Help design the new Behringer Sub Equalizer BSE2496C to replace the BFD...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

Help design the new Behringer Sub Equalizer BSE2496C to replace the BFD...

I have spoken with Behringer and they have shown serious interest in designing a replacement for the BFD that is more suited to the consumer market. As many of you may already know... the DSP1124 has been discontinued. The replacement FBQ2496 only offers 1 preset and still doesn't get us many of the needed features for a total sub eq package.

This is not something to necessarily compete with the Velo SMS-1. We are trying to keep the street price around $150-200, which includes a built-in mic amp with phantom power and a built-in SPL meter... the recommended Behringer ECM8000 mic would be extra if you need one (~$50 at Parts Express). We would continue to recommend using RoomEQ Wizard as the software program of choice due to its increasing and overwhelming popularity.

This is something we are pretty optimistic about. Keep in mind that the consumer HT world is what put the BFD on the map. Therefore Behringer has interest.

At this point in time we have no set time frame as to when we could expect this unit to hit the shelves. After the suggested features are submitted we hope to get a general idea of a time frame. Behringer has many of these features already incorporated in their various products, so we are hoping it would not be a long drawn out process.

Here are the features we are considering at present. We are looking for suggestions, comments, recommendations, etc. Remember to keep in mind the target street price. KISS!

Proposal for the BSE2496C (Behringer Sub Equalizer 24/96 Consumer)

The consumer home theater world has for several years used the BFD DSP1124P as a parametric sub eq to level out the response of their sub(s). The unit has been extremely popular and continues to be the popular choice for sub equalization, where it can be found, being that it has been recently discontinued.

We are basing the BSE2496C (Behringer Sub EQ 24/96 Consumer) on similarities to several of your products such as the former DSP1124, the current FBQ2496, DEQ2496 and DCX2496, none of which fit our needs precisely. Following is a list of features in four categories, the first being features in the DSP1124 and/or the FBQ2496 that we would like to keep as they are. Second are the essential features we would like, as well as several requested changes from the current BFD units. These are what we consider the must haves, if at all possible. Third are features/changes that we would like, but could live without if we just had too, although we believe they should have a minimal cost factor and might be easier included than we think. Fourth are features available in other Behringer models or new features that we would like to be considered, but could be reserved for a second higher-end model if they will cause the target unit to exceed our target price.

We are not requesting a software program due to the free availability of the RoomEQ Wizard program. The target price we would like to see is $200-250 retail which will allow for a street price of approximately $150-200. It is imperative that we keep the cost to a minimum, as this is and always has been the driving force behind BFD sales in the home theater world. The majority of BFD 1124 owners were able to acquire their unit for $100-125.

Features on the DSP1124 and/or FBQ2496 we would like to keep:
    ~ Two independent channels.
    ~ A minimum of twelve parametric filters per channel (20 per channel is good too).
    ~ Channel coupling and series looping.
    ~ Three-way IN/OUT bypass.
    ~ Input/output LED level indicators.
    ~ LED filter indicators for both channels.
    ~ Front panel display.
    ~ Retain normal required buttons and jog dial.
    ~ 24-bit/96 kHz A/D and D/A converter powered by a 32-bit DSP.
    ~ Internal switch-mode power supply (100 - 240 V~ / 50-60hz).
    ~ Low power consumption.
    ~ Adjustable input level (-10dBV / +4dBu) on rear.
    ~ Hard bypass relay.
    ~ Noise-free.
    ~ 107db dynamic range.
    ~ 0.007% THD.
    ~ High-quality components.
    ~ High-quality construction.
    ~ Balanced XLR inputs/outputs.
    ~ One year warranty.

Essential features and changes that we would like and should have a very minimal cost factor:
    ~ Soft power ON/OFF with selectable Auto-On detect via sub signal.
    ~ Eliminate turn-on thump and ground hum.
    ~ Double insulated chassis with a two prong plug or a ground lift switch if needed to eliminate hum.
    ~ Pure flat frequency response from 10hz to 20khz* (FBQ2496 is -3db @ 20hz).
    ~ Filter adjustment capabilities from 10hz to 20khz*.
    ~ Adjustable gain range from -24db to +16db for each filter.
    ~ Minimum of 4 to 6 memory presets.
    ~ Replace ¼ inch inputs/outputs with RCA inputs/outputs.
    ~ Simple shelf filter… (i.e. selectable linear boost between two selectable frequencies).
    ~ Selectable and/or variable 6db-48db/octave subsonic roll-off filter from 35hz to 10hz (minimum 5hz increments).
    ~ Time delay from 0 to 30msec or 1 foot increments w/ 0.1 foot fine up to 30 feet.
    ~ Variable phase correction/adjustment from 0-180.
    ~ Front panel USB and/or RS-232 interface for MIDI port (place under small flip cover like on computers).
    ~ Dimmable front panel LED’s / lights with OFF option.
    ~ Soft blue and/or green LED’s on front panel vs. red.
    ~ Offer unit in black or silver… if not optional, offer only in black.
    ~ Revamp chassis for home theater consumer appearance vs. pro-audio style.
    ~ Allow mounting brackets to be optional (include unattached).
    ~ Enclose/fill gaps on sides if mounting brackets are removed.
    ~ Add rubber feet to allow placement on top of other equipment.
    ~ Remove graphic design from top of unit.

