Happy with 2channel performance from 1068?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • revelman
    • Jul 2006

Happy with 2channel performance from 1068?

I was wondering how many of you guys are happy with 2 channel music from your 1068? Do any of you guys substitute your 2 channel listening with an integrated amplifier like a creek, krell, jolida? And if you do substitute your 2 channel listening with an integrated amplifier, are the differences worth it?

I love my setup using revel m22 and a 1068/1075 for movies. But for 2 channel listening, i think i can get more out of my speakers in terms of music than from using my 1068/1075. I could add a 1080 amp to see if it could improve things but im still gonna get the "rotel sound", which is not bad but im getting the itch to upgrade my 2 channel experience.
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Welcome revelman, what cd / dvd player are you using?

If it is of reasonable quality, you may get the best sound by using the analogue connections rather than digital.

You probably should be using the bypass mode on the 1068 to avoid any digitisation of the signal by the processor.

I have compared the 1068's 2 channel to a Rotel 990bx preamp (was top of the line) and there is not a huge difference if using the bypass mode.

Stereo may sound a bit different though, depending on which settings you have stereo set to, eg large or small speakers, crossover, tone etc.

the 990 preamps sound should be better than a similarly priced integrated amp, so if the 1068 sounds close to the 990 in 2 channel, that is some sort of guide as to how it performs

Hope I have not confused you

Hope this is of some help

Comment

• revelman
      • Jul 2006

I'm going to get a music hall cd25.2 and run it through the analogue connection. I was using a panasonic dvd player sd77 for both dvd and cd. I know the music hall will be a vast improvement over the panasonic. So if i were to run the cd player through analogue, using the 1068/1075 vs. a krell kav400xi, will there be a notable difference where it would make sense to use the krell over 1068/1075? I have some disposable income right now so i am thinking of ways that i can improve my 2channel music listening.

Comment

• bleeding ears
        • Nov 2004

Revelman, the Krell and other gear I am not familiar with, however there will be others that will be familiar with it and can offer opinions.

Anyone?

I have little doubt that if cost is not the deciding factor,improvement can be made on the 1068, particularly if you go to a pure 2 channel setup rather than a ht setup.

It just depends on where the budget stops.
        Last edited by bleeding ears; 24 July 2006, 20:36 Monday.

Comment

• Bluespower
          • Sep 2005

I've posted this before, but you seem to be in the same place I was back in January.

"Over the winter (in a thread piloted by Geoff) I became obsessed with the idea of having a two channel pre incorporated into the system. Integrating a conventional pre amp sounded like a hassle (having to set the two channel volume control to a "history mark") each time you wanted to use surround. After doing a lot of research, I discovered a handful of stereo pre amps that had the "pass thru" feature that would make everything work the way that I wanted. After agonizing over the prices, reviews, feedback, etc I rolled the dice and ordered the ModWright SWL 9.0SE".

"The ModWright is a tube/solid state hybrid and is simplicity at its finest. It has remote control for volume and mute, that's it. When it is first powered on the volume control returns to zero and the mute circuit is activated. It takes about 45 seconds for the tubes to warm up and then it switches out of mute mode. I bought the Rotel RLC-900 to control the power-up/shut-down of the gear (works great). I have my RCD-1072 cabled to the ModWright and my RDV-1060 to the RSP-1068. Now when I power up the system the default is a pure two channel system. When I want surround, I turn on the 1068/1060 and flip one switch on the ModWright (PassThru). When the PassThru is active the volume control on the ModWright is deactivated and the system volume is controlled by the 1068. Couldn't be simpler and I couldn't be happier."

I've lived with it for six months and have no regrets. It's a little pricey, but it gave me the improvement over the 1068 in 2-chan I was looking for and let me keep the processor for everything else. Best of luck...
          Bluespower

Comment

• Wardo
            • May 2006

Hey Bluespower.
            with you config. how do you get the signal from the pre-amp to your amps?
            Originally posted by Bluespower
            I've posted this before, but you seem to be in the same place I was back in January.

"Over the winter (in a thread piloted by Geoff) I became obsessed with the idea of having a two channel pre incorporated into the system. Integrating a conventional pre amp sounded like a hassle (having to set the two channel volume control to a "history mark") each time you wanted to use surround. After doing a lot of research, I discovered a handful of stereo pre amps that had the "pass thru" feature that would make everything work the way that I wanted. After agonizing over the prices, reviews, feedback, etc I rolled the dice and ordered the ModWright SWL 9.0SE".

