X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Twincam
    • Feb 2004

RSP-1098 -"Loose" function wheel

Hi All

I just got my 1098 and so far I am happy with it. One small thing concerning the build quality though:
    The big Function knob/wheel to the left of the screen feels a bit "loose". I am not thinking of that it's very easy to turn/rotate, which is normal I think. It's more like it feels slightly loose and it will move a little bit if you gently press upp/down or sideways. It maybe moves a millimeter or so.
    I don't think it's going to fall off or so, but it doesn't feel high quality.
    In contrast, the Volume knob feels much more thightly secured.
    I have also noticed that if you look from above the Function wheel is not 100% "centric" when you turn it.

What do you think, is this normal?

Kindly regards

TC
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

It is indeed a bit wobbly, definitely not as solid as the volume.
    I don't really use it alot, but it works fine.
    So i guess it's just normal, nothing to worry about.

Comment

• Twincam
      • Feb 2004

Thanks. Yes, you might not use it a lot, but when you get new stuff it should be perfect. And it feels quite wobbly.

How about you other 1098 owners, what do you say?

I would very much appreciate your comments..if this is not normal (which it shouldn't be in such a high-class processor) I will try to bring it back to the dealer.

Best regards

TC

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

I guess you could describe mine as 'loose', but it's certainly not a defect. I'm sure it's from having that knob also function as a select.

If you tilt is towards one side (which I imagine you're doing) you are actually just 'half' pressing it in. Design wise it seems the button that gets pushed in for select is just around the middle shaft of the knob, allowing the knob to tilt a bit in any direction. I suppose a redesign that had the button for select be a larger ring around the edge of the knob would keep it from wobbling.

In all I don't think it will break any faster in the long run.

Kevin D.

Comment

• wmn
          • Mar 2004

Twincam,

my RSP-1098 have the same defect/feature on the Function knob.

Effectively thats not «look and feel» good for a Preamp of this class.

May be its why it is made in China...

Comment

• Jason Brown
            • Jan 2004

Yeah, my function knob turns easier than the volume knob. I'm sure it's because of the reasons Kevin stated. That was the first time and probably the last time I'm going to touch it.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I'm sure its just b/c its a function knob and as such it couldn't be as solid as the volume knob. I'm not at all worried about mine breaking

Comment

• Twincam
                • Feb 2004

Thanks for your input guys, they are very much appreciated. Please note that I am not worried that it's easy to turn, that's normal. The problem is more that you can push the button sideways or up and down one or maybe two millimeters (even when pushed in).

Kindly regards

TC

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"