X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICEMAN70
    • Apr 2006

Just bought the RSX 1057....

Hi guy's

Just got the RSX 1057 on Saturday. Had a chance to play around with it all day today. Well first off, the 1057 replaced my 3 year old RSP 1066 as a Pre/pro. I have the RSX 1057 hooked up to my RMB 1075. I just have the front 2 channels running out of the 1075 and have the center and the surround speakers hooked up to the receiver.

I have Paradigm Studio 60 v3's with CC570 and Studio 20 v3's.

I balanced everything today using the SLP meter.

So far the RSX 1057 sounds much better than my 1066 did. Much clear with better bass. Maybe that has to do with the front 2 speakers running just from the RMB 1075 instead of all 5 channels. The music in bypass is much cleaner now.

I bet the sound quality will get better as i break in the receiver. Gave my old 1066 to my old man. He is very happy. I am also very happy that i got this receiver at a good price to last me till Rotel introduce new line of Pre/Pro's.

I have listened to RSP 1068 for a long time till i decided on the RSX 1057. I just couldn't hear the difference in the two with Paradigm Studio speakers. And i just couldn't justify spending the extra $700cdn for the 1068.

So for people who can get this receiver for a good price i say go for it. Just get a separate amp like the 1080 to run your front speakers and hook up the rest to the RSX 1057. You will not be disapointed.

I will keep you guy's posted as i brake the receiver in.

Cheers, 8)
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Congratulations ICEMAN70 on your new toy. I thought the 1057 had HDMI and auto-calibration, I guess not. Enjoy.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• foeth
      • Apr 2006

I bet the sound quality will get better as i break in the receiver.
      No, it won't

Comment

• bleeding ears
        • Nov 2004

Iceman, hope you enjoy the new unit and continue to post your impressions of the 1057.

Does it say anything in the manual about a burn in period ?
        If so how many hours do they suggest? (sorry foeth) :lol:

Also, how does stereo mode on the 1057 sound compared to bypass mode?

For the truest comparison of the two modes you will need to change the on screen settings to NO sub for stereo mode, as the bypass mode doesnt allow the sub to work and you should set the fronts to large, because that is what they are set to in bypass mode.

Also you would probably be best setting the contour controls to 0 for bass and 0 for treble

I think this is the only way to get a true comparison of the modes.

Did you have the sub off, speakers set to large and tone off with the 1066?
        With a sub running you will possibly get a less clean sound, even if the sub is turned down low.

Interestingly I find stereo mode (on my 1068) cleaner sounding compared to bypass, mainly because stereo has contour adjustments which I utilise whereas bypass mode doesnt.

Pete

Comment

• ICEMAN70
          • Apr 2006

Hi guy's

The burn in period is my opinion. I always thought receivers or amps or pre/pros, speakers allways sounded better after some use. But that's my take. Other could have different say on that.

Also the 1057 does have HDMI and as the calibration goes, i like to do that manually with my SLP meter. That way i know each speaker has the same volume.

And for the comparison with my RSP 1066, i had the same settings done to the RSX1057 as i did with the 1066. Like i said i think the difference was my rmb1075. Because i am running only 2 channels through the amp now my speakers seem to have room to breath.

I haven't had a chance to tweek everything yet, i will play around more. I havent even watched a DVD yet. I been just adjusting to listen to Music for now.

Comment

• Blindamood
            • Sep 2003

Just curious...why are you only using 2 channels of your RMB-1075, rather than all 5 ?
            Brad

Comment

• bleeding ears
              • Nov 2004

There may be more to burn in or ageing of electronics than most realise.

The owners manual of my RC990bx preamp says,

"Like other high grade components, this unit requires ageing to stabilse the performance and characteristics of the parts and circuits, so they can deliver the highest possible sound quality. Once all the connections have been completed and the system is fully assembled, turn on the power to the system and conduct the ageing process in conjunction with other components". "The aging time required is normally about 100 hours" (Rotels words not mine)

In my opinion whether you notice it or not is another thing, and even if the sound does change, all the adjustments etc you have made during that time would most likely change your perception of what has occurred anyway.

With a more complex unit such as the rsx1057 this ageing could be more relevant than with units with less circuitry?

Either way it is obvious that Rotel believe in it and thats good enough for me!

Pete

Comment

• foeth
                • Apr 2006

Either way it is obvious that Rotel believe in it and thats good enough for me!
                I wouldn't expect Rotel to say anything to discourage the true audiophile, who is incapable of independent thought and represents a very easy source of money, from buying their product. They are also very careful with cables; "Talk to your dealer" sounds a lot better then "proper shielding and cheap cables work really well". Modern equipment needs 1 or 2 minutes to heat up, some components far less.

So no, I do not think that what Rotel believes in is true. I think that what Rotel can measure and publish has a better chance at that.

Comment

• shadow
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by foeth
                  I wouldn't expect Rotel to say anything to discourage the true audiophile, who is incapable of independent thought and represents a very easy source of money, from buying their product. They are also very careful with cables; "Talk to your dealer" sounds a lot better then "proper shielding and cheap cables work really well". Modern equipment needs 1 or 2 minutes to heat up, some components far less.

So no, I do not think that what Rotel believes in is true. I think that what Rotel can measure and publish has a better chance at that.
                  Very well stated. You see this attitude with a lot of manufacturers who do not want to "rock the boat" for their dealer network and their sale of cables and other high profit accessories. Congrats on a great receiver! I would like to know if the HDMI 1.1 will pass a PCM audio data stream from the HD-DVD/Blu ray disc player after the player has converted the original data stream to PCM?

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

Arguing about burn-in always leads to the same point, no where. Everyone get back on topic, the burn-in debate has ended.

Kevin D.
                    Last edited by Kevin D; 23 May 2006, 10:23 Tuesday.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                      • Nov 2004

Foeth, It doesnt really matter if this ageing is fact or fiction to me. Ageing happens anyway so if there is any benefit we all will get it after some hours of use.

I will just take Rotels word for it, because it is of no consequence.

I take note of reviews and user manuals but in the end I try to keep an open mind and and judge equipment and cables for myself.

I wonder if B&W or Krell believe there is anything to ageing?

PS Do you find your Onkyo dvd player better than a cd player?

I use the Onkyo DVS 555 and find it does a great job.

Pete

Comment

• bleeding ears
                        • Nov 2004

Oops ! Sorry guys .

Comment

• foeth
                          • Apr 2006

If some off-topicness is allowed:

Do you find your Onkyo dvd player better than a cd player?
                          Dunno, didn't do a lot of testing... choosing a new CD/DVD player is on the to-do list, but not for this year. I mainly bought the Onkyo to go with the receiver...

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"