* If it will save cost, limiting the upper frequency response and filter capabilities to 400hz is acceptable.

With the above features and changes this unit should sell like a hot potato at a steak house. We believe these are reasonable features for a street priced unit at $150-200.

Requested features/changes that won’t make or break the unit, but would be nice to have if minimal cost factor:
    ~ Anti-clipping mechanism with higher dynamic peak input before clipping.
    ~ Frequency readout in hertz instead of base + fine… (1hz increments w/ 0.1hz fine increments).
    ~ Bandwidth readout in octaves (1/3,1/6,1/24,1/1, etc.) or hertz (2hz,5hz,12hz,etc.) instead of 1/60, 10/60, 60/60, etc.
    ~ Front panel volume/gain to control output level to sub.
    ~ Ability to slave multiple units together.
    ~ Linkwitz transform circuit.
    ~ Detachable power cord.

Next are the more elaborate features that you already have in some of your units, plus a few other added requested features, but we are uncertain as to the cost of these features and whether it would cause the new unit to exceed our target street price of $150-200. It may be that we could stand a street price of $250 (retail $299) with these extra features. We assume it would depend on your cost to integrate them into the new unit. Or if feasible, offer the above in one unit and add these features to another unit at a higher cost.

Elaborate requested features with unknown cost factor for implementation (in order of relevance):
    ~ Individual crossover filters (Butterworth, Bessel, Linkwitz-Riley) per channel w/ selectable roll-off 6db-48db/octave.
    ~ Adjustable/variable crossover range (low pass and high pass from 20hz to 200hz and w/ bypass).
    ~ Built-in RTA mic/line input w/ phantom power and w/ GAIN control.
    ~ Built-in SPL meter with selectable dBA/dBC/OFF weighting.
    ~ Built-in test tones (sinewaves – individual 1hz increments and sweep from 5hz to 400hz or 5hz to 20khz).
    ~ Separate RCA mic monitoring and test tone output to allow for computer program monitoring.
    ~ Locate RTA mic/line inputs and RCA monitoring outputs on the front face plate under a small flip cover.
    ~ Video output for monitoring the display would be nice, but the cost factor may prohibit this.
    ~ Video display instead of LED’s… (dimmable and selectable OFF).
    ~ Small and simple 6 button wireless IR remote with discrete ON/OFF buttons and Preset 1,2,3,4 buttons.
    ~ Rear IR jack for remote control… to use with repeaters.
    ~ Add volume/gain control button to remote if feature is made available.
    ~ Add other control buttons to remote if cost feasible.
    ~ Fully integrated software program (something similar to RoomEQ Wizard).
    ~ Auto-EQ (with ability to manually adjust suggested filters).

NOTE: I do not work for Behringer or anyone else. When I say "we" this and "we" that... I am referring to what the majority has voiced thus far. Just like I have never been paid for the BFD GUIDE or the BFD FORUM... I am not getting paid to do this. It is because of the GUIDE and FORUM that I have a strong voice with Behringer, but it is because of YOU and the HT world that we can have the opportunity to have a new product designed. It won't get to market because of me... it will succeed because of you. It will benefit me no more than anyone else that has interest... but it is fun and it will be a huge benefit to all of us looking for such a product.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sonnie Parker; 15 February 2006, 14:34 Wednesday.
  • jaron
    • Feb 2006

I would be very interested in a consumer version of the DCX2496. It needs:

1) A master volume control for all channels simultaneously that won't throw away bits.

2) Ability to connect two units for more channels and still have one master volume control.

3) Balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) inputs and outputs for each channel.

4) Switchable -10dBV and 4dBu operating levels.

Also very important for this unit and the BSE2496C: Remote control (your #24) but with all functions controllable via IR although not necessarily with the included remote.

Built in dipole equalization (with enough dB range to be useful) and Linkwitz Transform functions.

Agree with your list for the BSE2496C. I see the relevant items for the DCX2496C to be your numbers 1,2 (optional mounting brackets),3,9,10,11,13,14,20,22,23.

Comment

• jaron
      • Feb 2006

You might want to mention your thread on HT Guide's Mission Possible DIY Forum.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Sonnie! Long time, no see, buddy! :banana:

Wow, this would be a great idea. Cool that you're posting this now, as I'm literally setting up my BFD today. I was out the door to Radio Shack to buy some connectors for my new sound card to use the Room EQ Wizard for the BFD, and thought I'd do one more sweep of the Guide before I go. Here's my list, slightly modified from some of yours. Like you said, most of this would be to make it a home consumer product. As I'm early in my usage of the BFD, this list may be rudimentary, and I may add things later as I learn more the of the BFD details.

