X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shauno
    • Jan 2006

Faulty RSP-1068

Hey all,

I was watching a DVD yesterday, just plain old DD 5.1, with very low volume (someone asleep in the next room), and suddenly all the speakers went *crackle* *pop* and stopped - there was also a slight burning smell in the room (like a fried cap/resistor). I turned everything off, and disconnected everything (worried that it was my speakers or RMB-1075 at fault), and slowly reconnected everything one step at a time.

The current symptoms:
    I'm only getting sound from the RSP-1068 on CD or Multi inputs (which are both on bypass). DD/DTS decoding seems to work (as it's still auto-detected correctly), but no sound. I figured a dead decoder board of some kind, so tried other inputs (Video1/2/3/tuner) on bypass mode, but no sound from them either.

Everything else (OSD, etc) seems to be working fine... just no more sound apart from CD/Multi on bypass mode. I've boxed up the unit, and I'll call International Dynamic (Australian distributor) tomorrow to find the nearest repair centre.

Has anyone else had this problem?
  • RACER4551
    • Apr 2004

Sounds like you lost the digital board.In other words,the circuit or process that encodes the digital inputs.Seems to be a common problem in some units.

Comment

• CombatWombat
      • Jul 2006

Keep a tight reign on International Dynamics

I have had dealings with them for years now cant say I have every had a good one ... lets hope you problem is delt with well

Good luck and sorry to hear about your loss
      LOL

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Yup, the exact symptoms of the digital board going out. Should be a quick and easy to diagnose fix.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Stevebez
          • Oct 2003

Ouch - sorry to hear - hope you get it back to 100% soon.

Comment

• tech_table
            • Jan 2006

My brother inlaw and I, both have 1068/1095, his 1068 just got the same exact symptoms as you're, He turned in the dealer for digital board replaced, mean while they lend him the 1066, took him awhile to get it back, he just picked up his 1068 a couple months ago, plus he forgot to turn in the 1066, it been sitting at the house for more than 3 months, I guess, it's his now,... what a lucky dude. LOL... always got free stuffs. 8) not long ago the dude kept a pair of B&W SCMS surround speaker, when he got his B&W bookshelf in service. I guess our dealer so nice, and they don't remember stuffs too well I think. LOL..... :T

Comment

• pbarata
              • Feb 2003

The same happened to me with RSP-1066. I had to wait 8 months for the replacement. Just ensure to borrow an equivalent pre-amp for the meanwhile.

You can read my history at http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=13420

I though that RSP-1068 was prune to this kind of faultiness.
              Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
              Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• shauno
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by pbarata
                The same happened to me with RSP-1066. I had to wait 8 months for the replacement. Just ensure to borrow an equivalent pre-amp for the meanwhile.
                From your thread, it looks like a different problem. As others have stated (and my repairer & InterDyn confirmed), it appears to be a dead DSP board - the repairer gave an estimated max 2 weeks to confirm, diagnose & replace the dead board.

I'm moving house at the moment, so the rest of my gear is boxed up ready to move - probably the "best" time for something to be repaired

Comment

• shauno
                  • Jan 2006

My replacement digital board is on its way to my repairer... it's *so* hard to survive without a processor for 2+ weeks!

Comment

• shauno
                    • Jan 2006

Update: My 1068 was back from the repairer two weeks ago, with a new DSP board. Worked fine until yesterday, when (somehow) the unit blew a fuse!

Hopefully this is the last problem...

Comment

• sirbogey
                      • Mar 2006

sounds like a lemon; I'd ask for a replacement unit

Comment

• WI Rotel
                        • Jul 2006

:cry:

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"