X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xshen
    • Apr 2004

1056/1067/1068+1075

Hi all:

I will purchase a pair of B&W CM4 speakers and a CM series central channel. I live in an apartment right now so don't have the space to setup 5.1 but I will move into a house in next two year. I am also going to a Rotel receiver or pre/pro/amp combo. My candidate choices are:

Rotel 1056
    Rotel 1067
    Rotel 1068 + 1075

I know these three have big price difference. Although I can afford them but I still want to get the value back for the money I spend.

In fact, I focus more on the comparison of 1056 and 1068+1075. I heard the combo will produce better sound and the 1056 one only has 75W. Other than the sound quality, is there any functionality or parts difference between 1056 and 1068? Why would a processor is $400 more than a receiver (processor + amplifer)? My local dealer doesn't have 1068+1075 setup so I cannot do a comparison between these two.

Would 1068+1075 be an overkill for CM speakers?

Comapring between 1067 and 1056. The differences I see is that 1067 has two more channels and has 25W extra each channel. Do these two justify the $900 difference? Or there are something else that I missed?

Any advice or information is highly appreciated. I am new to the hi-fi and Rotel world.

Xinyang
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

I used to have the CM 4 and CM C, driven by the 1066 and 1075. I do not think it's overkill, but rather a very good match with any of the Rotel choices. I think anyone will benefit from separates, since they give you more options when upgrading, regardless of performance. But, while 125W isn't necessarily much louder than 75W, I think anyone will benefit from separate amplification due to sound quality.

However, regarding the differences between the Rotel choices, some think there's slight difference in sound quality while others think the gap is bigger. It boils down to listening to all the choices and use personal judgment.

Does your dealer have the 1068 and 1075 on hand? If it is a Rotel dealer, it shouldn't have any problem obtaining them and setting up a demo for you. The dealer owes you that much if it wishes to earn your money.

Comment

• xshen
      • Apr 2004

I have two interesting emails from Rotel:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the answer to your question is no. The only differences between
      these two units are the 2 extra amplified channels on the 1067 and the power
      rating difference per channel. The two units have the same chipsets and
      support the same formats, etc.

Best Regards,
      Shane Kea
      Technical Support
      B&W/Rotel
      ----- Original Message -----
      To: <techsupport@rotel.com>
      Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 8:56 AM
      Subject: Difference between 1067 and 1056

"The only difference between these two units is that the 1056 has a built in amplifier and tuner and the 1068 does not have either of these. As far as redirecting the amp channels on the 1056, you can only redirect the front left and right channels. You can redirect them to either the center back or to zone 2.

Best Regards,
      Shane Kea
      Technical Support
      B&W/Rotel"

Does this mean a combo 1056 + 1075 would be more economic if there is no difference in sound and internal structure? Or I just buy 1056 for now and with the option of adding a two channel amplifier later.

I will most likely go for Revel M22 or B&W 805 speakers now after some audition.

Comment

• xshen
        • Apr 2004

Some clarification from Rotel regarding 1056 and 1068:

"That e-mail response was talking in regards to the formats that the units
        can handle and what DSP chip, DACs and ADCs they use. The two units use the
        same chipsets and handle the same formats, and offer many of the same
        features. However, the 1068 has a better power transformer and better
        components for the power supply section in general. Since the 1056 has more
        internal components, such as the tuner and the amp, which take up a lot more
        room, they have to use a different type of transformer and many other
        components need to be smaller. The design of the units are different and the
        cost of the better components in the 1068 is what warrants the increase in
        cost of the unit. I have not seen the link of my response in the forum, but
        I am guessing that it was just a part of the response and not the full
        explanation.

Best Regards,
        Shane Kea
        Technical Support
        B&W/Rotel
        "

Xinyang

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"