1. Eliminate 1/4" TRS jacks and make all either RCA or balanced XLR

2. Eliminate the +4/-10 db switches, make it standardized for home use

3. Make the rackmounting OPTIONAL. (I rackmount mine, so I don't want to lose this feature, but I can see that other may not like it)

4. Change the front finish from the gunmetal aluminum to something more refined to look like a home theater product. (of course, I would love to see a finish like Parasound Halo, www.parasound.com)

5. Create a new "BFD programming equipment package" for owners to calibrate the BFD. Perhaps this could be an optional accessory purchase. It could include:
        5a. A custom computer program for programming and controlling the new BFD. I'd prefer to see this implemented via RS-232 instead of MIDI. Since John has already done such a great job of designing the Room EQ Wizard that can be used with the BFD, perhaps this program could be used as a starting point for a new proprietary program? Maybe John could be used to design the new program!
        5b. A microphone/SPL meter and all required cabling to perform calibration. (so we all don't have to run around to various stores, looking to buy a new soundcard with THIS plug, and new cables for THAT jack, and new adapter parts inbetween, and new microphone amp, etc)
        5c. Include the ability for a house curve in the programming package.

6. I've always thought the basic concept of using the BFD for sub tuning was great, but I'm not understanding why it's limited to only sub equalizing. Why not make the unit able to equalize ALL channels of a home theater, full-range, 20Hz (or slightly below) to 20kHz? (or slightly above) Or perhaps make a 2nd model that would be designed to equalize the other channels of a theater in the same way that we do with the BFD?

7. Multiple storage presets that could be called up for use for movie, music, etc. Perhaps this could even be controlled via IR remote control and/or RS-232!

8. Keep the ability to equalize 2 subs. I currently use both.

9. Like the front finish I mentioned, make the LED lights on it look a little less in the style of pro audio equipment, and more muted in the style of home theater equipment

10. Also, make the front display dimmable.

11. Heck if we're dreaming, don't even use only LED's for the front display! Why not make a nice VFD display like a home theater receiver that is easy to read?

12. Change the power-on to have additonal features like RS-232 controlled, IR remote controllable, power trigger from a home theater pre/pro, etc.

13. Keep the unit standard-sized for rack mounting with home theater components.

I would be willing to pay $150-200 for a unit specifically designed like this for specific home-theater applications with extra features like this that we could use.

As far a name... the CDE sounds nice, for "Chris D Equalizer." Just kidding.
        Last edited by Chris D; 05 February 2007, 04:16 Monday.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Sonnie,

This seems very nice, especially auto-calibration, I am fairly new to the Sub equalization arena, so forgive my questions if they seem sophomoric.

What would the approximate timeline from R&D to consumer availability?

Not long, I trust, since it seems that they are using the 2496 as the baseline design.

I should wait a little longer, for this model, right? Especially, since I am new to this endeavor and the learning curve would be shorter.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

This is still on my "To Buy" list so I don't have any feedback but.... VERY COOL :T
            Jason

Comment

• Spearmint
              • Sep 2004

Sonnie,

Brilliant move here IMO, So far the list of requirements you have is great.

A nice to have might be line in/out with crossover for your mains and subs with level control, i.e. when using a power amp the ability to take say L&R mains via new BFD to better integrate subs & mains.

Basically adding some of the features of the CX2310.
              Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Oh, if you do add IR remote control functions, I would want to see an IR input jack on the back, not just a sensor on the front.

I would personally prefer to have all the jacks mounted on the back of the unit to keep it clean looking for my equipment stack, but I can see that other may want some things on the front for access, like a microphone plug-in, USB or RS-232 port for plugging in a computer, etc. Maybe a good compromise would be to have any jacks on the front of the unit behind a flip-down panel.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                  • Jan 2002

Originally posted by jaron
                  1)A master volume control for all channels simultaneously that won't throw away bits.
                  Hi Jaron... I think this could be done pretty easily.

2) Ability to connect two units for more channels and still have one master volume control.
                  Not sure on this, but it has been suggested elsewhere so it will be discussed further to determine cost feasibility.

Are you going to be equalizing more than two subs???

3) Balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) inputs and outputs for each channel.
                  Done!

4) Switchable -10dBV and 4dBu operating levels.
                  Done!

Hey Chris... I assume you did get my email back to you.
                  Originally posted by Christopher D
                  1. Eliminate 1/4" TRS jacks and make all either RCA or balanced XLR
                  Done!

2. Eliminate the +4/-10 db switches, make it standardized for home use
                  Now this is something that most folks have asked to keep... why are you wanting it eliminated... does it hurt anything?

3. Make the rackmounting OPTIONAL. (I rackmount mine, so I don't want to lose this feature, but I can see that other may not like it)
                  The mounts are so cheap we'll probably ask that they be included but make the case nice if they are not used... vs. the ugly holes that exist if the mounts are taken off the 1124.

4. Change the front finish from the gunmetal aluminum to something more refined to look like a home theater product. (of course, I would love to see a finish like Parasound Halo, ww.parasound.com)
                  We got black and silver as options... without the graphics design on top.

