X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • murali
    • Feb 2006

RSP-1068 and RMB-1075 power on

Hello Rotel owners,
    New to the forum. Just bought a RSP-1068 and RMB-1075 combo with great expectations for HT (driving center, surround and rear speakers). A couple of doubts, please:
    (1) When I power on the RMB-1075, its LED on front plate is red and stays that way throughout though the dealer mentions red is standby mode and it should turn blue. The light never changes even when driving the speakers. Is it this way???
    (2) The RMB-1075 works only with the 12V trigger switch off. When I connect it to the RSP-1068 12V output (1) and keep the switch on, there is no power output from the RMB-1075 in any channel. The moment I turn off the trigger switch, it works fine. Any clues?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Only the silver ones have blue LED's. If yours is red, you have a black one and it will always be red.

On the triggers, you need to go through the input setup and turn on trigger 1 for all inputs. If they are on, check the cable and see if trigger 2 works.

Welcome to 'the club' !

Kevin D.

Comment

• murali
      • Feb 2006

Thanks Kevin. The amp is black and so I have to live with the red LED.
      Regarding the RSP-1068 volume control, I find it has to be set at around 70-75 or sometimes more to get a decent sound watching DVDs whereas previously I had a RSX-1055 receiver which rarely crossed 70 in volume. (My room is 19 X 10 ft). Anything to share from your experience?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Since Rotel doesn't use a negative dB scale and the volume isn't linear, the correct answer is the number is arbitrary. It really has nothing to do with the efficiency of the amp or the outputs.

If it makes you feel better about it, you could turn up all the levels by 5db to get the 'number' down..

Kevin D.

Comment

• bleeding ears
          • Nov 2004

Murali, I too find I need to turn the volume up relatively high on my 1068 to get a good volume and sound.

70 is about the right volume during the day when nobody else is home depending on the disc being played, otherwise I keep it lower, particularly at night.

I thought that my Sony multichannel amp may have been the cause, but apparently not since you have described the same things that I find with my setup.(Tests on the Sony amp by reviewers revealed 5 x approx 115 watts which is similar output to the 1075 amp except with 4 ohm speakers)

So this seems to be a trait of the 1068 processor and not the amps, however having said that, Stereophile found that the volume had to be turned up relatively high to get a good sound happening with the RB1080 amp. I cannot remember what pre they used.

Mind you when it gets going the 1080 is reportedly an excellent amp.

The volume figure shown on the processor is not a problem, it just gives one (me and others) the impression that there is not much juice left in the amp to go louder which is most likely not the case.

Once only, I turned it up to 86 on the processor for a short time and it was deafening but sounded good. The volume only goes up to a max of 96 on the readout.
          I dont recommend you try this!

The only real problem I find is that I would like to get a fuller sound at lower volumes, so I dont have to turn it up at night when others are sleeping etc.

Anyone find a similar situation using other processors and amp combinations?

Perhaps a headphone socket on the 1068 would have been handy for night time listening.

PS what speakers are you using? speaker efficiency plays a part.

Pete
          Last edited by bleeding ears; 27 February 2006, 00:02 Monday.

Comment

• AngelEyes
            • Feb 2006

Hi,

I'm new to this, I just got my 1068/1075 a week or so ago.

Is there no way to display the volume in -db on the processor?

How can I join in on all the
            'I listened to blah blah at +2db last night!'
            discussions? ;x(

To be honest i am not sure of what the advantages of this are but am just curious about it. Anyone care to explain?

Thanks, :T

Adam

Comment

• Elvis
              • Jan 2005

Volume # is relative to setup db adjustment,its just a number.If you want to discuss loudness in any real way you need a db meter(radio shack).

Comment

• bleeding ears
                • Nov 2004

angel, the figure shown on the processor for volume is not how many db the speakers are putting out. Im not sure if it is even close.

However I think that if you altered the volume level by say 5, that may equate to a change of 5 decibels.

Not 100% sure of this, someone with a more technical knowledge may help here!

PS Angel, how do you find the 1075 and 1068 combination?

What volume on the processor do you find you listen at during daytime?

Also what speakers are you using, the efficiency and ohms contribute to the volume levels also.

Pete

Comment

• Marlboroman
                  • Aug 2005

If you set the db levels of the channels (test tones) all to 0 and then measure the voltage of the signal that is going into the input on your 1068 (I did this with analog output of a CD player) you will find that you need to be around volume number of 81 before it is the same. I did not adjust the test tone levels or anything but that is what I found. I just don't fixate on the actual number too much.

Comment

• Pierre Fouche
                    • Feb 2006

I listen to 65-70 on my RSP 1066 RMB 1066 with Mission M35 front and matching surrounds.I depends on the DVD as well, some seems to be "louder" than others.The RMB 1066 doesn`t run out off breath though.Good volume from this babe, but will upgrade some time. The 1077 got my attention here on HT Guide.
                    "Do not critisice the Farmers with your mouth full of food"
                    :eating:

Comment

• Paul51
                      • Nov 2005

12 Volt Triggers

In reguards to 12 V trigger, what is it and how does it work. Does it work like the remote I got with my 1056. I don't want to sound like I don't know but,I don't know. Thanks for any clarification on this subject knowing that this site is full of knowlegable members.
                      Paul51

Comment

• jorgjean
                        • Nov 2005

And the most important:

How does it sound?

Comment

• bleeding ears
                          • Nov 2004

Paul51, this is a little off the orig topic and you should probably put in a new thread,however I will quickly explain what I know.

the 12 Volt trigger is a connection at the back of recent Rotel receivers and processors which when connected via a cable will automatically switch on the amp whenever the receiver or processor is switched on.

It doesnt matter if the receiver or processor is switched on by remote or manually it still works.

There is also the possibility of using the 12 volt trigger to operate things such as projector screens etc if they have the capability.

Pete.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"