X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philo
    • Feb 2006

Help with 1068, 1075 combo.

I finally got my 1075, 1068 on the weekend and have a few questions about the set-up.
    Initially when I hooked it up there was no audio, but realized lata that I didn't have the volume up enough to hear it. I was at about 35db and it was bairly audible, it started getting a fair bit louder in the 60s is this right. Seems like I should here something more at the lower levels.
    I am using 2 monitor audio GS10s, hooked up via standard RCA leads. Even in Analogue it should be a bit more audible shouldn't it?
    I am only using 2 speakers in stereo mode, should I be using an optical cord, or what else could I use for 2 channel. I will have a sub soon, so hope fully that will add something.
    Is Coaxial or Optical better for movie watching?
    Can I also safely rest the 1068 directly on top of the 1075, without interference?

Anyone figured out the remote 1050 out there?
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Philo, my 1068 is similar in the volume levels needed to get decent sound.

At night about 55 on the volume , during the day 60 to 70.

I have actually asked similar questions myself and others have found the same thing.

The volume level needed will vary depending on the efficiency of your speakers and the power rating of your amp, and the size of your room.

It also depends on the particular disc you are playing as some are recorded louder than others.

I would be more concerned with stacking the 1068 on top of the 1075.

They both generate heat and need ventilation space. I would not do it unless it is for a very short time and you play at low volume levels so they dont heat up to much. A fan will help, but better not to do it at all.
    Pete

Comment

• Philo
      • Feb 2006

Okay at least that has cleared that up then.

What do you guys use out there for movie watching, Optical or Coaxial, or is it pretty much the saME?

Comment

• Kobus
        • Aug 2005

Coaxial seems to be preferred by most.

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

Experimenting is 1/2 the fun of new pieces. The argument can be made that the coaxial is "better" because of less conversion in the signal path (electronic to light and back to electronic again).
          For 2 channel listening rca patch cords with the 1068 set to analogue is a pure way to run. This uses the d/a conversion in the source player.
          Once you get everything set up, your'e speaker size set, and calibrated, you may find the volume has improved.
          You may also find that the 1068 generates more heat than the 1075. Some (myself included) prefer not to stack pieces at all.
          Good luck, and enjoy.

Comment

• Elvis
            • Jan 2005

As mentioned,stacking is a no no.Just for reference(because of many variables,setting/speakers etc)my 1068/1075 with vol @ 60 is 90db's @ 70 its 100 db's,thats pretty loud(2ch music and only a decent(1976) recording).

Comment

• nikos
              • Dec 2005

ok stupid question but I dont have my receiver yet...its on backorder....

Does the volume go up to 100? or what's the highest reading?

Nikos
              Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

I think MAX is the highest setting... It's one step above 99 if that helps though.

Philo, you have gone into the setup menu and told the 1068 you only have two speakers right? Otherwise it will be routing some of the sound to other speakers you don't have.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                  • Nov 2004

Max volume level on my 1068 is 94 one notch more and it says max.

Never had it about 86, too frightening, 86 was pushing the limits with my setup, I dont recommend going that high.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                    • Apr 2006

Volumes are funny.

A lady asked me when I installed a Krell KAV-400xi integrated with her Martin Logan Ascent i, "How far does the volume go?" (referring to the readout). I wasnt sure but I though it would be 99, so I told her to start turning it up until it stopped. Music WAS playing. It went all the way to 151. Sounded good at it too. Loud as hell, but good.

Then, I think its coincidence that "88" on a VTL TL7.5 preamp feeding a Krell FPB700cx to Wilson MAXX II while playing "Blackened" by Metallica is the magic number to take you back in time...err...I mean blow all 4 midrange drivers' protection resistors. McFLY!!!

Comment

• Philo
                      • Feb 2006

I have it set in 2 channel stereo mode. Can I use any DTS in 2 channel or Pro Logic what is the best set-up? When I get my subwoofer a SVSPB10, how should I run the system. What settings should I use to get the best sound through my optical input?
                      Also how do I work the crossover? How does it work, is it when the low frequenc'ys are picked up by the subwoofer, what should this be set too, 100, 80, 60 or lower? I know the SVSPB10 goes low, below 40, but how will this effect my sound?

It is all of a sudden starting to make sense to me, this audio stuff and glad I waited until I got a great deal on the 1075, 1068 combo. i paid $3000AUD from Vince Ross in Perth WA, great offer for great gear. I can see why you guys have this forum, the soundstage on this with 2 speakers is amazing!

Philo :T

Comment

• foeth
                        • Apr 2006

What settings should I use to get the best sound through my optical input?

I think that plugging it in should do the trick, there shouldn't really be a difference. Note that you can set both a high-pass crossover for the speaker and a low-pass crossover for the sub independently. If you set your speakers to large, both sub and speaker should get the low signal. For home-theatre, the normal cross over for the sub is 80Hz. My sub has a separate crossover setting, so I have the 1068 on 200Hz and can play around with the sub setting. I output as low as 40 Hz to my speakers. This is a typical "play around" feature, so take your time and play around. If all goes well, you shouldn't really notice the sub kicking in around the higher frequencies. Note that for the separate cross-over frequencies you probably need to have the DVD sub-out connected to the 1068 sub-in and connect the sub to the 1068 sub pre-out (does that make sense :P ?)

