X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

ViewSonic PJ501 Out of the box review

I went out to Now Audio Video one evening to look at progressive scan DVD players, thinking maybe I'd find something I liked. So, I rolled in the store right at 8:00 PM, thinking I had 1 hour to look. I didn't know 9 months ago they changed their store hours to close at 8! GRRR. They did unlock the door for me to look. But the computers were down, so I wasn't able to buy anyway.

So, a little ticked off after telling the guy about how the service guy there let me down on setting up a time to come to look at my RPTV, I left. Oh, he said he'd have Nick the service guy contact me. Still waiting.

I thought after I left, well, I'm out here, so I can go out to BB while out. Why not. So, I cruised out there, checked out DVD players, and low and behold, they had 3 projectors. Well, after just talking on here to people saying I needed a point of reference to select a PJ, I thought why not give them a serious look.

So, I looked at them, the X1, the ViewSonic PJ501, and one other one, a Sony I think. With my fairly large room, and some ambient light, I decided to give the one a try with the highest lumens value. That's the 501. It also accepted RCA component video, I liked that too. 800 X 600, it supported all the formats, 480P, 720P, 1080i. I really suspected this would just be a 14 day rental. As in getting my money back within the return period. So, I put it on my CC, not even thinking twice.

Now to the projector, the ViewSonic PJ501, a toy right? I mean who is ViewSonic?

Factory Specifications:
    LCD Type 3-panel 0.7" TFT active matrix LCD
    Resolution SVGA 800x600, compressed to 1024x768
    Pixel Format 800 Horizontal x 600 Vertical
    Lens Manual zoom/focus (manual x 1.2)
    DISPLAY Size 30"– 300" (measured diagonally)
    Throw Distance .7m-.9m (2.3"-29.5") That doesn't make sense really...
    Lamp 150W UHB Compact, 4,000 hour rating**
    Brightness 1,500 Lumens
    Contrast Ratio 400:1
    Keystone Correction ±10 degrees
    Aspect Ratio 4:3, 16:9
    AUDIO Speakers 1W monospeaker
    INPUT SIGNAL Video RGB analog, NTSC, NTSC 4.43, PAL, PAL-M, PAL-N, PAL60, SECAM, 480i, 480p, 575i, 720p, 1080i
    Sync Separated and Composite
    Frequency Fh:15-78kHz; Fv:56-120Hz
    COMPATIBILITY PC From VGA up to XGA
    Mac® Up to XGA (may require Mac Adapter)
    CONNECTOR RGB Input 15-pin HD, D-sub (x1)
    Composite Video RCA (x1)
    Component Video RCA (x3)
    S-Video Mini-Din 4 pin (x1)
    Audio In RCA (x1)
    POWER Voltage 100–120 V AC / 220–240 V AC, 50–60Hz (universal)
    Consumption 210W (typ), 130W (whisper-mode)
    USER CONTROLS Basic Standby on/off, menu (left, right, up, down), input, reset, mute, indicator (lamp, power, temp)
    Remote Standby on/off, video, RGB,menu, keystone, position, menu select (left, right, up, down), reset, freeze, magnify (+, -, off), volume (up, down), mute, timer, auto, blank
    OnView® Brightness, contrast, V. position, H. position, H. phase, H. size, color balance (red), color balance (blue), aspect ratio, auto, RGB, keystone, blank, mirror, start up, volume, menu color, timer, language, auto off, Sync on green
    OPERATING CONDITION Temperature 32º F – 95º F (0º C – 35º C)
    Humidity 10% – 85% (non-condensing)
    DIMENSIONS Physical 277mm (W) x 211mm (D) x 61mm (H)
    (10.9" x 8.3" x 2.4")
    WEIGHT Net 5.4 lbs (2.50 kgs)
    Gross 14.86 lbs (6.74 kgs)
    REGULATIONS UL, FCC-B, c-UL, CE, TUV/GS, CB Report, PCT
    WARRANTY Three-year limited warranty on parts and labor, first year Express Exchange service, one year warranty on lamp. *
    OTHER Mirror reverse image, upside down image, digital keystone correction, DDC 1/2B

Offering EDTV and HDTV capability, 1024x768 optimum resolution, and standard (4:3) and wide-screen (16:9) aspect ratios. Also accepts VGA from computer source, as well as standard 3 RCA component video.

