X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Check out this new wheel from Fanatec!

Boy this thing is amazing looking! And initial impressions from people that have tried it say that it's on par with some of the wheels in the 1k-2k range. The base is going to be 450 from what I heard and then you have a choice of different rims, these rims are REAL regulation sized rims. In fact one video of the BMW M3 GT2 rim shows the guy driving a lap around a course getting out and taking the SAME rim out of the car and sticking it on the racing sim. This thing looks phenomenal! All CNC metal construction and such. Can support over 100 buttons I think I read.

Here it is with the basic F1 rim, there will be an advanced one that is a replica of what they actually use in F1.

Here is the window on the top to see the innards.

Here's the M3 GT2 wheel that the guy actually took out of the car and went straight to the racing rig.

Here are a couple video's introducing it, the owner of the company is from Germany so he's got a strong accent.

BMW Wheel
    [youtube]enuhpqGwOCs[/youtube]

F1 wheel and introduction to the Clubsport Wheel
    [youtube]SgnxlWXs_CY[/youtube]

It uses a quick release hub so you can swap any wheel rim they have for it right onto it even inside the game. It's compatible with PC and PS3, there is another version that's compatible with PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 but it's got less features because Microsoft won't license anything for the 360 that has features the 360 can't use. That wheel is called the CSR Elite, it's got the same base but limited buttons and a bit different buttons. Also it does not have the quick release hub, It is getting some optional rims as well but you have to bolt them on.

More information about it here,

And here is a picture of the CSR-Elite wheel that's compatible with the 360.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Huh... that's SWEET, Doug. I can't find it for sale on their website, though. It should be available by now, but all I can find is the previous CSR model. (not that I'm buying it, I just want to look at it more and in their shop)
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

The CSR-Elite is in pre-orders more or less, they are filling them as they get them. The ClubSport Wheel has been pushed back a bit, he's had a ton of new items in line and I think it's catching up now and he's having a hard time keeping up. The ClubSport will be here mid to late Jan at earliest and like April worst case scenario.

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

Man that is pretty insane. Nice looking piece. What is it about these that makes them better than some $100 job from the store? Accuracy and whatnot? More realistic feedback?
        -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Accuracy, more realistic feedback, quality of components. The $100 dollar wheels feel incredibly cheap, and like I said this one uses real wheels from real cars. What makes this one better then the 300 dollar jobbers like say a Logitech is that it's INCREDIBLY smooth. Part of the way it does this is in the shaft design, it uses a ballscrew where as cheaper wheels like Logitech's and what not don't. Another thing that makes it smoother and better then previous Fanatec wheels is that on previous wheels a lot of people complained about cogging, what this is, is the belts on those had horizontal ribs that ran the width of the belt, these teeth could be felt when turning. This wheel however has ribs that go the length of the belt there for you don't feel any cogging. FFB strength on this one is much greater, quite a bit of difference between something like this and anything sub 500 dollars. Even the Thrustmaster T500RS likely can't even touch this one on smoothness, and quality. This wheel should easily be a huge competing wheel for things like the Frex wheel, and ECCI.

ECCI

Frex

Frex Internals

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I still say I'd just by a go-kart :lol:
            Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

A go cart is nothing like driving a race car, and what about when its raining or snowing?

Comment

• impala454
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2007

The steering wheel in my dad's race car only cost like $50 :rofl:

Seriously though this is some neat stuff. I'd love to be able to build something like this some day. Maybe some kind of combo cockpit where you could swap the wheel in and out for a flight stick.
                -Chuck

Comment

• P-Dub
                  Office Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hdale85
                  A go cart is nothing like driving a race car, and what about when its raining or snowing?
                  I don't know about that, some carts are pretty fast and they can pull some real g's.

Hey, F1 races in the rain.

Seriously, those are some pretty cool looking racing wheels.
                  Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Some carts are very fast yes! But it's still not like driving a car, it can be just as dangerous or more even but it's completely different experience.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Just don't drive like this guy:

This is what I have for a racing setup. I enjoy it, although it's not perfect.

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007

Awesome setup Chris!

Some carts are very fast yes! But it's still not like driving a car, it can be just as dangerous or more even but it's completely different experience.
                        I have seen some of those kart races and they are friggin nuts. I think you're probably safer with motorcycle racing!
                        -Chuck

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

I wouldn't say "nothing". A nice used Italian shifter cart is pretty freaking fast/fun.

As for the weather... you slide more?

I certainly don't recommend this "at home" but JEBUS! 8O

[YOUTUBE]AGFXZmoy2bk[/YOUTUBE]
                          Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

I didn't say they aren't fast, I said they were, but driving a cart doesn't feel anything like driving a car.

Comment

• PewterTA
                              • Nov 2004

I'll stick with my Trans Am and Subaru WRX... they both are more fun to drive. LOL.

Well the Trans Am goes MUCH faster than the Go Cart.
                              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                              -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

I don't think a stock trans-am tops out that much faster then some of the racing carts. Some of those things can do a good bit over 100mph.

And racing your WRX or Trans Am also has other consequences, like say if you wreck them? There are plenty of reasons to race a SIM, especially since winter is fast approaching. Not entirely here yet since we haven't really gotten much snow....lol, not to mention the ability to race tracks from all over the country and world.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"