5. Create a new "BFD programming equipment package" for owners to calibrate the BFD. Perhaps this could be an optional accessory purchase. It could include:

5a. A custom computer program for programming and controlling the new BFD. I'd prefer to see this implemented via RS-232 instead of MIDI. Since John has already done such a great job of designing the Room EQ Wizard that can be used with the BFD, perhaps this program could be used as a starting point for a new proprietary program? Maybe John could be used to design the new program!
                  Gotta keep cost down so I imagine that we'll just continue to use the REW... afterall it is a fine program and does about everything we need except hold your hand... :B

5b. A microphone/SPL meter and all required cabling to perform calibration. (so we all don't have to run around to various stores, looking to buy a new soundcard with THIS plug, and new cables for THAT jack, and new adapter parts in between, and new microphone amp, etc)
                  Some folks already have these things... but we are suggesting a built-in SPL meter, which should cost much... and we are suggesting a built-in mic amp with phantom power. They already have this in one of their other products but we're not sure on the cost feasibility of having it added in... but it would be nice and would obviously require a monitoring output to that we could connect back to our computer program.

Another thing is the unit can be offered with different package options, depending on what is needed for each individual.

5c. Include the ability for a house curve in the programming package.
                  The REW already includes this. You can load any house curve you want and use it as a target.

You may not be aware of some of the benefits of REW if you haven't dove into it yet... just wait... you'll see that it is one fine program and it would be hard for Behringer to improve on it... especially when it's free and JohnM is keeping it so up to date...again for free!

6. I've always thought the basic concept of using the BFD for sub tuning was great, but I'm not understanding why it's limited to only sub equalizing. Why not make the unit able to equalize ALL channels of a home theater, full-range, 20Hz (or slightly below) to 20kHz? (or slightly above) Or perhaps make a 2nd model that would be designed to equalize the other channels of a theater in the same way that we do with the BFD?
                  That will be from a different product by a different manufacturer and will be announced at EHX in Orlando, Florida end of March. It won't do near what the BSE will do for our sub but it will be a great add-on for equalization of mains, center, and surrounds. Oh... the product? It's the Audyssey Sound Equalizer. It will be nice but just not everything we want in a sub eq like we'll have in the BSE.

Making the BSE to do more than sub eq'ing would get it out of the target price we are trying stay at.

7. Multiple storage presets that could be called up for use for movie, music, etc. Perhaps this could even be controlled via IR remote control and/or RS-232!
                  Done! We are suggesting 4.

8. Keep the ability to equalize 2 subs. I currently use both.
                  Done! It will have 2 channels.

9. Like the front finish I mentioned, make the LED lights on it look a little less in the style of pro audio equipment, and more muted in the style of home theater equipment
                  Done! Control with OFF.

10. Also, make the front display dimmable.
                  Done! See above.

11. Heck if we're dreaming, don't even use only LED's for the front display! Why not make a nice VFD display like a home theater receiver that is easy to read?
                  This is not a dream... or at least I hope it's not... we intend to push for this big time. Behringer is very interested already. Keep in mind that the consumer HT world put the BFD on the map.

VFD would probably not be cost feasible though.

12. Change the power-on to have additonal features like RS-232 controlled, IR remote controllable, power trigger from a home theater pre/pro, etc.
                  We got some of this as a suggestion.

13. Keep the unit standard-sized for rack mounting with home theater components.
                  Done!

As far a name... the CDE sounds nice, for "Chris D Equalizer."
                  NOT DONE! How could you possibly suggest this? Shame on you! More like SPE! :B :B :B

Originally posted by Azeke
                  This seems very nice, especially auto-calibration, I am fairly new to the Sub equalization arena, so forgive my questions if they seem sophomoric.
                  Howdy Azeke... Auto calibration will come via the REW... as it does now. Very nice program! To have it built in would not be cost feasible to keep it at the target price suggested.

What would the approximate timeline from R&D to consumer availability?

Not long, I trust, since it seems that they are using the 2496 as the baseline design.
                  Agree... shouldn't be long since they already have most of these features in one product or another. We just gotta get them to put them together in our product and design a new house for it.

I should wait a little longer, for this model, right? Especially, since I am new to this endeavor and the learning curve would be shorter.
                  Not necessarily a shorter learning curve... we've shortened up the current BFD learning curve pretty well with REW. Not knowing how long it will be... and not having a definite guarantee, you might go ahead and pick up one of the 1124's now, since they are so cheap. Get one before they are all gone.

Thanks Jason!

Originally posted by Spearmint
                  A nice to have might be line in/out with crossover for your mains and subs with level control, i.e. when using a power amp the ability to take say L&R mains via new BFD to better integrate subs & mains.
                  Hey Spearmint... this is something that we will be discussing as it relates to cost feasibility. We have already suggested the built-in x-over but not sure on the input/outputs yet.
                  Last edited by Chris D; 05 February 2007, 04:21 Monday.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                    • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Chris D
                    Oh, if you do add IR remote control functions, I would want to see an IR input jack on the back, not just a sensor on the front.

