monster Z2 series and I biwired the highs and mids. I know Monster maybe pretty lame for the audiophiles out there (these were not cheap cables but again I've since learned that Monster makes a pretty good profit margin for what they give you) but could that really be the problem, if I have one to begin with?

Adz
              Adz

Comment

• apotts
                • Jan 2004

Adz, you could try swapping a cable from front to back, then a speaker from front to back.... That will tell you which, if any, post amp component is causing the attenuation.

The fact that R is quieter than L is not related to the fact that the R speaker cable is longer is it..?

Comment

• whmacs
                  • Oct 2003

Hi Adz,
                  Hmm, I have Jamo THX D6 speakers all round (4 ohms) and using the internal test tones 75db on the left speaker is 74 on the volume control. My current speaker balances are:
                  L: 0
                  C: +1
                  R: 0
                  SR: +3
                  SL: +4
                  BR: 0
                  BL: +1
                  Sub: +3

And to be honsest I have my sides and rears pumped up by around 3db two high, but I really like rear effects .

The Def Techs are all powered speakers aren't they? Do they have any sort of volume control that you could adjust to balance things out a bit?

cheers,
                  Stephen

My Home Theatre
                  My Home Theatre

Comment

• Adz
                    • Jan 2004

Thanks for the responses. My right speaker cables/wire are further away but my right is at -1 and my left reference at 0 -- so not much of a difference. Its interesting that the Jamos speakers are set at the +3-4 range from the reference left while mine are very negative. The Def techs all have powered subs built in which is pretty cool but there is no volume control per se except for the sub itself. What do you think about my speaker cable - could that be it and do you think I made a mistake in getting the monster z2 with this system? Also, how far way are your mains from your sweet spot?

Adz
                    Adz

Comment

• whmacs
                      • Oct 2003

Hi Adz,
                      My distances are (all in metres):
                      L: 5.1
                      C: 4.8
                      R: 5.1
                      SR: 3.3
                      SL: 4.2
                      BR: 2.4
                      BL: 2.4
                      Sub: 5.1
                      LB: 2.4

I do have the surround backs and sides wound up a bit (I'm still grinning like an idiot from the amount of surround information the RSP-1098 puts out compared to my Onkyo). But at a 75db test tone with the left speaker set to 0db the correct values would be:
                      SR: 0db
                      SL: 1db
                      BR: -4db
                      BL: -4db

cheers,
                      Stephen

My Home Theatre
                      My Home Theatre

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"