X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

1098 news

a little birdie just told me that Rotel has a sol'n to get the TFT screen to remain off that I'll be testing shortly. I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I get the code:T

• Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

That is indeed wonderful news Andrew, we await the results with great anticipation 8).

You are the bird, I mean man :LOL: .

Keep us posted,

Azeke

Comment

• DrBoom
      • Dec 2003

Man, that would be sweet
      Only thing that ticks me off is that with the screen turned off, a 1098 becomes a 1068.
      So we actually paid €1700 more, for something we always hated, and nagged to Rotel to find a way to turn it off :roll:
      Unless someone has found another reason where the 1098 can distantiate itself from the 1068 ?
      I haven't heard them side-by-side, so I can't compare the sound quality, but I'm not hearing a lot of people saying the 1098 is way better, so I'm assuming it isn't.
      Granted, the TFT screen does have a few very useful things about it, main thing being you don't have to turn on your TV/projector to make adjustments.
      The being said, it still doesn't justify the €1700 price difference, more like €500 or something maximum.
      Anyway it's good to hear that they're still supporting the 1098, v2.1.3 here I come

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Well I haven't played with it yet but I imagine its just a user setting that remembers you want it powered off...which will mean it will function just like it does when you press and hold Menu to turn it off. When you do that it will still briefly turn back on if you make an adjustment but then goes off again...so the 1098 still wouldn't be a 1068 as the screen's still available when its required...all that's changed is that it will be off until needed so you won't see that bright glowing LCD panel anymore.

As for its value over the 1068 I haven't done a side by side but I'd be quite surprised if there's no difference...the 1098 surely has better parts in it and besides that i've been enjoying my 1098 for months now vs waiting for the 1068 to come out...and with everything the point of diminishing returns occurs pretty quickly and the 1068 likely gets you most of the way to perfection....its that last little bit that gets very expensive to obtain

Comment

• DrJRapp
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by DrBoom
          Man, that would be sweet
          Unless someone has found another reason where the 1098 can distantiate itself from the 1068 ?
          I haven't heard them side-by-side, so I can't compare the sound quality, but I'm not hearing a lot of people saying the 1098 is way better, so I'm assuming it isn't.
          The being said, it still doesn't justify the €1700 price difference, more like €500 or something maximum.
          Anyway it's good to hear that they're still supporting the 1098, v2.1.3 here I come
          I have heard them side by side in an a/b/c/d situation. One of my dealers handles Rotel and the Klipsch Reference series (the speakers I own which are very "critical" and quickly reveal the shortcomings of poor equipment and the strengths of good equipment). So, I was able to bring in my own RSP1066 and switch it between the 1068 and the 1098. Here are my gut reactions. There is a difference in soundstage between the 1066 and either the 1068 or 1098. The soundstage in music modes is nearly identical in the 1068 and the 1098. There is a difference in clarity on the top end in the 1098, but the difference is about as much as one would achieve by changing interconnect cables from the stock RCAs to a mid range premium cable. One has to listen very closely to hear it.

I made the comparison to see if it was worthwhile to upgrade from my 1066 to either the 1068 or the 1098. My conclusion, based strictly on my ears listening to a system setup nearly identical to mine was ...no way Jose for either. The comparo that did make my ears perk up was when my dealer substituted an Aragon Stage One. Now, the Stage One lists at $1K more than the 1098, ( but can realistically be bought for about $400 more) and all that money is spent on quality audio circutry not on a gimmicky TFT screen. The investment in quality innards is clearly audibly worth it, the difference in clarity and sweetness is significant.

So, IMHO, unless your ego absolutely requires that you have the TFT, and you don't already own a 1066....buy the 1068 and don't look back.

Jerry Rappaport
          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Howie
            • Feb 2003

I have a 1098, upgraded from the 1066. In my setup, the 1098 sounds MUCH better than the 1066 did. I'm quite happy with it in that respect. I don't get much use out of the TFT screen, though.

Howie
            Howie

Comment

• DrJRapp
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Howie
              I have a 1098, upgraded from the 1066. In my setup, the 1098 sounds MUCH better than the 1066 did. I'm quite happy with it in that respect. I don't get much use out of the TFT screen, though.
              Howie,

When you got yuour 1098 to replace your 1066, did you get newer better interconnect cables to go along with your new pre-pro?

JR

Jerry Rappaport
              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Howie
                • Feb 2003

I did get some really nice interconnects that I learned about on this forum, but I can't remember if I got them before or after the 1098. I think it was while I still had the 1066, but I'm not positive. I do remember that they opened up the soundstage quite nicely, thanks.

Howie
                Howie

Comment

• cofn
                  • Dec 2002

I have to agree with Howie as well. I started off with a 1066 2 years back, and though it couldn't get much better, then last summer took the plunge on the 1098 and was blown away by how much I was missing. And we did not change any of our interconnets wither. The best example of a better sound stage came with Daredevil. It was an entirerly differnt movie on the 1098. My wife and I noticed it immediatly and were just floored. Didn't think we would hear much of a difference, but it is significant, in our opinion.

We have a full compliment of Def tech speakers and the 1095/1090 amp combo, this may make a difference, not sure what the dealer had hooked up for amps when DRJ went, so it may be an apple to oranges comparison. All I know is there was a big difference.

Comment

• SaNdOkAn
                    • Jul 2002

Any news yet on this item?

Or might i have missed something :roll:

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2003

SanDoKan,

The code has been Beta tested. Some improvements indentified and it is back with the developers for some fine tuning. It will be worth it when you get it.

Geoff

Comment

• Bryan
                        • Jun 2004

Hi,

From what I hear according to the differences between the RSP-1068 and the RSP-1098, The RSP-1068 uses AK DACs while the RSP-1098 uses Cirrus Logic DACs. They both uses Burr Brown op-amps.
                        The RSP-1098 uses three separate transformers to feed the various
                        stages of the processor. I.e. one transformer for the analogue stage,
                        another for the digital stage and another as a line filter. Also you will find extensive shielding between the circuit boards and the power supply stage.

Bryan

Comment

• amix
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by DrBoom
                          Only thing that ticks me off is that with the screen turned off, a 1098 becomes a 1068.
                          Well, you forgot one of the best things with the 1098: Circuits on Cards!
                          Now, this is how High-End should be ! All modulare.

Easier repair.
                          Possibility for future upgrades, be it feature-wise or sonic-wise.
                          More easy "tuning" since you do not need to send in all.
                          More 12V triggers (4 in opposite to 3)
                          Better parts.
                          And much more.

Now it only depends on Rotel, which way they go. Personally I'd like the next line being dropped and instead new modules (cards) being offered).
                          Adios, amix :dothewave:
                          Stereo: Rotel RA-840 BX4, Rotel RP-955 (Ortofon MC 15 Super), Nakamichi CR4, DBX DX-900, Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE, OCOS
                          HTPC-Server: P4 1.8, ASUS p4PE, 512MB, 2x 250GB, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, G550DH, DVB-s, SATA HotSwap, GB-Lan

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"