I would personally prefer to have all the jacks mounted on the back of the unit to keep it clean looking for my equipment stack, but I can see that other may want some things on the front for access, like a microphone plug-in, USB or RS-232 port for plugging in a computer, etc. Maybe a good compromise would be to have any jacks on the front of the unit behind a flip-down panel.
                    What does the IR input jack on the back do for us?

We need the input/outputs for mic and midi on front panel for those who have rack mounting and rear is not easily accessible. BUT... we would definitely have them under a door cover.
                    Last edited by Chris D; 05 February 2007, 04:18 Monday.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Sonnie Parker
                      Now this is something that most folks have asked to keep... why are you wanting it eliminated... does it hurt anything?
                      (in regards to the +4/-10 db switch) I just thought this wasn't used for home theater purposes. Are we home A/V guys supposed to use only the -10 db setting?

That will be from a different product by a different manufacturer and will be announced at EHX in Orlando, Florida end of March. It won't do near what the BSE will do for our sub but it will be a great add-on for equalization of mains, center, and surrounds. Oh... the product? It's the Audyssey Sound Equalizer. It will be nice but just not everything we want in a sub eq like we'll have in the BSE.
                      Great, I'm looking forward to hearing more about this new unit from Audyssey.

What does the IR input jack on the back do for us?
                      For anybody that uses an IR repeating block, this is very useful to plug a 1/8" line directly from the repeater into the back of the unit for carrying IR signals. Otherwise, we have to use a IR emitter mouse and adhesive to attach it to the front panel where the IR receiver is. Trust me--if you add IR capability, please add an IR input jack on the back of the unit.

Sonnie, you're saying "done" to these things... does that mean that Behringer has agreed to this new model and these upgrades?
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2003

Sonny,

Welcome back arty:

Great effort... ;x(

I want one... :T

Let me know when I can get one... :thanku:

Geoff

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

Thanks for the feedback Sonnie (pun intended), I think I'll just wait for this newer model.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• jaron
                            • Feb 2006

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by jaron
                            1)A master volume control for all channels simultaneously that won't throw away bits.
                            Hi Jaron... I think this could be done pretty easily.
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by jaron
                            Not sure on this, but it has been suggested elsewhere so it will be discussed further to determine cost feasibility.

Are you going to be equalizing more than two subs???

Like Christopher D I'm interested in equalizing the mains as well as the subs. The DCX2496 is a better base product for that use, and I'd love to have a consumer version.

My application is more in the 2 channel DIY realm than HT, but here goes:

main speakers:
                            about 200HZ up, dipole line array of planar speakers http://ribbonloudspeakers.com/_wsn/page3.html
                            in a baffle 64" high, width TBD after measurements, probably about 15".
                            This speaker will require a steep crossover and EQ for a 13K peak, treble rolloff, falling dipole bass response.
                            Woofers - stereo, up to 200 Hz. Haven't decided between dipole or box.
                            Last edited by Chris D; 05 February 2007, 04:59 Monday.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                              • Jan 2002

Just so everyone knows... when I say "we" this and "we" that... I'm referring to YOU, ME, and EVERYONE else in the HT world. I do not work for Behringer and I am not working for anyone else. Just like I've never been paid for anything I've done with the BFD... I am not getting paid for designing this unit... actually I'm not designing it anyway... "we all" are. I'm simply trying to help "us all" get a product designed that will benefit us all. Since I have the BFD GUIDE hosted and have the exposure I do because of it... I feel like I have a little more potential to get the new product through. Behringer can see what's going on pretty easily and they realize that the various forums and the GUIDE has helped them sell the majority of their BFD's. Again... Behringer has shown great interest and I firmly believe they will design this product for "US". So "we" means our suggestions all put together and what the majority are asking for. Thanks!

(in regards to the +4/-10 db switch) I just thought this wasn't used for home theater purposes. Are we home A/V guys supposed to use only the -10 db setting?
                              Yes... and I'm not sure what there are so many that want the switch, other than I know once that someone had to use the 4db setting because their sub-out on their pre-amp was not sending a high enough level to the BFD.

Maybe someone that knows more about that switch couldn't enlighten us as to more of its' benefit.

For anybody that uses an IR repeating block, this is very useful to plug a 1/8" line directly from the repeater into the back of the unit for carrying IR signals. Otherwise, we have to use a IR emitter mouse and adhesive to attach it to the front panel where the IR receiver is. Trust me--if you add IR capability, please add an IR input jack on the back of the unit.
                              I may have just learned something... gee.... thanks Chris!

If I'm following you on this... if we have an IR mini plug on the back of a piece of equipment then we can connect something like the Home Theater Master MRF200 repeater to it?

Sonnie, you're saying "done" to these things... does that mean that Behringer has agreed to this new model and these upgrades?
                              "Done!" means they are suggested features that the majority of folks have voiced they'd like to have. These are folks from all over the place, if you know what I mean.

Thanks Geoff and Azeke!

