X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

RSP-1068 vs Denon 3805

G'day,

Has anyone performed any head-to-head comparisons between the Rotel RSP-1068 and the Denon 3805?

I know someone with an Electrocompaniet integrated stereo amp, and they want to get into HT. This amp would be used to drive the front speakers, so the HT receiver would just be used for decoding the DD/DTS signal and powering the centre and rears. The speakers used are easy to drive, and the amps of the 3805 would be quite capable of driving them.

Orignally, I was thinking of getting a 3805, but decided on the RSP-1068 + RMB-1075 because I thought the 2-channel performance of the 3805 was woeful, and also because the speakers I had in mind needed more powerful amps. It cost about $1000 extra, but was worth it because of the 3805's limitations in these areas.

But if you already had a great stereo set-up, and easy to drive speakers, then the limitations I mentioned of the 3805 are already covered, and I'm wondering whether spending the additional $1000 by getting the RSP-1068 and an amp for just the centre and the rear speakers is justified.

I guess it boils down to this: if you compared an RSP-1068 and a Denon 3805, both using the same amplifier, and connected to the same easy-to-drive speakers, would you notice a difference? And would that difference be worth an additional $1000?

Has anyone made such a comparison?

--Geoff
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

You may want to read GregoriusM's threads on the RSP-1056, which he compared to the Denon 3805. There was no comparison, the 1056 ate the 3805 and spit out the bones.

A 1068 + amp should walk all over the 3805.

Of course, the comparison will be closer if you're using an external amp with the 3805. The internal amps are the weak links in most mainstream receivers. But the 1068 should still outperform in any case.

Edit: Found the thread. It's here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=7593

And GregoriusM didn't start the thread, but he did contribute to it. My bad. Still good info in there though.

Comment

• DrJRapp
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2003

I upgraded from the Denon 3801 (which was a predicessor to the 3805 with the same amps so similar sound) to the RSP 1066 (predicessor to the 1068 ) with an RMB 1075. The transition was an a real eye opener to what a difference there can be between consumer electronics (Denon) and audiophile grade gear such as Rotel. Describing that difference in words is difficult, the clarity, definition and weight of the sound was so remarkably improved. The best metaporic comparison I can make that you may relate to is like watching a VHS tape vs watching a DVD.
      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• skipm
        • Jun 2003

I went from a 3801 to a 1098 and I think if you took an informal poll of the regulars here, you would find 25% to 35% to be ex-Denon owners. That should tell you something.

-Skip

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Ex-Yamaha (flagship) owner myself but listened to the 3801 (was that the previous model?) and there's no comparison with it and my 1066, the 1068 is even better supposedly
          Jason

Comment

• kurtholz
            • Feb 2005

yeah me to, i went from 3805 to 1067/1075 to 1095, it was a bad move, as i am infected with the uncurable upgraditis disease

1067 is going back to dealer for a Krell showcase now, and if i don't get help soon, either a 1090 2 channel or a Krell 3250 3 channel

won't even get into the speaker infection raging thru my blood

on a serious note, the improvements are absolutely incredible,go the Rotel route, it's worth a few bucks more

Kurt

Comment

• shep
              • Dec 2004

went from 3801 to rb/rc1070

I also made the jump from Denon to Rotel. The difference is night and day. Still using the 3801 for home theater (no upgrading until I have a better tv and ht speakers), and I have the Rotel gear in a separate room with my B&W N804 for stereo listening. Funny, I'd rather listen to music these days than watch movies (used to be the other way around)...

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                The transition was an a real eye opener to what a difference there can be between consumer electronics (Denon) and audiophile grade gear such as Rotel.
                Rotel is Audiophile grade? Isn't it too cheap?
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• DrJRapp
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2003

Michael

see this link http://www.audioemporium.com/rotel_new.htm
                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• GregoriusM
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2000

Good link! Thanks!
                    Gregor

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"