This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonewolf
    • Jan 2004

Actually i gotta say i can see why JP is frustrated and i am quite annoyed as well. DO i hate Rotel - no definitely not. will i buy Rotel again - maybe, probably, not sure yet depends on what else is available at a similar price range. Do they make a nice product for the money, i think so, i havent used / tried the Outlaw series but not many other processors are available at the 1066 price range. I have also been told the sound quality is very impressive for the price and i like it so far. And i gotta say i disagree with Kevin's post when he says "Sorry for the rant, but everyone needs to look at the range of upgrades from the beginning, not just from when they purchased it." I frankly dont give a cr*p what they did or released before i bought my RSP1066. why do i say that? cos on the rotel website and at the dealers etc etc they are advertised as coming with (what might have previously been upgrades) as part of the stock standard release. I didnt realise that alot of those mentioned features had actually been upgrades as far as i knew it was part of the model.

And hence with all that beign stock standard (thats how the website advertises it) plus mentioning it can be software upgraded via the rj45 port , i figured / presumed they planned on giving us some future upgrades. Furthermore the RSP-1066 is still sold in australia as the current model, it doesnt say no more upgrades, it doesnt say it is about to be superseeded or has been overseas. It is still sold. So for anyone who buys it now in Australia expecting it to be future proof/ software upgradeable is going to be in for a rude shock really.

When i bought it it came with the firmware version v2.2.5, i have recently found out most likely the latest firmware available v2.2.6 is the last one for the RSP1066. I am certainly disappointed, the reason why i went the processor / power route was partly cos it was meant to be better sound quality. But i went for Rotel cos for the price it is a good product and has good sound AND cos i was told they are really good for upgrades. Now they are cos they have done alot for the ORIGINAL RSP1066, but they havent done much for MY RSP1066. and hehe, finally, maybe i was expecting too much but really for the money i am spending on my separates i would have thought and i did think they would last much longer especially when part of my reasoning behind my purchasing is to make sure it was upgradeable cos thats why i decided to upgrade in the first place / get rid of my onkyo amp cos it was old and outdated. And funnily enough to me the idea of 5 years for a hifi component being current isnt that long at all, i never imagined of actually upgrading /buying a new amp less than every 5 years, that will soon become a very expensive habit especially if you go into the more expensive separates.

But hey these are my beliefs and i also think too many people are too quick to attack people who may voice their disgruntlments or annoyance at a company. i find this happens in way too many forums,not just on amps but in telecommunications, in computers etc etc. I think Rotel are great in a sense for providing a decent priced product. I like the fact that they did provide alot of upgrades especially to the people who bought the first few versions of RSP1066. I like the fact that they do listen to their customers or so i am told on this forum and that their no.1 aim is sound quality. These are all great reasons and mostly why i went for Rotel. But i am abit saddened by the fact that the feature of it being upgradeable actually doesnt apply to me or my case cos i bought it close to the end of its life apparently and yet paid as much as anyone else for it and that is a let down. Oh well thats how the cookie crumbles.

Oh and another point i wanted to make was, its cool that all the software upgrades are free, thats AWESOME and i love it. I was thinking i woudlnt mind having to pay for perhaps a hardware upgrade that changes the chip or whatever to make it support DPLIIx or perhaps a hardware upgrade to make it into or close to a RSP-1068. I am not sure how foreseeable either is to do, i know the RSP-1068 has cosmetic changes on the chassis hence not really doable in that sense, but i mean a hardware upgrade to change things on the inside which might be able to be done with nottoo much changes or trouble and charge us for that benefit and keep the software upgrades free. Ofcourse this may go against their whole concept of their business and trading policies. perhaps its too much trouble to organise and thats fine, i am just saying, i personally wouldnt mind having a system where the software upgrades were kept free and for scenarios such as the DPLIIx where something needs to be upgraded on the inside, to be charged for a hardware upgrade, of course if that entails a very expensive fee then its not worth it anyway i suppose. just my view on things.

