How do you listen to music on your HT system?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Isaac
    • Jan 2006

How do you listen to music on your HT system?

How do you listen to music on your HT system? Do you listen using a surround mode like Dolby PLIIx and DTS or do you listen just through 2 speakers using a 2-Channel mode?
  • Industrial
    • Mar 2009

I use Bypass mode, to shut all digital processing off.

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Isaac
      How do you listen to music on your HT system? Do you listen using a surround mode like Dolby PLIIx and DTS or do you listen just through 2 speakers using a 2-Channel mode?
      For solo listening SACD multichannel audio 5.1

when source is Apple TV or CD, then DTS Neo 6 Music

For background listening: Party mode all speakers stereo
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

I don't. Cheap Onkyo HTIB. I listen to music on my 2 channel system.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I use Bypass and listen in 2-channel. On rare occasions, I'll play with the surround modes in my Yamaha RX-V1.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
            • Oct 2009

Usually two channel from my ERC-1 Emotiva CD Player in Direct(same as bypass above), but when lots of folks are over and we are all over the house I will put it into 7 channel stereo mode.
            "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
            -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I used to use "bypass" so that it was not distorted by any processing, until Dolby created DPL IIx. Now I use it all the time, which I think only enhances the music, not distorts it.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• whoaru99
                • Jul 2004

On the HT system usually with AnthemLogic.
                There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• HDBLU
                  • Jul 2008

I use 2ch and love it.
                  2ch Setup
                  Krix Neupohonix
                  Musical Fidelity M6i
                  Musical Fidelity M6CDP
                  Denon DCD-1510 SACD Player

Cables I Use
                  MIT

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Depends. For some music, I use just stereo mode. Direct Source is a bit better, but it kills my sub signal. I have Nautilus 805's as my main speakers. I need the sub. :B
                    For some music, I like to use DPL IIx and sometimes Marantz' own multi-channel music (sounds better than DPL-IIx with a lot of music).
                    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• naughty
                      • Jul 2010

im still comparatively a bit of a purist in this respect because i like to have the soundstage of the content to be as the producer of the content wanted me to experience it

so for stereo music it has to remain stereo because having speakers playing at different locations IMHO will reproduce identical frequencies at different phase relationships to each other which will not only affect the tonality by creating cancellations due to the contrasting phase but also the soundstaging and imaging also tend to get ruined

and the idea is that not all music is just there to make a noise so why try to spread it over multiple speakers since if the artist or producer intended it to be experienced in a multichannel environment it would have been a multichannel recording - if its recorded in stereo mode the other items that people consider enhancements i consider artificial - as for multichannel music to me it just isnt realistic to try and imagine that you are on the stage while any music is being performed cos that could only happen if you were one of the artiste's and performing as well

obviously if i was listening to a 7.1 channel DTS HD(ma) recording then i would want to listen to it with all the speakers playing because the producer intended me to hear it that way but stereo from a cd for example is best played back as stereo from a CD - it can not be enhanced with all those effects IMHO .... but that is only my own opinion and as such anyone is free to disagree with it :W

Comment

• emig5m
                        • Aug 2008

I personally could never stand any simulated surround modes. Just sounds too unnatural and gimmicky to me. 2-channel music sounds best in straight mode as it originally is to me... My B&W 804S's already have a very 3D and enveloping soundstage once the sweet spot is dialed in so no gimmicky simulated crap needed anyway! I honestly would like to utilize my entire surround kit 100% of the time, but like I said, all simulated surround modes just sound too unnatural and gimmicky. If they could sound as natural as listening to a natively encoded surround track like the Eagles Hole In The World 5.1 DVD then I would use it! I mean what do you really expect? It's expanding and encoding on the fly! Not like it's a sound engineer sitting there re-doing and re-tweaking it over and over until it's exactly right! Or maybe I've never heard a truly good DSP yet...

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

I'll approach this thread from a different angle because I've got a 2-channel system (floorstanders and a sub).