Like Christopher D I'm interested in equalizing the mains as well as the subs. The DCX2496 is a better base product for that use, and I'd love to have a consumer version.
                              I see. The problem with getting into more features to allow the ability to eq mains and make it quality enough to do so will probably not be cost feasible enough to keep it reasonably priced. This is why we are calling it a sub equalizer... for subs only, as this is what the majority of folks have used or are using the BFD for.

I think the Audyssey Labs product, Rane, or ART, might be more of something to fit the mains. Of course these will all likely cost more... I know the Rane and ART already cost more, but I haven't heard a price on the Audyssey yet, but for 2-channel that may not be the product you need anyway... probably the Rane or ART would be better.

Btw... my mid-panel ribbons in my VMPS RM30's are crossed over at 160hz... the two woofers only handle from 80hz up to 160hz.
                              Last edited by Chris D; 05 February 2007, 04:19 Monday.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2002

If you have the ear of Behringer, they have products that do everything we need. The DEQ2496 and DCX2496 have every kind of filter you can imagine, including shelving filters to do the so-called Linkwitz transform. However, they could use one small change, most likely just a firmware revision. It would be nice if you could set corner frequencies below 20 Hz and above 20 kHz, say 10 Hz to 40 kHz. It should be no problem with the units' 96 kHz sampling frequency and I'd think we would have a better chance of getting a firmware revision than a whole new product.

Comment

• jaron
                                  • Feb 2006

The DCX2496 needs a master volume control for all channels that does not throw away bits (or at least not many), and a setting for levels compatible with consumer equipment. Anything else would be nice but not necessary.

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

If I'm following you on this... if we have an IR mini plug on the back of a piece of equipment then we can connect something like the Home Theater Master MRF200 repeater to it?
                                    Sonnie, I think you've got it. I'm not familiar with that particular repeater, but it sounds like the same thing. For example, you can use a Xantech amplified connecting block.

Click image for larger version

Name:	79144.gif
Views:	34
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	948080

You can connect an IR receiver mounted somewhere in your theater room to read commands that you send from your remote control.

Name:	480.gif
Views:	36
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	948081

Then from the connecting block, you can distribute the IR commands to all your components, even if they're hidden in a component rack where a regular remote control can't reach them, by connecting a 1/8" plug wire directly to a component that has an IR input jack on it.

Name:	pRS1C-2266810w345.jpg
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	948082

As an example, notice that on the back of the Parasound C1 controller, on the far right side, you have jacks for the C1 to receive IR inputs, as well as other jacks for 12v triggers.

Name:	C1Back.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	948083

If a unit does not have IR input jacks, it's not too big a deal, but you have to buy an IR "mouse emitter" and stick it to the front of that component where the IR sensor is. There's a few inconveniences to deal with, such as the adhesive, if you have to move the equipment, reliability, etc.

Name:	282m.gif
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	948084
                                    Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 21:55 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Victor
                                      • Apr 2002

The DCX2496 needs a master volume control for all channels that does not throw away bits (or at least not many), and a setting for levels compatible with consumer equipment. Anything else would be nice but not necessary.
                                      If you can still find Roland M-1000, then you are all set with fully digital volume control, that "...does not throw away bits (or at least not many)..." for 16-bit sources only and has a control range of about 48 dB.

If your source is 24 bits, then you can still get away with very minor S/N penalty providing you set the gains of your power amps at the lower level. I use 2 Rolands M-1000 in my 4.1 set-up set-up and it works great. The only analog components in my signal chain are my power amps.

If you combine the M-1000, the DEQ2496 and the DCX2496 by attaching them together using their SPDI/F ports, then you have all you ever need to process 16-24 bit source sampled at 96 kHz, except the remote. I am thinking about the DIY remote for the M-1000 as we speak!

regards,
                                      Victor

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                        • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Victor
                                        If you combine the M-1000, the DEQ2496 and the DCX2496 by attaching them together using their SPDI/F ports, then you have all you ever need to process 16-24 bit source sampled at 96 kHz, except the remote. I am thinking about the DIY remote for the M-1000 as we speak!
                                        And you've spent over $700 to get all this and still don't have a remote... or the option of a black unit... or the "no mounts" option without holes... and cannot filter below 20hz. Plus you've got three units instead of one. Granted you've got a pretty nice setup though... just expensive... more than what we're lookin' to spend.

Comment

• Victor
                                          • Apr 2002

And you've spent over $700 to get all this and still don't have a remote... or the option of a black unit... or the "no mounts" option without holes... and cannot filter below 20hz. Plus you've got three units instead of one. Granted you've got a pretty nice setup though... just expensive... more than what we're lookin' to spend.
                                          The "no mounts" option without holes and the ‘black’ option are of no value to me; - all my guar is hidden away from sight. The remote is the only thing I would like to have, but even that is not all that important, - how often do you adjust volume in your HT? The remote mute function is of more importance, but then it is available in your DVD player or your processor for that matter.

The $700 price for 3 units is high, but when you consider the things I can do with that technology, it no longer seems that high. How much would you say the single integrated unit will cost?

