How to connect 2 Subs to an RSP-1098????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

How to connect 2 Subs to an RSP-1098????

How to connect 2 Subs to a RSP-1098?????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

I have a Rotel Processor RSP-1098 and I have just received my second Sub which are the ASW 850 and I want to connect them:

1) Do I connect sub 1 in The processor under Sub 1 Input and the 2nd Sub in the Sub 2 Input??
    OR

2) Do I connect the 2 Subs In a Daisy connection ( which I believe means to have the 2 Subs connected together, having one Sub feeding Input to the 2nd Sub as if they were in Parallel) ?????

3) If I use senario Number 1 shall I use a "Y" connection? after the 2 Subs are connected to the 2 Inputs in the processor with a Mono cable or should that cable have a "Y" ending split?? Because I could have both with Mono conections and then have a "Y" connection put on afterwards, or should the main cable split as a "Y" connection??

I'm lost here because I have the first Sub in the processor In Input Sub 1 and the second Sub In Sub Input number 2. When I go to the TEST ZONE Sub Number 1 makes noise which is correct ,but Sub 2 doesn't even budge ,but when I put Music or DTS concerts both Subs work In Harmony..I believe??? so how come in the TEST ZONE my 2nd Sub has no noise??? Strange!!! Plus could I put the processor to lets say accept Sub 2 or confirm existance of Sub 2 like Center 2 etc????.. Although the Sub works when there is any source Music or T.V etc., So have I connected things wrong here??

Is it better to connect the 2 Subs like I did Sub1 / Sub 2 Input In processor or A daisy connection ( A connector between both Subs.)???

I am totally confused here and would appreciate all your help with kindness.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone out there???????
    Chinets
  • Orange Peel
    • Nov 2004

I feel your pain, I have 2 subs, I connected them like you mentioned, Sub 1 and Sub 2 on my 1098, and nothing from sub two. I was stumped, I searched the entire menu, couldn't find crap. So I just plugged sub 2 into the preouts on my sub 1, so it's piggybacked. Sucks as the sub 2 is a Zone 2 sub, so I have to use the volume from the main system to control the sub 2 loudness, blows!!!!

I would like to get this figured out too!!
    Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• chinets
      • Jun 2005

I meant out puts in the Amp. ( Not In puts) , and Thanks I did post this now on the Rotel site as you told me Jeff...You maybe right!!

Yes, can't get 2nd Sub to produce any sound In TEST ZONE ONLY, but otherwise, it works and sounds like my 1st Sub ASW 850 with Music in CD OR HT or any T.V. source...Yes very stange unless I am connecting this all wrong??

What am I doing wrong here or is there a problem with my connection, The Sub or the 1098 although otherwise when I play a source it workd perfectly IMHO !!!!

I could have the connections for the Subs wrong??
      Anyone out there that can help??
      Thanks Jeff,

Best regards,
      Chinets

Comment

• chinets
        • Jun 2005

Thanks Orange peel,

So you have the same problem too?? I am sorry because I feel the same way. Therefore, I conclude that I should do a Daisy connection or Piggy back as you have satated ..Same thing right??????

Does that make it sound better or the same as I had it connected????

Shall I do the connections your way Orange Peel? Or leave it the way I have it to make it sound the right and correct way??
        The way it sounds now is great but no TEST ZONE therefore shall I leave it my way or your way Orange Peel?? As you have the experience with this problem.??

Thanks a million Orange Peel, You are a real Pal!!!!

Chinets

Comment

• Orange Peel
          • Nov 2004

I can't get mine to produce ANY noise when connected with SUB 2 on the 1098, the only way to get output from the sub is to piggyback it. If yours is working properly under SUB 2 on the 1098 I would leave it that way. I wish mine would work on the SUB 2 preout of the 1098, but it doesn't.

I just want to be able to dedicate the SUB 2 preout on the 1098 for Zone 2, if it's even possible. I just hate having to control the volume of the sub in my Zone2 area with the master system volume. Example, if my main room is listening to the radio, and I turn on the zone 2 (bedroom setup), I have to turn the main room volume up to get the Zone 2 sub to be loud. Blows

I say stick with your connections, I need to figure mine out
          Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

This further leads me to believe the chip in the 1098 supports two sub outputs, but Rotel parallels them. Thus Orange Peel's sub 2 output is dead for some reason. Mine works fine in the test menu and playing..

Orange, as far as the bedroom sub, any reason you can't run it y'ed off of the actual zone 2 outputs?? If your sub doesn't have a crossover, you can get one fairly cheap.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Orange Peel
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
              This further leads me to believe the chip in the 1098 supports two sub outputs, but Rotel parallels them. Thus Orange Peel's sub 2 output is dead for some reason. Mine works fine in the test menu and playing..

Orange, as far as the bedroom sub, any reason you can't run it y'ed off of the actual zone 2 outputs?? If your sub doesn't have a crossover, you can get one fairly cheap.

Kevin D.
              I have software version 3.10 if that makes any difference? I plan to download the latest real soon, I have a few of the issues Rotel describes with my current version that I never knew were fixed, so I am pretty happy about that

As for the bedroom sub, it's a SVS PB10, no crossover, and I didn't know there was a Zone 2 sub out on this thing, I will look for that, I would rather it be JUST for Zone 2 and be controlled with the Zone 2 functions (volume, etc).
              Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

It's not a zone2 sub out, but just the regular zone2 outputs (that are going to the zone2 amp).

Kevin D.

Comment

• chinets
                  • Jun 2005

Mine worked well as I said with both ASW 850 subs. Sub 1 iN Sub1 output of my Rotel 1098 AND THE OTHER SUB 2 In the 2nd Sub Output of the Rotel.

Only problem is that In TEST ZONE ONLY ,Sub 1 works and makes noise while Sub 2 doesn't. However when I play any source such as Music, HT, DVD-A or just plain satellite T.V. the Sub 2 works in harmony with Sub 1 and I can adjust the volume manually behind Sub 1 or Sub 2.

Why doesn't Sub 2 make any noise In the TEST ZONE when Sub 1 would makes noise??????????????????????

Please help here!!!! Shall I make it Piggy back connection or as I have it now,Sub 1 output to Sub 1 and Sub 2 output to Sub 2????????????????????

Best regards,
                  Chinets

Comment

• Marcel B
                    • Nov 2004

I have one subwoofer with two inputs (and a 1098).
                    Everything works perfectly.When I disconnect one input the sound stays, but with less volume, just like expected.
                    This is both with test tone and with a DVD, everything in zone 1.

Marcel B

Comment

• chinets
                      • Jun 2005

Please all,
                      I did not get any proper answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Is there a problem with RSP 1098 or is that normal for Rotel??????
                      I can't get any noise in TEST ZONE for Sub 2??? Why?????????????????????
                      I need URGENT HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Chinets

Comment

• Marcel B
                        • Nov 2004

I did give you the proper answer: both sub outputs get the same signal

Marcel B

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"