X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Muttley
    • Jun 2006

RSP-1098 questions

Hi there,

glad I found this site I've been offered an ex-demo RSP-1098 for (hopefully) a decent price. Have been reading everything I can on it (loads of info here -thanks), but would like to confirm the LCD "problem" - only composite sources are displayed - is that still the case?

I see there are different versions of the LCD - and real difference between these?

I've read Rotel have some new models planned for 2006/2007 - will they most likely drop any upgrades for the 1098, or keep providing firmware?

Thanks very much.
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

You mean the TFT screen NOT LCD right???? No that is not true...you can have other sources besides composite. I am sure they will give us upgrades for HD-DVD and HD-DTS I hope ,as I paid a fortune for my 8 month old RSP 1098!!!
    Rotel always manages to screws there customers one way or another..Why I don't know ,but that is Rotel for all of us!!!
    My 2 cents!!!!!!!!!
    Cheers!!!!!!!!1

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Actually, the TFT screen can still only display sources from the composite inputs. That's never changed. There's been 3 versions of the TFT screen that I know of, all manufacturing differences no actual performance differences.

In addition, Rotel will provide fixes for any bugs that may happen to appear, but there will be no updates or support for the new formats. The costs to do so will be prohibitive. The replacement for the 1098 won't be out until later in 2007.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Muttley
        • Jun 2006

Yeah sorry meant TFT ops: Composite only That's a real shame - don't think I can get a simultaneous HD/Composite feed from a couple of my sources.

Bug fixes is all I'd be worried about

Comment

• chinets
          • Jun 2005

Kevin D,
          So when HD-DTS and HD-Dolby come out we will have to throw our 1098 away or get a new Processor..just for a simple download??? Why would the cost be prohibitive. If I spent so much money on a high quality equipment, why wouldn't Rotel help the customers who have there top end gear with support and upgrade the format with HD DTS etc..???
          Can you expalin that to all of us out there with top end Rotel gear???
          Are we all screwed here????????
          Cheers

Comment

• chinets
            • Jun 2005

Kevin D,
            You are right pal ,composite only!!!!!!!! Optical too!!!!!!!! Right? ops:

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by chinets
              Kevin D,
              So when HD-DTS and HD-Dolby come out we will have to throw our 1098 away or get a new Processor..just for a simple download??? Why would the cost be prohibitive. If I spent so much money on a high quality equipment, why wouldn't Rotel help the customers who have there top end gear with support and upgrade the format with HD DTS etc..???
              Can you explain that to all of us out there with top end Rotel gear???
              Are we all screwed here????????
              Cheers
              It wouldn't be a simple download. First off for the 1098 to decode the signal, it will have to have HDMI inputs. That's a new board that's added somehow. Then the DSP chip inside the 1098 will have to upgraded as there not enough processing power to decode the new formats. Add in all the other things in the signal path that would need to be changed to accommodate the new formats and you're looking at $1500-2000 at least. It's cheaper to get a 1099 and sell the 1098. That's not even adding in the cost Rotel would have to pay in license fee's to release another product supporting the new formats.

The formats were not even being thought about when the 1098 was released, hell even the way the new formats are coming over (HDMI 1.3) still isn't finalized yet. It's part of the hobby, while $3k is a lot of money to most everyone here, it's not high enough to warrant a $2k upgrade. Take a $7-10k Lexicon processor, yeah $2k for an upgrade isn't so bad.

Also, keep in mind the new players coming out will be able to send some form of the new formats out 7.1 outputs all ready decoded, there's no reason to rush out and get a 1099 or something else, just use the multi-inputs until the formats are proven enough to warrant getting a pre-amp with the decoders built in.

With the way Rotel holds it's value, you would be much better off just trading up rather then getting a hardware upgrade. I'm basing this off of prior experience and looking at what some other companies charge for hardware upgrades. You could spend $3000 on a high end Denon that loses half it's value when you take it home and another half when a new model is released..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Muttley
                • Jun 2006

Personally I don't get too concerned about upgrades (altjhough they're a nice extra). Technology and consumer electronics moves so fast nowadays that you're lucky if anything you buy remains "current" for more than 6 months.

Comment

• chinets
                  • Jun 2005

Kevin D,
                  Thanks, You make lots of sense!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Will there be any ouboard whatever machine or gear that you could hook up to ones current 1098 and get HD-DVD and all the HD-DTS and HD Dolby formats???? An out board HDMI for audio???? Just a curious question!!
                  Thanks again Kevin D with your detailed answers. Can you answer also the Kris Deering thread I put on this site....I need help there!!!
                  Thanks man for your help!!!!!! I owe you one pal!!!!!!!!!
                  Cheers,
                  Chinets

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"