Comment

• JP
      • Feb 2003

Kevin, Those surround sound formats I consider to be omissions that the units were supposed to have and weren't implemented because of a rush to market. Those additions are supposed to be there, I consider them an after effect of all the comments from customers and especially this forum. I have come to the conclusion that yes I will have to spend a good amount of money for true 'upgradeability, hopefully Integra Research's new processor will offer that.

I will run down the list:

Added dts Neo:6 feature. -It was supposed to have it from the beginning.

Added Pro Logic II Music Panorama, Dimension, Center Width settings.

Most likely because of Dolby requirements for the format

Added 6.1/7.1 Channel output from Pro Logic II (with EPROM change.)
      I'll give you that one

Added delay times for CB speaker(s) in PLII.
      Well obviously you need delay times for your speakers

Added discrete IR codes for Pro Logic II Cinema, PLII Music, 5Ch Stereo, 7Ch Stereo, and 2Ch Stereo
      a nice convenience, but nothing else any other cheap receiver has

Added subwoofer level adjustment for the Multi-Input
      Level adjustment for your sub, something every processor should have

Added IR codes for FM Mono and Memory
      never even heard of this myself, but Rotel gave us control they hadn't originally

Added an IR code for Zone 2 control from the main zone.
      - Added discrete IR codes for TUNE and PRESET modes
      Same as previous, added control that was absent

Added Dolby Digital EX feature.
      Was supposed to be there, unit released prematurely

Front panel display for Multi Input changed.
      I'll give you this one. Rotel listened to us and changed the software to make the unit more user friendly. (but something that should have been caught much sooner)

Sub level can be set to OFF for different surround modes, including stereo.
      Audiophiles have been saying they don't want subs to begin with for music for years. My old Yamaha receiver that I bought over 4 years had a sub bypass

As to the HD boards, that was a huge mistake on Rotel's part, something else that should have been thought of while the unit was being engineered.

And I will not be buying Rotel equipment again, and the way I see the upgrades is that they were simply fixes that they either never contemplated, or decided it would be best to fix them while the unit was in market.

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Obviously there is a lot of emotion on this issue from those that feel, in a sense, they've been betrayed by Rotel. Heck, I'll admit that at times I haven't been all that thrilled about the company and their ways either.

That aside, Rotel does make a heck of a processor though whether it is the 1066, 1098, and now the 1068. They have been true to their word about upgradeability with software upgrades on both the 1066 and 1098; certain they will follow through with the same on the 1068. There are other manufacturers that say they will do software enhancements/fixes and NEVER follow through. Or if they do, they charge you substantially for them. Not only does Rotel follow through but they don't charge you either! Also understand that these processors are computers; certainly the computer world always talks of software upgrades but they do reach a point where the only option is to replace the entire unit and start over. I guess we all could probably agree that this arena is ridiculous too but it is reality. And lets face it, if Rotel or any pre-pro manufacturer were to bring out a processor and hold to a promise that you'll NEVER have to buy another one again because they will continue to upgrade it through free software enhancements, how long would they remain in business?!

I've got a friend that recently bought a Bryston 1.7 pre-pro. Paid MSRP ~ $4,700. Try doing a firmware upgrade on that puppy. NOT!!! After spending the last two weekends helping him hook his system up I am convinced that Rotel pre-pros, any of them, bury this unit in terms of features, upgrades, and value. And this is coming from an ardent Bryston fan. I love their amps but someone else can buy their pre-pros.

When I was considering which pre-pro I'd buy I narrowed my selection to either the Rotel RSP-1098 or Anthem AVM-20. I won't go into the reasons why I chose the 1098, though I am glad I did, but I recall the Anthem dealer raving about this flagship processor and how I'd be able to do both software and hardware upgrades and that I'd never need another pre-pro because Anthem was committed to constantly upgrading this unit; this was/IS their flagship. They've been true to their customers both in terms of software and hardware upgrades but while they were pontificating about the virtues of the AVM-20, they were (and still are in fact) in the process of coming out with a new "flagship" pre-pro (I think it is called the P5 ... could have the model # wrong though). Preliminary suggested MSRP in U.S. --- ~$6,000. So how do you think those owners feel?! And with this being their new flagship, how long before they put the AVM-20's enhancements to sunset?! I am not bashing Anthem because they have a heck of a unit but merely trying to make a point.