In order to integrate the DEQ and the DCX functions you’ll need another processor inside the box because the current iteration of the Analog Devices SHARKs simply does not have the sufficient number-crunching power. The digital volume control will along take another processor to implement if you want to do it right in a manner of the Meridian approach. When you count the ‘ingredients’ along with the software developmental cost, I bet we are talking about $400-500 unit, - not too far from the solution I have; and I have it now.

The new breed of Meridian gear has many functions you outlined in your proposed unit. The Meridian is unreasonably expensive, but even if you consider a more reasonable cost for a unit such as the Meridian G-series processor, still you are talking about more money then a few hundred dollars will get you.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                            • Jan 2002

I doubt very seriously what we are trying to ultimately build will be anywhere close to $400, even if we included everything on the list.

The two units you have do things that sub eq'ing just don't need... yet they don't do quite enough for sub eq'ing.

They (one or the other or both) have features we really don't need such as:

61 band analyzer
                                            multi-function level meters
                                            64 memory presets
                                            31 band graphic eq with parametric control
                                            6 dynamic eq's (Virtual Paragraphic EQ)
                                            auto-eq function
                                            3 analog inputs
                                            6 analog outputs
                                            PCMCIA slot
                                            Windows based editing software

There are numerous features that are duplicated and we'd be paying for twice. It's just not feasible thinking.

Several of us researched it to death and the best we've come up with is what we're trying to get done now. We are not saying that we can get everything on the list for 200 bucks but we think we are close. We may have to eliminate a couple of features that won't make or break the unit, but would simply be nice to have.

Plus... the majority wants one unit... not two or three.

Again... there's nothing wrong with what you've got if that's what you want. I'm sure if there are others out there that want what you got then they'll jump on it.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                              • Jan 2002

Here's the latest updated list for those interested (this is as if I were sending it to Behringer, which will probably be tomorrow):

We are basing the BSE2496 on similarities to several of your products such as the former DSP1124, the current FBQ2496, DEQ2496 and DCX2496, none of which fit our needs precisely. Following is a list of features in four categories, the first being the features we like as they are in the DSP1124 and/or FBQ2496. Second are the essential features we would like, as well as several requested changes from the current BFD’s. Third are features/changes that we would like, but could live without if we just had too, although we believe they should have a minimal cost factor. Fourth are features available in other Behringer models or new features that we would like to consider but could be reserved for a second model if they will cause the unit to exceed our target price. We are not requesting a software program due to the free availability of the RoomEQ Wizard program. The target price we desire is $200-250 retail which will allow for a street price of approximately $150-200. It is imperative that we keep the cost to a minimum, as this is and always has been the driving force behind BFD sales in the home theater world. The majority of BFD 1124 owners were able to acquire there unit for $100-125.

~ A minimum of twelve parametric filters per channel.
                                              ~ Front panel display.
                                              ~ Low power consumption.
                                              ~ Hard bypass relay.
                                              ~ Noise-free.
                                              ~ 107db dynamic range.
                                              ~ 0.007% THD.
                                              ~ One year warranty.

Essential features and changes that we would like and should have a very minimal cost factor:

~ Double insulated chassis with a two prong plug or a ground lift switch if needed to eliminate hum.
                                              ~ Pure flat frequency response from 10hz to 400hz (FBQ2496 is -3db @ 20hz).
                                              ~ Filter adjustment capabilities from 10hz to 400hz.
                                              ~ Simple shelf filter… (i.e. selectable linear boost between two selectable frequencies).
                                              ~ Selectable and/or variable 6db-48db/octave subsonic roll-off filter from 25hz to 10hz (10,13,16,19,22,25hz).
                                              ~ Time delay.
                                              ~ Phase correction.
                                              ~ Front panel USB interface instead of MIDI (place under small flip cover like on computers).
                                              ~ Allow mounting brackets to be optional.
                                              ~ Dimmable front panel lights with OFF option.

With the above features and changes this unit should sell like a hot potato at a steak house. We believe these are reasonable features for a street priced unit at $150-200.

Requested features/changes that won’t make or break the unit, but would be nice to have if minimal cost factor:

~ Frequency readout in hertz instead of base + fine… (1hz increments w/ 0.1hz fine increments).
                                              ~ Bandwidth readout in octaves (1/3,1/6,1/24,1/1, etc.) or hertz (2hz,5hz,12hz,etc.) instead of 1/60, 10/60, 60/60, etc.
                                              ~ Detachable power cord.
                                              Next are features that you already have in some of your units, but we are uncertain as to the cost of these features and whether it would cause the new unit to exceed our target street price of $150-200. It may be that we could stand a street price of $250 (retail $299) with these extra features. We assume it would depend on your cost to integrate them into the new unit. Or if feasible offer the above in one unit and add these features to another unit at a little higher cost.

