X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

2.1.1 Bugs, please verify!

I've discovered a couple of bugs with 2.1.1. If everyone could plese test to see if it's global and we'll let Rotel know.

1) Dolby Digital EX limited to one speaker no matter the settings. I'm only getting the left output (CB1 I think) when EX is applied. Doesn't matter if the disc has EX or you are applying it over a non-EX disc.

2) Once you set the input to DD +DPLIIx Cin it defaults to that if there isn't an EX or ES sountrack. PLIIx can be applied to DTS or DD. However, if you have a DTS 96/24 track, it automatically switches to DTS 96 +XS. That's fine as PLIIx can't be applied to DTS 96/24 tracks. But, when you switch back to a regular DD or DTS track the default is now ???? +XS, not PLIIx. It needs to remember the default of PLIIx after a forced XS enable, or not automatically enable XS on soundtracks that can't have PLIIx applied.

Other than that, everythings going good here and PLIIx does sound better than XS! #1 is serious, #2 can wait as there aren't that many 96/24 tracks.

Kevin D.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Kevin D,

I have tested #1 DD EX and I am receiving sound out of all 7 speakers, (applied with a non-EX disc).

Did not test #2.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Kevin D,

Also #1 is not a problem on my system with disks like T3 on DD-EX.

#2 I need to dig up a DTS 96/26 to see....

Geoff

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Double post - Back button in IE

Comment

• lcajiga
          • Aug 2003

Hi Kevin,

#1 - I have sound for all channels. Have youi checked if with upgrade it changed the configuration of back channel speakers? Just shooting around.

#2 - You are right. If I put a DD or DTS DVD it switches to DD + XS and DTS + ES and I cannot change to DD PLIIx even with the SURROUND + button. I can get DD PLIIx with any stereo signal or if I switch my Music DVD from DD or DTS to PCM Stereo.

Regards,
          Luis

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"
          Regards,
          Luis

http://www.luiscajiga.com/HT.htm

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Hmm.. Yeah I've got the center back set to small2. I'll go through and see if large2 works. I've turned it off and on via the hard power switch and still the same. I'll probably write down all my settings and try a factory default.

Luis, I have no problems switching to DTS or DD plus PLIIx, it's having to switch it back after every DTS 96/24 track. To get PLIIx on top of a digital track you need to hit the SUR+ button and then use the left/right cursor buttons to go through the list.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Interesting. I'll make sure Rotel's tech's see this thread if they haven't already.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Hmm perplexing.. I did a factory reset and still only get the left center rear. It's driving me crazy because everything else works both rears except for DD EX.. Hmm.. I'll try reloading 2.1.1 later this week.

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

• Zzap
                  • Sep 2003

Unfortunately I can't test this because I'm only running 4.1 (current speakers have a very low WAF - Wife Acceptancy Factor - so I was only able to "negotiate" a 4.1 )
                  /John

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2003

Kevin,

Do you get the same problem if you run DD + DPL IIx Cinema on the DD - EX track? This will tell some things about the problem. For example if the DD+ DPL IIx works fine on the same source then that makes the problem really specific to the EX DSP processing. EX is in fact a matrixed mono centre rear signal derived from the rear left and right channels that is normally just duplicated in the two centre back speakers (Rotel's XS and Dolby DPL IIx do better). Equally if DPL IIx on the same source only works on one center back speaker then we have a different problem.

I would also consider reloading all three DSP EPROM updates. One bit of one byte wrong there could cause weird effects like this.

Good luck

Geoff

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

DD + PLIIx works perfect. It's just EX that gives one center rear. I'll probably reload again when I get my cable back from loan..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2003

Kevin,

How did you go with this? Did you ever get both center back speakers working on DD EX sources or just the one?

We've had a couple of posts from members (e.g whmacs) where they had odd things with the rears that went away wht a true power off etc.

Geoff

Comment

• DrBoom
                          • Dec 2003

I think I just found a rather small bug in the OSD of the 1098, with v2.1.1
                          I can't recall ever seeing it with v1.1.6 so I think it's firmware dependant.
                          It happens when you change modes, and then change your volume.
                          Let't say you want PCM 2CH mode, press the "PCM 2ch" button, then while your display still read MODE: PCM 2CH change the volume up or down.
                          When I do this, i get stuff like MODE: PC34 H where the "34" is the volume.
                          So the volume and mode display get mixed together.
                          Also happens with all other modes that I tried.

Anyone else have this too ?

Comment

• Olaf
                            • Nov 2003

Dear Geoff,

The problem reported by whmacs has now also been identified by me (see other thread on 7.1 setup and V2.1.1 bugs) as well as by poor Sithlord (who had his unit upgraded by the dealer/distributor).

Regards, Olaf

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"