1500 lumens of light with 2000 hour bulb life in standard mode, but upped to ~4000 hours of lamp life in whisper mode.

The projector has backlit buttons on the top back side of the projector for power on from standby, input selection, keystone, reset, and menu 4 way button, all backlit. Only the standby/on button is lit during standby.

It has a drop down elevator rod to change projector height, and an adjustable screw leg on the left side. Not real sure why the right side doesn't have one, but it doesn't. Maybe that's fairly standard on PJs.

The menu system is easy to use, and very straightforward. a big plus. All the normal adjustments, brightness, contrast, color, etc... also there's the format mode selection for widescreen 16:9 or 4:3 standard aspect ratios. The PJ is a native 4:3 projector. Seen as a negative to many DVD viewers, but for me, with this as my normal television for now, 4:3 is nice because it increases my screen size for TV viewing. Within each mode, you can resize the image to 3 different sizes.

Focus is manual, zoom is 1 button zoom. Remote is small, but fairly easy to recall where important buttons are by feel. That's a good thing since it's not backlit.

NOISE: What noise? This projector just hums along ever so quitely. In fact, my dual CPU computer running in the same room is more noisy than the projector. It's super quite in whisper mode and not really bad at all in regular mode. I'd say it's a quite 26-28 dB without a sign of annoying whine. In fact, sitting 8 feet behind it, I can't hardly hear it running at all during a movie.

retail price is 1299. Warranty advertised on www.viewsonic.com is 3 full years, with 1 year exchange for repair and 1 year on the bulb. That's pretty darn impressive too, maybe the best warranty in the business.
    Best Buy said the warranty was 1 year. But I think they are wrong according to ViewSonic.

The bulbs are pricey at 500 retail each. Ouch. But with almost 4000 hours expected in whisper mode, that may not amount to more than 1 every 1.5 years to 2 years. (maybe more in my case, using the PJ for television viewing as well as movies.)

Image quality: It's a little unfair for me to truly rate the image quality of my PJ at this point because I don't have a screen yet. I think any fair critique should mean proper setup.

However, I will tell you this:

1. On cable source, the image is soft, I'll admit. It's not great.
    2. On directv source, the quality improves greatly. Lucky for me, I get my local channels on DirecTV now. I keep cable for when it's pouring rain, and as part of my cable modem package. I mean for 8 bucks a month, who wouldn't keep basic cable?
    3. On DVD non-progressive, the quality is better still yet than DirecTV, I think. Not bad at all.
    4. On DVD Progressive 480P, ahhh, now this is where things get interesting. The projector is capable of big, beautiful images and colors, with gobs of detail and clarity. Ok, so reds can be a little washed. It's still not bad!

I watched the Superbit edition of 5th Element the other night, and my jaw truly dropped to the floor, seeing what this little 1299 projector was capable of. It was truly awesome, even projected on the wall.

I can't wait to get a screen and see what this thing is really capable of. I've adjusted my component locations such that I'm up to a pretty large screen size. (measurement coming)

You know guys, as much as I really wanted to get into a more expensive projector, thinking I'd get so much more, I'll admit, the enjoyment from this PJ is enough that I think it's a fantastic entry level PJ and beyond. I think I can be happy with this for a good while. Maybe 2 years anyway. By then, perhaps the dollars and cents will make more sense to move up the food chain. Can you say bedroom projector or backup PJ?

So, today, I went back to Best Buy, and converted my credit card purchase to the Best Buy card. I got 6 months same as cash, paid 10 bucks for a rewards program that will get me 55.00 in merchandise credits,(can you say DVDs?) and found out not only am I getting a 100.00 rebate on the PJ, which I knew about, but also getting a View Sonic TV card for a computer, lol. I love it. A great deal, AND free stuff. :B

Oh and as for cables:, I initially had to patch together one componet cable I built for my other LCD projection TV I bought, and 3 other spare 75 ohm cables I had. Well, last night I built myself an 8 meter Tigress component video but with Cardas rhodium connectors. I'm running an 8 meter Quadcat S-video from my Lexicon MC-12, so it's good for TiVo Directv and cable sources, and my w 301 disc DVD changers.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Claude D D
    • Jan 2003

Aren't front projo's a blast Doug? It's incredible the quality of picture a guy can get for well under $2k. And nothing beats a "LARGE" 90inch plus screen in your house! I forgot all about my audio gear once I got my X1 up and running.