Elaborate requested features with unknown cost factor for implementation (in order of relevance):

~ Individual crossover filters (Butterworth, Bessel, Linkwitz-Riley) per channel w/ selectable roll-off 6db-48db/octave.
                                              ~ Built-in RTA mic/line input with phantom power and GAIN control.
                                              ~ Built-in test tones (sinewaves – individual 1hz increments and sweep from 5hz to 400hz).
                                              ~ Separate RCA mic monitoring and test tone output to allow for computer program monitoring.
                                              ~ Locate RTA mic/line inputs and RCA monitoring outputs on the front face plate under a small flip cover.
                                              ~ Video output for monitoring the display would be nice, but the cost factor may prohibit this.
                                              ~ Small and simple 6 button wireless IR remote with discrete ON/OFF buttons and Preset 1,2,3,4 buttons.

Consider them all sold!

Comment

• Chris D
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Dec 2000

Wow, I hope those specs meet other peoples' needs, because I hate to admit it, but I don't have a clue what many of those even mean!

My comments:

- Many of the specs refer to LED's... more than one person on these threads has commented that it would be great to go with an actual video display instead of LED's. (this may fit best in the "implement if cost-effective" category, as this may have an additional cost over basic LED's)

- On the same note, several have commented that a case and front panel design less in the style of Pro Audio and more in the style of chic Home Theater would be much more appealing. I don't think we really list that above other than just asking that the lettering be removed from the case top. (which is rather superfluous)

- Again, I would at least suggest a rear panel IR jack in the same sentence you suggest IR remote control. (this shouldn't be a big additional cost if you're doing IR anyway)

- Perhaps where you suggest a USB interface, give an option of "USB and/or RS-232 interface? For all I know, RS-232 could be cheaper and easier to implement, and I'd hate to lose any upgrade to the MIDI port if they don't like the USB idea.
                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                  • Jan 2002

Thanks for the reminders Chris... that's what I was hoping for. There's been so much stated in various places that I'm having a hard time keeping up with it all.

See if this looks better:

We are basing the BSE2496C (Behringer Sub EQ 24/96 Consumer) on similarities to several of your products such as the former DSP1124, the current FBQ2496, DEQ2496 and DCX2496, none of which fit our needs precisely. Following is a list of features in four categories, the first being the features we like as they are, in the DSP1124 and/or FBQ2496. Second are the essential features we would like, as well as several requested changes from the current BFD’s. Third are features/changes that we would like, but could live without if we just had too, although we believe they should have a minimal cost factor. Fourth are features available in other Behringer models or new features that we would like to be considered, but could be reserved for a second higher-end model if they will cause the unit to exceed our target price. We are not requesting a software program due to the free availability of the RoomEQ Wizard program. The target price we desire is $200-250 retail which will allow for a street price of approximately $150-200. It is imperative that we keep the cost to a minimum, as this is and always has been the driving force behind BFD sales in the home theater world. The majority of BFD 1124 owners were able to acquire there unit for $100-125.

~ A minimum of twelve parametric filters per channel.
                                                  ~ Front panel display.
                                                  ~ Low power consumption.
                                                  ~ Hard bypass relay.
                                                  ~ Noise-free.
                                                  ~ 107db dynamic range.
                                                  ~ 0.007% THD.
                                                  ~ One year warranty.

~ Pure flat frequency response from 10hz to 400hz (FBQ2496 is -3db @ 20hz).
                                                  ~ Filter adjustment capabilities from 10hz to 400hz.
                                                  ~ Selectable and/or variable 6db-48db/octave subsonic roll-off filter from 25hz to 10hz (10,13,16,19,22,25hz).
                                                  ~ Time delay in msec.
                                                  ~ Variable phase correction/adjustment from 0-180.
                                                  ~ Front panel USB and/or RS-232 interface for MIDI port (place under small flip cover like on computers).
                                                  ~ Dimmable front panel LED’s / lights with OFF option.
                                                  ~ Revamp chassis for home theater consumer appearance vs. pro-audio style.
                                                  ~ Allow mounting brackets to be optional (include unattached).

~ Detachable power cord.

Next are the more elaborate features that you already have in some of your units, plus a few other added requested features, but we are uncertain as to the cost of these features and whether it would cause the new unit to exceed our target street price of $150-200. It may be that we could stand a street price of $250 (retail $299) with these extra features. We assume it would depend on your cost to integrate them into the new unit. Or if feasible, offer the above in one unit and add these features to another unit at a little higher cost.

~ Built-in RTA mic/line input with phantom power and GAIN control.
                                                  ~ Built-in test tones (sinewaves – individual 1hz increments and sweep from 5hz to 400hz).
                                                  ~ Video display instead of LED’s… (dimmable and selectable OFF).
                                                  ~ Rear IR jack for remote control… to use with repeaters.

Consider them all sold!

We sincerely appreciate your genuine interest and consideration.

Sonnie Parker

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                                    • Jan 2004

A remote with discrete codes would be enough for me.
                                                    My Center Channel Project

Comment

• jaron
                                                      • Feb 2006

Please mention to Behringer that there is interest in a consumer DCX2496. Thanks!

Comment

• Captain Cojo
                                                        • Oct 2004

Bump....any news from Behringer?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

No otherwise it would be all over the forums.

Don't hold you breath this if it happens could take a VERY long time

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"