Note that if you are watching movies, you may need to tell your DVD player as well that you only have two channels. I don't tell my DVD player anything (no delay, offsets, speaker size, and so on) and let the 1068 handle everything. You can try DTS or Dolby, but I doubt this really makes sense?! You may want to place a center channel. For movie playback, the center handles most of the sound. I'd favor a center over rear or subs when you have to choose (money and so on), but that's personal.

As far as volumes are concerned, I normally have to reduce the volume by about 10 when switching from classical to pop (60-65 to 50-55).

Comment

• Philo
                          • Feb 2006

I understand tht the sub plugs directly into the pre-out on the 1068, is that correct, because it is an active sub, does not need any power?
                          Apparently the SVS needs a crossover which the 1068 has, so I will set my speakers to large, my 2 Monitor Audio GS10s and have a crossover of 150 or so and set my sub crossover to about 40hz, is that about it?
                          Obviously the sub itself has controls, is it just a case of trial andf error.
                          Also do you need to break in a sub?

Philo 8)

Comment

• foeth
                            • Apr 2006

I understand tht the sub plugs directly into the pre-out on the 1068, is that correct, because it is an active sub, does not need any power?
                            If you mean that because the sub is active, you do not need to send an amplified signal: yes. An active sub has its own amplifier. Set your speakers to a low crossover (e.g. 40-80) and your sub to high (e.g. 150-200). The sub crossover deletes all sound above a certain frequency, the speaker crossover filters out all lower frequencies.

If you set your sub to a low and your speakers to a high cross-over, you will have no sound between that low and high frequency range.

I am very skeptical toward break-in of any component. A sub has a few moving parts, perhaps... If you think it helps, knock yourself out....

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

For movies, set your mains to "small" with a crossover between 40-100hz depending on your speaker. (Experiment here to see what sounds best. Most "normal", ie: not micro-speakers, will likely work best within a 60-80hz crossover range.)
                              Jason

Comment

• Club1820
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by soundhound
                                For 2 channel listening rca patch cords with the 1068 set to analogue is a pure way to run. This uses the d/a conversion in the source player.
                                Can you have both analog and digital connections from the dvd player (rotel 1060) to the 1068? Then when listening to 2 channel the analog is used and the digital connection for everything else?

thanks.
                                Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Club1820
                                  Can you have both analog and digital connections from the dvd player (rotel 1060) to the 1068? Then when listening to 2 channel the analog is used and the digital connection for everything else?

thanks.
                                  Yup, that's exactly what I do in fact
                                  Jason

Comment

• Club1820
                                    • Jan 2006

Thanks for the response Aud19. Is there a special setting on the 1068 that needs to be done to be able to utilize both types of connections? Or just hook up both types of cables and the 1068 knows to utilize the analog for 2 channel?

Thanks.
                                    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Marcel B
                                      • Nov 2004

yes, the 1068 will prefer the digital connection.
                                      You should connect the analog cables to CD-input and the digital cable to e.g. Video1 (and set the Cd input to analog and v1 to the digital input you have chosen)
                                      Then you can select CD when listening to 2 channel and V1 for surround without changing any other setting

Marcel B

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

What he said :T
                                        Jason

Comment

• Club1820
                                          • Jan 2006

Cool. Thanks to both of you!

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

You can also just connect your players 5.1 analog cables to your 1068's "Multi" input (5.1 analog ins) and use that for your CD and DVD-A listening
                                            Jason

Comment

• Club1820
                                              • Jan 2006

Ok. I might be hijacking this thread?....Can you only listen to DVD-A with the analog connection? 5.1? or can you listen with the digital connection?

Aud19 - which forum is best to post general questions regarding DVD-A? Audiohangout?

Thanks

Comment

• foeth
                                                • Apr 2006

As far as I know, the optical jack only supports 2.0, 5.1 is possible with HDMI. Of course, that won't stop certain people from developing oxygen free super duper HDMI interlinks for superior sound...

Comment

• aud19
                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Club1820
                                                  Ok. I might be hijacking this thread?....Can you only listen to DVD-A with the analog connection? 5.1? or can you listen with the digital connection?

Aud19 - which forum is best to post general questions regarding DVD-A? Audiohangout?

Thanks
                                                  Yes, Audio Hideout would probably be the best place. Start a new thread and I'll answer ya there :T
                                                  Jason

Comment

• badboyspack
                                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Philo
                                                    Okay at least that has cleared that up then.

What do you guys use out there for movie watching, Optical or Coaxial, or is it pretty much the saME?
                                                    They are pretty much the same.

I will use the optical if its there, but the cable box is using coaxial and works just fine.
                                                    Tom
                                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                                    Klipsch RF-7's mains
                                                    Klipsch RC-7 center
                                                    Klipsch RB-75's surrounds
                                                    :heh:

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"