A friend of mine once said "You could have a $500 HT in a box surround sound system and a 100" screen with a decent front projo and 99% of the people would be more blown away by that as a HT experience than a $20k surround system and a 32" TV." I see what he means.

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
      • Jul 2003

Lex-

Cool stuff. Right about the wow factor. I had my epson playing on a sheet and the kids were freaking out how cool it was. Can't wait to get a legit setup and some component cables from you........

Jeff

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Hey guys. Yes, Claude, it's a blast to have FP now. I'm seeing things now that I'd never seen before really.

I settled on 105" diagonal. 84 X 63 4:3 screen soon. I know, I know, 4:3, yuck. Well, this doubles as my television as well, so I wanted to keep my 4:3 as large as possible. I can cut the size down if I want to via aspect options anyway.

So, I am actually happy to have a 4:3 PJ for now, instead of 16:9.

Jeff, whenever your ready for component, I'll be around.

Congrats on both you guys PJs!

Lex
        Doug

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Did you try the X1 at all? I'd be surprised if you didn't prefer the X1's image over the view sonics...at least looking at the contrast ratio's of the two machines. Given the 14 day rental period it would be work looking at IMO.

Comment

• efarstad
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2001

I'd second that one Lex...I don't wanna burst your excitement bubble...but 400:1 contrast will not give you the best blacks...and the X1 compared to the viewsonic would probably look better...but that's just my opinion based on all the reading and research I did before I got my Z1...but if you're happy then that's all that matters! But for $1,200 I'd definately consider the Z1 and X1...

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
            E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
            E-Cinema

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Andrew, respectfully, I am sure the X1 is a good machine in it's own right and I won't throw off on a product others here own and are happy with. But the PJ501 has one distinct advantage for my room, and that's light output. With multiple sources of ambient light, I think the extra 400 lumens (if actual), could be as valuable if not more so, as the added contrast. Not to mention the extra projected 1000 hours of bulb life. My projector is quite, is the X1 as quite? I don't know.

The X1 is also DLP, and while some people aren't suspeptible to rainbow, others are. There's also been mention of the lower line color wheels for DLPs as being potential for problem as mentined by Jon.

With the 501, I see very little screen door from normal viewing distance, maybe a couple of 3 times an hour I get a quick glimpse of screen door, and with a good source, have as good an image as a person could hope for for 1200 bucks. Really. I'm getting fairly realistic blacks, decent greys and shadows, so, what would I even consider changing for unless I wanted to spend another 2-3 grand?

You know, I realize nobody's used my PJ here. Many may not have even heard of ViewSonic. I took a gamble on it, since it was easily returnable. I wanted standard component inputs, and I liked the 1500 lumens rating. I really think I won with this PJ. There is no perfect projector. It's a matter of trade offs. Especially in the 1000-1500 range. And at this point, there's not much in terms of features or benefits, I'd trade for from what I have currently.

Perhaps you should consider the X1 instead of your Z1? Did you even try it?

Lex
              Doug

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I'm happy that you're happy with ViewSonic and that's really all that matters we were just suggesting that the X1 might be worth looking at given it wouldn't cost you anything.

Comment

• Claude D D
                  • Jan 2003

Hey Andrew and Doug,
                  You guys are more than welcome to come over and check out my X1.
                  It might be a bit of a drive though.
                  I find that any front projo I've seen is compromised by "any" ambient room light.
                  Having dark walls,ceiling and carpet makes a huge improvement in overall picute quality.Shadow detail is very good and blacks look black(on good transfers).I've found that having a 92" screen is very unforgiving on poor DVD transfers and breathtaking on excellent transfers.
                  The X1 has a little more fan noise than a HS10 but it is masked when the movie sound track is playing.I find it distracting at times during very quiet(or silent) parts of a movie.But it is not bothersome to my wife.I may build a hush box if it bugs me to much.
                  No screen door effect at all from where I sit (about 14 ft back).
                  This little projo blows me away for how inexpensive it is.I've had 2 guys from work come over this week that are going to sell their RPTV's and buy X1's.
                  Out of about 20+ people I've had over to watch movies,no one has complained about "rainbows"(maybe they're just trying to be nice??but then again I never mentioned them to anyone).I can see them if I look for them.But if I just kick back and enjoy the movie they are rarely a distraction.
                  I plan on keeping my X1 for 2-3 yrs then upgrading to a higher resolution projo if and when we get some decent HD programing.
                  Like I said if you guys are ever in the neighbourhood drop on by and check it out.

