RSP-1066+RMB-1095, or RSP-1068+RMB-1075?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

RSP-1066+RMB-1095, or RSP-1068+RMB-1075?

G'day,

I can get the following combinations for the same price:

(a) RSP-1066 AV pre/pro + RMB-1095 5x200 amp; or
    (b) RSP-1068 AV pre/pro + RMB-1075 5x130w amp

The ideal combination would be the RSP-1068 + RSP-1095, but that's beyond my budget for now. So I'm looking for recommendations on either combination above.

I tried to listen to both setups, but the dealer had them in different rooms, and a direct comparison wasn't an option at that time. I listened to the 1095's driving some Sonus Faber speakers, but I wasn't that impressed (I think these speakers need a better amp).

I'm slightly hesitant over the RSP-1066 -- from reading the posts on this forum, it seems like this model has a few problems (hiss, clicks, etc). I'd really like to have the 1095 amp, but does it sound better than the 1075 amp? Do I really need a 200w amp over a 130w amp?

I'm mainly interested in sound quality (especially 2 channel), which is why the RSP-1068 appeals, but I'm worried that I'll be kicking myself if I get speakers in the future that really need a 200w amp.

Any thoughts?

-- Geoff
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Geoff,

I'm mainly interested in sound quality (especially 2 channel), which is why the RSP-1068 appeals, but I'm worried that I'll be kicking myself if I get speakers in the future that really need a 200w amp.
    The extra improvement in stereo quality that the RSP-1068 has over the RSP-1066 is (in the opinion of most posters / reviewers) is very well worthwhile.

So - I'd get the RSP-1068 and RMB-1075 now and upgrade by adding a RB-1080 for stereo (bonus of going 7.1!) when and if you get better speakers. This is a tripple bonus:
    1) THe RB-1080 is a worthwhile step-up in sound quality for stereo even with your current speakers
    2) You get to enjoy 7.1
    3) You get to feed the "upgraditis" beast without actually having to throw away / sell anything!

Geoff

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Easy choice..go with the 1068/1075 combo. As geoff says you can always add the 1080 for front duty later.

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

The choice is simple, the RSP-1068 and RMB-1075 would provide the best bang for the buck. Get the 1080 later or sooner :lol: .

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Man you guys read my mind! 1068 and 1075 and add 1080 later for better 2 channel when you have the funds :T

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• jlee
            • Aug 2004

That's what I'd recommend too (1068 with 1075 with 1080 later).

However, I will add that the 1095 is significantly better than the 1075 in 2 channel and 5 channel (as well it should be for twice the price). It will have a lot less distortion at higher listening levels and is much more musical all round. I've been testing the 1080 vs. the 1095 for pure 2 channel, and the 2 are close enough that going with the 1075 now and then adding the 1080 for the 2 main channels is a good idea.

If you can swing it though, I would go 1068 + 1095.

Comment

• hired goon
              • Aug 2004

Thanks everyone for the opinions. Sounds like the 1068+1075 combo is the way to go for now. I must admit it was my preferred option, but I needed to confirm that there were no horror stories from others before I plonked down the $$$.

On a related issue, does anyone have recommendations for interconnects for these?

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Cat Cables without hesitation. Link's at the bottom of the page

Jason
                Jason

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                  • May 2004

The 1068 + the 1075 is the way to go. I know that this has been said, but I wanted to post so that I could have a total of 69 posts :heh:

G

:grab:

Comment

• jlee
                    • Aug 2004

My personal recommnendation is the Harmonic Technology Interconnects, even the entry level Precision-Link is outstanding. I tried every cable at my local dealer and was so blown away with the HT stuff that I changed all my cables to HT everything. Dollar for dollar, this stuff is high end at a value price (if there is such a thing as "value" in this expensive hobby ).

Comment

• redbears
                      • Aug 2004

I already had a 1075 and decided to buy a 1066 + 1080, the 1080 makes a huge difference to my speakers over the 1075 (even bi amp the speakers using four of the amps from the 1075 isn't anywhere as good as the 1080).

Bear in mind that three components cost me AUD$3,500 so this is a very good setup for the price. Also my previous receiver/processor was clearly inferior to the Rotel.

Like I have said in another post, how good the Rotel setup is depends on what you had before. But I can honestly say that the 200W stereo amp is the best bit of HT/Hifi gear I have bought since day one! :T :T

I am not knocking the 1068, just looking at the options from my perspective. :righton:

Comment

• hired goon
                        • Aug 2004

I had another thought: my CD player is a Yamaha CDC-755 5 disc changer. It's a few years old, and I'm not sure of its specifications.

For the same price as an RSP-1068, I could get an RSP-1066 and an RCD-1072. Would the sound quality of an RSP-1068 plus an old CD player be better than the sound quality of an RSP-1066 plus a beaut new RCD-1072 CD player?

I'd like to get the RSP-1068, but if I'm using a dodgy source, then perhaps it is wiser to get a better source than a better processor? Which would give the best 'bang for buck'?

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Get the 1068. You can save up later for the better player. Besides you'll always be wondering "what if" if you didn't get the 1068. At least that's my opinion.

Jason
                          Jason

Comment

• jlee
                            • Aug 2004

The 1066 2 channel analog although good for a processor/preamp, is quite poor in terms of pure preamp standards... so any benefit from the good CD player like the 1072 will get "lost in the maze" of the 1066... go with the 1068.

Comment

• hired goon
                              • Aug 2004

Okay -- today I picked up the RSP-1068 and the RMB-1075. Got quite a bargain too (AUD$3200 for both, list is around AUD$4000).

I was tempted to pick up a RB-1070 while I was there, but that can come later.

Thanks everyone for their recommendations

-- Geoff

Comment

• Azeke
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2003

Congratulations Geoff :T .

Enjoy your new toys,

Azeke

P.S. For future, reference don't compromise on the 2 channel amp's power when you decide to purchase.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"