X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • micke
    • May 2003

Strange noise on the 1098

When i puch the volume up and down i hear a strange noise. The noise is not so loud.

Is there someone else with this problem?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

can you please explain what sort of noise it is? I.E. is it a clicking or a grating noise etc?

Comment

• micke
      • May 2003

well...its a "sparkling" kinda sound...almost like the sound as if electrical sparks in the speakers , you can hear it very clearly when playing soft tunes, you turn the sound wheel and the "sound" is heard from all speakers as you turn the wheel. (same sound when you use the remote to change the sound)

Comment

• DrBoom
        • Dec 2003

I think you're referring to the small clicks you can hear as the volume changes.
        This is normal and is caused by the digital volume control, which is present in 99% of all surround receivers/amps.
        Back in the old days, volume would be controlled by analog rheostats, which are still used in almost all stereo amps, just not in surround applications because too many channels have to be regulated at once.
        The volume changes with steps of 1,2 or 3 dB, depending on your setting in the menu.
        I've found that you can definitely hear the clicks, but it's perfectly normal since the volume doesn't go up smoothly but "jumps" up or down every time by at least 1 dB.
        It goes up in small steps, just not as smooth as an analog knob.
        Nothing you can do about it I'm afraid.
        Unless you were talking about something completely different...

Comment

• micke
          • May 2003

I'm sure your right, but then all the 1098 owner should have this problem?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Micke,

The digital volume change noise on my RSP-1098 is VERY faint. I have 95 db for 1W speakers and I need to be right near them to hear it, with the input (say a CD or DVD paused). This faint click is common with most digital volume controls I've had. If your RSP-1098 is like this - that's fine. But if you can hear the clicking from the seating position or over music - that's not (in my view) fine and I'd ask for the RSP-1098 to be fixed / replaced etc.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"