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

I don't think screen door is a problem at all with DLPs. Their archilles heel is the rainbows.

I'd like to see your PJ Claude. But the drive is a bit much, lol.

Erik, you snuck that post in while I was composing my last post.

All I can tell you guys is this, I wish you'd been here to see 5th Element Superbit on the ViewSonic. It would hush all criticism and prove without a shadow of doubt that the 400:1 contrast ratio is sufficient for quality imagery.

IMO, there's more to a projector (and more importantly, the image it projects) than just 1 set of numbers.

Also, I can't get 6 months same as cash on the Z1, and right now, given my large amount of upgrades this year, and the fact this was NOT a planned expenditure, that 6 mos same as cash is worth something.

Oh and keep in mind, I am gushing about the 480P performance without a screen! :LOL: Lastly, I have decided on a 4:3 screen with possible masking for widescreen. I just can't go 16:9 and loose TV 4:3 size.

Lex
                    Doug

Comment

• efarstad
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2001

I don't doubt the Viewsonics picture at all...for they make excellent computer monitors and business PJ's...so congrats...it sounds like you have a winner on your hands...enjoy! Cause that's what it's about anyway!!!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                      E-Cinema

Comment

• Pat
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

Doug, I know you have made your decision on the screen....but I think you should go for a 16x9 screen.
                        Movies should be bigger than TV

Pat's Page
                        Pat's Page

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Thanks E.

Actually Pat, I do have constraints for width. My screen is the maximum width I can handle in widescreen or 4:3. 83" 83" with frame becomes 87". Were I to go 16:9 screen, it still would have to be 87" frame and all wide.

Thus I get a lot bigger 4:3 image this way, and the screen is setup to handle any 16:9 or other variant format at the maximum width I can enjoy anyway.

Here's an interesting article with many reasons supporting my decision:

Lex
                          Doug

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Congrats Lex!!

I would expect the image quality on the View Sonic to be Excellent!
                            View Sonic is well known for their CRT computer monitors of which are
                            of high qulaity and standards!
                            If it looks that great on the wall. Imagine how it will show on the screen.

Good Stuff!!

Trevor
                            My HomeTheater S.E.
                            Sonically Enhanced
                            C5
                            Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Pat
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2000

Doug, I see what you are trying to say, but remember most of the 4:3 material will not have the high resolution of an 16:9 anamorphic DVD.

So in essence you are taking the lower res image and making it bigger and a high res image and making it smaller.

You said yourself that the cable tv source isn't all that great, but you want that to be your largest image???

Anyway, I'll stop bugging you...enjoy your new PJ

Pat's Page
                              Pat's Page

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

"So in essence you are taking the lower res image and making it bigger and a high res image and making it smaller."

Well, both are the same width, 83". Height is scaled according to the material format. So, 4:3 is taller. So, granted 800 X 600 relative to a widescreen pj may in fact loose some resolution for my budget projector. However, it's important to note that some 4:3 PJs are actually capable of higher resolution than other 16:9 pj's. There's another article on PCentral that illustrates this.

"You said yourself that the cable tv source isn't all that great, but you want that to be your largest image???"

Cable is mostly my backup 4:3 source. DirecTV is my primary. DirecTV can be pretty good, depending upon source material quality. Not always great, but not bad at all.

I want the capabilty of blowing it up, since I watch a lot of 4:3. But I can also scale it down for more condensed resolution.

Lex
                                Doug

Comment

• sfdoddsy
                                  • Sep 2000

I'd have to agree about checking out the X1 before making a final decision. I've owned (gulp) over a dozen LCD and DLP projectors over the past four or five years and the X1 has probably the best picture of the lot and is certainly the cheapest.

I know you wouldn't buy an amp or a speaker without comparing them to others, and projectors are the same. There are big differences even between comparably priced units.

I should mention, however, that since black levels are my biggest bugbear there isn't an LCD projector I could live with.

Regarding ambient light, the right screen can go a long way to helping that.

Cheers

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
                                  Steve's OB Journey

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"