When I watch music DVDs I always evaluate the different tracks on the DVD, i.e. LPCM or DD 2.0 or DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1. Often the differences between the tracks are minimal. Sometimes the differences are substantial, usually being how prominent particular instruments (including vocals) are in the mix and sometimes where the instruments are in the soundstage.

To be really geeky I have recently been using a freeware piece of software called MediaInfo to provide me with a basic analysis of what's on the DVD. For example, does a higher Kbps mean better quality? The answer is generally yes if it's on the same DVD but it's not necessarily the case from one DVD to another. A good recording at a lower Kbps usually betters a lesser recording at a higher Kbps.

Apologies for the hijack.

Nigel.

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

I was always a purist, up until DPL IIx came out. Before that, every sound processing mode I tried from every manufacturer was, at best, a DETRACTOR of musical quality. I would only listen to music in its original format.

However, I feel that Dolby did SO well with DPLIIx, that it did not change or detract from the sound, and for the first time I felt that it actually ENHANCED the music. So now, yes, I use DPLIIx for ALL media, both music and movies. I really like the soundfield that it pulls back to envelop AROUND the listener. Much more multi-dimensional, not just a flat line of sound thrown at you.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Isaac
                              • Jan 2006

My MUSIC system is a 2.1 speaker system, like is said before, I got to have a subwoofer. My amp is a RSX-1056 receiver with my B&W's set to small speakers. I use it in stereo 2-channel mode which still uses the subwoofer for 80hz and below. I can't imagine it sounding better.

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

(whoops, I see that I already responded to this thread several months ago)
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jan 2006

I own 3 types of music discs:

1. Redbook CD (mostly studio recordings) - which I play in 2-Channel Stereo (by-passing any processing and using CD player DAC) and not utilizing the sub.

2. Blu-ray (mostly live multi-channel recordings) - played in multi-channel (limited to my 5.1 setup) using the best lossless soundtrack on the disc.

3. DVD-Audio - my CD player can read DVD-Audio lossless MLP soundtracks and output in stereo which is played back as per 1 above.

Comment

• Glen B
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jul 2004

I listen in 2.1 mode. Music streamed from my PC via an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 sound card.

Comment

• scarpi
                                      • Jul 2008

Two channel direct mode bypassing all tone controls. :T

Comment

• Blindamood
                                        • Sep 2003

I listen to two-channel music through my Logitech Transporter, connected via analog outputs to my Denon AVR-3808CI receiver. Since my L/R speakers are not full range, the Denon is set to Stereo (2.1). Audyssey is engaged, as it makes a HUGE improvement to the sound quality in my living room.

I listen to multi-channel music (DVD-A, SACD) through my Oppo BDP-83, connected via HDMI. The Denon applies Audyssey again, to the multi-channel PCM. SACDs are converted to 88.2kHz PCM by the Oppo, rather than running DSD straight to the Denon.

Blu-rays (music and movies) are bitstreamed to the Denon, enabling Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio to play in their full glory. Of course, Audyssey is applied here as well.
                                        Brad

Comment

• gimpy
                                          • Sep 2004

For listening to two channel cd's and LP's, I listen in stereo (no sub, speakers set to large), when listening to my sacd's or dvd-a's, I listen to my 5.1 channel surround. Every once in a while, I will change it up and listen to NEO 6 or 5 channel stereo, but not very often.

Comment

• Hammie
                                            • Oct 2005

I use DIRECT mode on my Denon 3808ci receiver.

I do not really like my music in surround unless it was originally encoded for it via blu-ray, SA-CD, or DVD-Audio.

Then again, I have never really played around with the other modes in the newer model receivers. Maybe I'll play around with it later today and see what I think.
                                            Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                                            Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                                            Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                                            Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                                            B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                                            Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                                            My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                                            Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Brandon B
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jun 2001

Direct (bypass), for both 2 ch and surround (SACD and DVD-A).

My mains have dedicated big woofs with an active XO making them pretty much full range, so I forgo the bass management for music.

