X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rael
    • Oct 2005

Rotel/Sub Question

Hey gang,

I have the 1068/1075 combo as well as a pair of Linn Ninka speakers. The sound is very nice, except for one thing: I'd like more bass. The frequency response for the Ninkas in passive mode is only 50Hz-20Khz, so I assume this isn't quite a full range floor standing speaker.

So my question is this: I listen to CDs using the Bypass mode. But I'm not getting enough bass. I realize that if I play CDs in Stereo mode, the digital processor/bass management kicks in. What will be the pros and cons of adding a sub? Is there no way to add a sub and still listen in Bypass mode?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

If you get a sub with speaker level inputs and/or outputs you can run it off the speaker outputs of the 1075.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Rael
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
      If you get a sub with speaker level inputs and/or outputs you can run it off the speaker outputs of the 1075.

Kevin D.
      So are you saying if I get a sub with speaker level inputs/outputs, I can connect the sub to my 1075 and be able to utilize bypass mode? Sorry for the ignorance, but I'm new to the whole sub thing.

Comment

• spinners
        • Feb 2006

Rael, get one of those REL subs. They can be hooked up 2 ways, high level (stereo)
        and low level (.1) How it works: www.rel.net
        I drive 2 Rel's this way and it is great. Those REL subs are smooth and they play sooo low. Not like those cheap houseshaking chest freezers.
        RSX1056, RB1070, RDV1050, RCD 1072, Dali IKON 2, 2x REL Quake II

Comment

• Navin R. Johnso
          • Apr 2006

I had the same question for my 1056 (assuming things work similarly)- I got the clever advice to run the CD into the L and R "Multi" inputs. The multi runs through in analog bypass, but a copy signal is also sent to the .1 channel. So you're not moving into the digital processing mode but can still run a sub.

I did the first step and it sounds great- now just looking for the right sub. What are you considering for a sub? I've got B&W 700/750, Velodyne DD-10 and Vandersteen 2Wq on my list now.

Comment

• FernandoF
            • Nov 2005

Hi Navin,

I'm glad to hear that it worked ! :T

Regards,

Fernando

Comment

• Alloroc
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Navin R. Johnso
              I had the same question for my 1056 (assuming things work similarly)- I got the clever advice to run the CD into the L and R "Multi" inputs. The multi runs through in analog bypass, but a copy signal is also sent to the .1 channel. So you're not moving into the digital processing mode but can still run a sub.
              I also do that with my 1055 and my Marantz DV8400. In fact I have all analogue channels hooked up and it sounds great but it is expensive, given the quantity of interconnects used! I suppose it all depends on the quality of the DAC in your player. The Marantz DAC is definitly better that the Rotel's, but that's only to be expected. It's not just great for CD, it's great for all multi channel formats - if you're into them.
              Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• grit
                • Jan 2005

If only they'd do that w/o having to use the multi-channel inputs. Hey Rotel, something to consider for the 1068/1098 replacements?

Comment

• Rael
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Navin R. Johnso

I did the first step and it sounds great- now just looking for the right sub. What are you considering for a sub? I've got B&W 700/750, Velodyne DD-10 and Vandersteen 2Wq on my list now.
                  Thanks for the advice!! I never thought of the multi inputs. The only problem is that I also run a phono preamp to the 1068 and I run that in Bypass mode as well. I guess I'd have to keep going behind my equipoment rack to change the analog outputs, depending on whether I wanted to listen to a CD or an LP.

I'm not sure which sub I'd be interested in. I know that Velodyne and Rel are talked about a lot. I wouldn't want to spend much more than $500 on a sub, if I could get away with that.

Comment

• Navin R. Johnso
                    • Apr 2006

Since you want to add a sub for 2-channel you obviously want one that blends in well with your mains for music, and that's going to be pretty tough for under $500 from the shopping I've done so far. Going the pre-owned route may help- B&W 675, REL Q series, Velodyne SPL (although they're pretty new and hard to find used). Even those may push $700 or so.

Comment

• lewitopdog
                      • Apr 2006

[QUOTE=Navin R. Johnso]I had the same question for my 1056 (assuming things work similarly)- I got the clever advice to run the CD into the L and R "Multi" inputs. The multi runs through in analog bypass, but a copy signal is also sent to the .1 channel. So you're not moving into the digital processing mode but can still run a sub.

Hi all,

First time poster, Loooooooong time lurker.

Can someone tell me if the above connection using the L and R "multi inputs" from my 1066 with the bass managment fix to my 1072 cd player?

I to,want to use the analog bypass, but want to send bass to my .1 (subwoofer) and use just my front speakers.

By the way, I run all my speakers on small.

Thanks,

Chuck

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

If you have the bass management fix applied, the multi-inputs will no longer send any bass to the .1 output from the other 5 inputs.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"