I know this ramble of mine will not sit well with everyone but I just wanted to share my 2 cents and hopefully make a point that the grass isn't always greener on the other side so to speak. Every company goes through cycles just as Rotel is doing and while it can be an emotional rollercoaster, it simply is a fact we all have to deal with.

Jim
        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Guys lets get this thread back on topic. If you want to start a new thread about the upgradeability of these processors in general by all means please do so but this thread is about the 1068 and 1098's PLIIx upgrade.

Comment

• jfinneru
            • Nov 2003

the upgrade is now availible at the rotel website!
            but only when choosing north america. not on the global site. but who cares as long as we get it!

brgds joern

moderator norwegian avforum
            brgds joern

Comment

• kneptune
              • Jan 2004

Hi Joern,

Where? I didn't see any new links under the technical updates section...

Thanks,
              Kevin

P.S. Never mind I found it.... my mistake, they used the same H20 heading as the previous older SW update link.

Comment

• wlowney
                • Jan 2004

The update on Rotel's website is only for the 1098

There is no mention of the 1068 yet

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Thanks for the update, this is exciting news.

I will try to update the RSP-1098 this evening on 7.1 speaker configuration, if the little ones let me, and provide an updated report, hopefully within the next few days.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

....if the little ones let me
                    Yeah I hear you on that one

Comment

• jfinneru
                      • Nov 2003

and then I was finished with the upgrade. worked like a charm. followed the instructions on the rotel website. very easy( but hyper terminal is slow as it was the last time)

brgds joern

brgds joern

Comment

• apotts
                        • Jan 2004

Yep,

Total upgrade time on mine was about an hour... But it's working well and on 2ch surround sources it sounds noticeably better through my 7.1 system. Much more like I'm wrapped in sound, if you know what I mean, more like I'm actually there.

Thank you, Rotel!!

Andrew

Comment

• jfinneru
                          • Nov 2003

I notised one thing that I have not seen before ( maybe because I have not been looking...) when playing a dvd with 5.1 it started automatically in dolby D + xs. when pressing the SUR+ button, I could choose between:
                          dolby digital + xs
                          dolby digital + ex
                          dolby digital
                          dolby digital downmix
                          dolby digtal + PLIIx C
                          dolby digital + PLIIx M
                          I can't remember that we had an option to choose dolby digital ex before?

on dts discs:

dts PLIIx c
                          dts PLIIx m
                          dts xs
                          dts
                          dts downmix

no choise of es, but who needs it?

lookes like a nice upgrade this 8)

brgds joern

brgds joern

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

That's always being available as far as I know. Good to hear the upgrade went well for you guys as well:T

Comment

• wlowney
                              • Jan 2004

Andrew

There is no mention of the 1068 on website.
                              Is the new 1098 upgrade on the Rotel website good for the 1068 as well or are we still waiting for it?

Comment

• Azeke
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2003

Ok here is my ProLoIIx upgrade story:

I came home early excited about the upgrade, but trying to remain cool 8) .
                                I then had dinner with the family (bonus points, right).
                                Informed my love I had work to do.
                                Began upgrade process, including EPROM, running two different Operating Systems laptops (no time for computer issues, btw XP PRO was used).

EPROM system upgrade completed.
                                Turned on system, complete distortion ops: .

OKay, software upgrade is now completed.

Turned on the Rotel and ...............voila nothing.

Checked a/v source it had changed, (hmmm).

Changed to the appropriate source and voila, beautiful music.

Total time is around an hour, as previously stated (if everthing goes right).

I would highly recommend that you follow the instructions to the letter to minimize any issues.

Initial accoustical impressions are positive, especially with 7.1.

