X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mohawk155
    • Dec 2007

Loose diamond tweeter housing on 802D

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum as well as to B&W loudspeakers. I purchased a demo pair of 802Ds from my local dealer and I have the following "problem".

The tweeters are obviously setup to float on top of the midrange housing. The issue is that they 'float' significantly differently from one another. One is as I would expect - it is centered and feels loose in a controlled manner. The other is looser and I can see the pad underneath it. The tweeter does not sit centered on the pad or the midrange housing. Instead it is 'rolled' to one side and is much looser and "out of control" than the other tweeter. If I move the 802D around, you can hear the tweeter housing jiggle against the midrange housing - sounds like a teacup rattling against the teacup holder.

Note One: When I went to inspect the speakers one of the diamond tweeter grills was dented in a little bit. I have no idea is this is the same loose tweeter but it does make me suspect foul play from a customer.

Note Two: I haven't played the speakers yet. Amps will be here on Sunday.

I just don't think this is right - anyone see something similar or know of a fix? I hate to make a fuss out of it if is is normal for the two to be that different from one another.

Regards,
    Gregory
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I highly doubt that its normal. Those are high end speakers and I'm sure QC is much better then that.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

There is a post or something from the back of the tweeter to tighten it...but if you noticed the grill was dented in, it suffered a hit or something during shipping and I would request that it be fixed or a new pair sent to me. End of story when paying that much for them!

-Dan
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
        • Jun 2006

Both tweeters on my N801's are tight. Something is wrong.

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

DM3000 - N series of the 800s had fixed tweeters so you can't compare. 800 S & D have a sort of decoupled arrangement.

I agree with the other posts however as this may impact on sound quality if it vibrates and even buying demos you are paying alot of cash. That being said there is an element of "what you see is what you get" when you buy demo stuff - thats why it is cheaper. Regardless of that it is still worth chasing up with the dealer.
          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

The demo speakers you bought still have the complete B&W warranty as if you bought them brand new/factory fresh. Just call the dealer to have them fix the issues you have found.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
              DM3000 - N series of the 800s had fixed tweeters so you can't compare. 800 S & D have a sort of decoupled arrangement.

I agree with the other posts however as this may impact on sound quality if it vibrates and even buying demos you are paying alot of cash. That being said there is an element of "what you see is what you get" when you buy demo stuff - thats why it is cheaper. Regardless of that it is still worth chasing up with the dealer.
              I'm pretty sure that mine are decoupld too. They are mounted on a pad that looks liek it is a hybred of foam and rubber, and the tweeters do not wiggle.

Comment

• caleb
                • Aug 2004

If I read your post correctly it is the TWEETER HOUSING that is loose on the marlin head mid range unit ? ?

If this is the case it may just be a ase of tightening up the holding bolt.

Unfortunately this entails removing the kevlar unit from the marlin head and doing the job.

Not a task that I would entrust to myself.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"