"The ModWright is a tube/solid state hybrid and is simplicity at its finest. It has remote control for volume and mute, that's it. When it is first powered on the volume control returns to zero and the mute circuit is activated. It takes about 45 seconds for the tubes to warm up and then it switches out of mute mode. I bought the Rotel RLC-900 to control the power-up/shut-down of the gear (works great). I have my RCD-1072 cabled to the ModWright and my RDV-1060 to the RSP-1068. Now when I power up the system the default is a pure two channel system. When I want surround, I turn on the 1068/1060 and flip one switch on the ModWright (PassThru). When the PassThru is active the volume control on the ModWright is deactivated and the system volume is controlled by the 1068. Couldn't be simpler and I couldn't be happier."

I've lived with it for six months and have no regrets. It's a little pricey, but it gave me the improvement over the 1068 in 2-chan I was looking for and let me keep the processor for everything else. Best of luck...

Comment

• gianni
              • Nov 2002

All pre outs from your 1068 will go to the respective amp except for the L&R mains - they go to the Modwright. The outs from the Modwright go to the amps in for the L&R main.

In 2ch, it is as if the HTpre/pro does not even exist. For movies you power both up and the mains signal from the 1068 passes thru the Modwright unaltered and proceeds on to the mains amps just like all the other channels - the Modwright is transparent in this scenario.

Comment

• gianni
                • Nov 2002

After agonizing over the prices, reviews, feedback, etc I rolled the dice and ordered the ModWright SWL 9.0SE".
                After lots of my own looking around, this is exactly what I plan to do soon. But first, I need to finish some other projects because I am certain that once I start playing around with this I will not get much else done for a while.

Comment

• Bluespower
                  • Sep 2005

Exactly as gianni explained.

In addition to the CD I also have a PC (music server) connected to the "pre". I use a digital connection from the PC to a stand alone DAC and then two analog connections to the "pre".

I have my dvd feeding both the "pre" and the "processor". The "processor" gets a digital connection (for DTS/Dolby material) along with six analog connections (for DVD-A). The "pre" gets the two remaining analog connections (for the times I want to choose 2-chan material from a DVD-A disc).

I also have the "tape out" of the "pre" connected to an analog input of the "processor" so that I can pipe any material I'm sending to the "pre" to the "processor's" zone 2.

It may sound a little complicated but it works quite well and gives me alot of flexibility. Good luck in your quest.
                  Bluespower

Comment

• revelman
                    • Jul 2006

Exactly as gianni explained.

In addition to the CD I also have a PC (music server) connected to the "pre". I use a digital connection from the PC to a stand alone DAC and then two analog connections to the "pre".

I have my dvd feeding both the "pre" and the "processor". The "processor" gets a digital connection (for DTS/Dolby material) along with six analog connections (for DVD-A). The "pre" gets the two remaining analog connections (for the times I want to choose 2-chan material from a DVD-A disc).

I also have the "tape out" of the "pre" connected to an analog input of the "processor" so that I can pipe any material I'm sending to the "pre" to the "processor's" zone 2.

It may sound a little complicated but it works quite well and gives me alot of flexibility. Good luck in your quest.

How much better is your 2channel music listening now that you are using the modwright? Are the imporvements subtle or like night and day?

Comment

• Wardo
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by gianni
                      All pre outs from your 1068 will go to the respective amp except for the L&R mains - they go to the Modwright. The outs from the Modwright go to the amps in for the L&R main.

In 2ch, it is as if the HTpre/pro does not even exist. For movies you power both up and the mains signal from the 1068 passes thru the Modwright unaltered and proceeds on to the mains amps just like all the other channels - the Modwright is transparent in this scenario.
                      That is very good thinking! I like the 2ch sound from my 1068 but i know it could be better, 70% of my time is used listening to 2 ch.
                      I see a 1070 in my future.
                      Thanks guys!

Comment

• gianni
                        • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Wardo
                        That is very good thinking! I like the 2ch sound from my 1068 but i know it could be better, 70% of my time is used listening to 2 ch.
                        I see a 1070 in my future.
                        Thanks guys!
                        Wardo,

You may be aware, but thought I'd mention it just in case. A 1070 (I'm assuming you mean a rc-1070) will work in this scenario however keep in mind that it does not have a HT bypass feature. This will involve an extra step in that you will have to adjust volume on the 1070 to a pre-calibrated mark (which you determine) every time you want to watch a movie. Also you will probably be going thru 2 preamp stages depending on the setup (the 1070 and that of your HT pre or receiver). A preamp with a bypass feature such as the Modwright will do just that - not add any gain or otherwise alter the signal.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"