I will try to provide further testing results, when I have more time .

Now for a nice glass of wine, hopefully the children are going to bed soon.

Nice work Rotel,

Azeke

P.S. Don't forget to check your 12v trigger assignments on each of your sources when the upgrade is completed.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Is the new 1098 upgrade on the Rotel website good for the 1068 as well or are we still waiting for it?
                                  Its likely only for the 1098. I'll ask about the 1068 though

Comment

• Tom Bombadil
                                    • Feb 2004

Hi all,

45 minutes later my 1098 has been upgraded from V1.1.0 to V2.1.1!!

I don't have the extra 2 channels of amplification yet but hope to add a 1080 at some point! Many thanks for the updates Rotel and thanks to those members who have kept me informed vie these forums.

Now if Rotel could only address the TFT permanent off issue and jazz up the user interface as highlighted by Geoff's superb wish list the processor would be perfect!!

One happy Rotel owner....

Source : Imagination
                                    Power : Courage
                                    Transducer : Action

Comment

• Azeke
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2003

Patience Grasshopper 8) .

Azeke

Comment

• Tom Bombadil
                                        • Feb 2004

Indeed master Po

Comment

• skipm
                                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by mad_darren

One happy Rotel owner....
                                          Maybe you should think about changing your screen name? :LOL:

-Skip

Comment

• wlowney
                                            • Jan 2004

FYI

1068 & 1067 now on Rotel website.

Comment

• wlowney
                                              • Jan 2004

sorry for double post

1068 & 1067 software upgrade is now on Rotel website

Comment

• hamiltong
                                                • Feb 2003

RSP 1068, RSX 1056 and RSX 1067 Software Updates Release Notes

V1.1.0 to V1.1.1
                                                - Corrected some terms for the Italian and German languages.

V1.1.1 to V1.1.2
                                                - Corrected some terms on the Speaker Display.

V1.1.2 to V1.1.3
                                                - Added Dolby Pro Logic IIx format.
                                                - Changed contour setting to make any contour adjustments made via the Tone button on the remote a temporary adjustment. Permanent contour adjustments can be made via the Contour menu on the OSD.

V1.1.3 to V1.1.4
                                                - Improved 12 volt trigger assignment to allow fully independent 12V operation with both main and second zones. Refer to the Technical Updates section for more details on this.
                                                - Level adjustment of PLIIx surround center back levels.

Comment

• JazzGuyy
                                                  • Nov 2003

The big question: So how much of the wish list has been addressed by the 1098 upgrades. It looks like some have but since I haven't yet installed it, I don't know what all is addressed. Has someone done a scorecard yet?

Comment

• servo01
                                                    • Jan 2004

Hello@All,

Just downloaded all Firmware and Eprom updates for my 1098.

Before I mess up my unit....;-)

My current software version is 1.1.6

In order to upgrade do I have to upgrade firmware 1.1.8 first, do then the eprom upgrade and then the firmware upgrade to 2.1.1 ??? oder can leave out the step upgrading to 1.1.8 and start with the eprom ???

Cheers

Servo

Comment

• Tom Bombadil
                                                      • Feb 2004

My 1098 had firmware version V1.1.0

Firstly I upgraded the EEPROM via the 3 step method as detailed on Rotel's page.

Then straight to V2.1.1.

Worked absolutely perfectly - this was using XP and the latest version of Hyperterminal for the direct connection.

Hope this helps

Comment

• servo01
                                                        • Jan 2004

Thanks

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2003

Hi,

The Rotel Web site seems to be missing a link to the old "RSP-1098 How to update the firmware using hyper-terminal" instructions they posted with the 1.1.6 update. These are still required for the 2.1.1 update.

I have kept the PDF - so If anyone wants it - drop me an Email and I'll send it to you.

Matching instructions (presumably similar) are missing from the RSP-1068/RSX-1067 update.

I have Emailed Rotel Tech Support and asked them to add this back ASAP to help RSP-1098 users who haven't done an upgrade before or new RSP-1068/RSX-1067 users.