Comment

• Theresa
                                                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by emig5m
                                                I personally could never stand any simulated surround modes. Just sounds too unnatural and gimmicky to me. 2-channel music sounds best in straight mode as it originally is to me... My B&W 804S's already have a very 3D and enveloping soundstage once the sweet spot is dialed in so no gimmicky simulated crap needed anyway! I honestly would like to utilize my entire surround kit 100% of the time, but like I said, all simulated surround modes just sound too unnatural and gimmicky. If they could sound as natural as listening to a natively encoded surround track like the Eagles Hole In The World 5.1 DVD then I would use it! I mean what do you really expect? It's expanding and encoding on the fly! Not like it's a sound engineer sitting there re-doing and re-tweaking it over and over until it's exactly right! Or maybe I've never heard a truly good DSP yet...
                                                I like DSP as on my now broken DSP-A1. For me I like to turn the processing down to a very subtle level, just perceptible as an increase in ambience. I hope my new Emotiva UMC-1 will be able to be used similarly. When I was young I had a "Hafler setup" that fed a difference signal to one rear speaker. It was quite nice when turned down with an lpad. Most music is mastered to "grab people" with a high level of compression and its not as if most studios use the best speakers for monitoring, so I really don't worry too much about "what the producer wanted."

Comment

• Theresa
                                                  • Jul 2010

Sadly, the UMC-1s DSP modes are unusable because they cannot be adjusted. DPL and DTS Neo:6 in their music modes are quite nice. Also, my surrounds don't get the delay from the miniDSPs that my front channels do. I will have to buy another miniDSP for the surrounds so that the delay can be adjusted. Not a big problem, but another $160 expenditure. I see no sense to try to emulate a control room or theater as the sound in them is not known for its fidelity. Personally while I love live music I am very much an introvert (Meyers-Briggs INFP) and I prefer listening at home.
                                                  Last edited by Theresa; 28 November 2010, 11:04 Sunday.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Theresa
                                                    Meyers-Briggs INFP
                                                    Hi Theresa. Going off-topic here, but thanks for the reminder about Myers-Briggs. I just retook the test at HumanMetrics and at this point in my life am an INTJ. I'd taken the Myers-Briggs several (7-8?) years ago. Out of curiousity I'm going to see if I can dig those old results up and see how much they've (I've) changed.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Theresa
                                                      I like DSP as on my now broken DSP-A1.
                                                      Me too, although my processor is an RX-V1. I seriously listen to music in bypass mode, but every so often I'll start rummaging through the various modes. And, honestly it can be kinda fun to listen to a football game from satellite feed in the sports mode.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Dec 2000

Originally posted by David Meek
                                                        at this point in my life am an INTJ.
                                                        If I remember right, David, that's exactly what I am, too. Is that the one that's labeled "Mastermind"? Very rare in the human population.
                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Sep 2004

As ever (I've taken this test about a dozen times over the past 20 years), I am and remain and ENTP. Ironic, somewhat, given the ENTP's general lack of consistency.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                            Is that the one that's labeled "Mastermind"? Very rare in the human population.
                                                            Yes, that's the one. Although I REALLY don't like the associations with that.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Dec 2000

Wellllll... it doesn't HAVE to mean "brilliant military strategist", or "swarthy evil criminal genius".

I prefer "dashingly good lookin' smart person that does things rationally".
                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by David Meek
                                                                Yes, that's the one. Although I REALLY don't like the associations with that.
                                                                You could always change it to mega-mind :rofl: (a surprisingly entertaining film I took my kids to see yesterday).

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

I use Dolby Prologic IIx unless I listen to SACDs or Blu Ray then source direct
                                                                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by wettou
                                                                    I use Dolby Prologic IIx unless I listen to SACDs or Blu Ray then source direct
                                                                    To actually answer the OP's question--same here (for about the last three months, after I fiddled enough with the DPLII (no x on my receiver) Music settings to get it to a sound I like. Before that, I always listened to however many channels a recording offered depending on format.).

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"