I have also asked them to:
                                                          1) Update the RS-232 Control Codes with the new features on the RSP-1098
                                                          2) Include a new CCF file for the RSP-1098 with any new IR codes.

We'll see what happens....

Geoff

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Oct 2003

Jazzguyy,

The big question: So how much of the wish list has been addressed by the 1098 upgrades. It looks like some have but since I haven't yet installed it, I don't know what all is addressed. Has someone done a scorecard yet?
                                                            As the current Wish List curator for Club Rotel I am in the process of doing the review of 2.1.1 against the wish-list. Work has been done on at least 5 items – but I need to check some of them for completeness etc. These are:
                                                            • Dolby Pro Logic IIx – Done
                                                            • Dolby EX Processing for Non EX Flagged Sources – Seems to be done
                                                            • DTS ES Matrix Processing for Non ES Flagged Sources – May be done but need to check
                                                            • Improved Zone 2 12V Trigger Management – Looks mostly done
                                                            • Reuse of Zone 2 12V Trigger – Need to check more

I won’t have time to test these carefully until the weekend. Once this is done I will issue the first draft of wish list 4.0, which (surprise ) incorporates a number of new suggestions / requests made over the last couple of months and a reworking to cover the RSP-1068 and RSX-1067 )

PS - I am happy to take any input from RSP-1098 owners who have done the upgrade...

Geoff

Comment

• dbart
                                                              • Jan 2003

Any word if PLIIx will be incorporated into the 1098 and 1068 at the factory in future? I would like to skip the software upgrade if possible.

Comment

• lcajiga
                                                                • Aug 2003

Geoff, since I was the person that started complaining about the 12v trigger issue, I can assure you everything now works very good. Now you have the flexibility to setup the 12v triggers any way you want and they will work independently from the Main Room triggers. After updating to v2.1.1 I did all the tests and they worked successfully. I also received a PDF file from Rotel explaining better what they did with the 12v trigger. I will try to e-mail it to you. Also anyone that wants it, just e-mail me.

Regards,
                                                                Luis

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"
                                                                Regards,
                                                                Luis

http://www.luiscajiga.com/HT.htm

Comment

• lcajiga
                                                                  • Aug 2003

Sorry, double post...

Regards,
                                                                  Luis

Regards,
                                                                  Luis

http://www.luiscajiga.com/HT.htm

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2003

Dbart,

My understanding is that as of the last few days the Rotel Factory has changed its manufacturing standard to ship RSP-1098s and RSP-1068s with the new firmware as standard. But, they are made in batches (production runs) and then shipped to national distributors and then local stores, so depending on the country it will be between 4 and 8 weeks before the units with the new software are generally available in the stores.

We had the same thing with 1.1.6 which while released around 11 November only started to arrvice pre installed in late December and January.

Geoff

Comment

• jfinneru
                                                                      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                                                                      Hi,

The Rotel Web site seems to be missing a link to the old "RSP-1098 How to update the firmware using hyper-terminal" instructions they posted with the 1.1.6 update. These are still required for the 2.1.1 update.

I have kept the PDF - so If anyone wants it - drop me an Email and I'll send it to you.

Matching instructions (presumably similar) are missing from the RSP-1068/RSX-1067 update.

I have Emailed Rotel Tech Support and asked them to add this back ASAP to help RSP-1098 users who haven't done an upgrade before or new RSP-1068/RSX-1067 users.

I have also asked them to:
                                                                      1) Update the RS-232 Control Codes with the new features on the RSP-1098
                                                                      2) Include a new CCF file for the RSP-1098 with any new IR codes.

We'll see what happens....

Geoff
                                                                      if you guys choose global instead of north america, you will find the old upgrade to 1.1.6. there is the instruction how to use the hyper terminal.

brgds joern

brgds joern

Comment

• wlowney
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2004

1068 Users........

Anybody update their 1068 yet?

Also is there any EEPROM update necessary for the 1068?

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"