X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Curious about a "ticking" noise coming from my receiver

I have an Integra DTR 6.4. I came across a forum that mentions a "ticking problem" with certain Onkyo/Integra receivers after I bought it. I had one incident of a strange digital feedback noise that I believe was caused by a faulty connection. Since setting up in my new house (for about two weeks now) I haven't had that issue. However, I do notice, every once in a while, a random noise, a kind of "spak" sound that seems to emanate from the receiver itself. Not the speakers. It sounds a lot like a TV sometimes does when you shut it down and it's "cooling off". It's not loud, it's only one "tick" at a time--not a series--and it doesn't come from a speaker, but rather the receiver itself. I did notice that the power cord doesn't slot in as tightly in back of the receiver as other cords do in my sub and DVD player, for example. Could an imperfect connection at the power cord cause this intermittent noise? Could this be the "infamous" ticking noise often mentioned regarding Onkyo/Integra receivers in various threads across websites? Has anyone noticed this before? Is it normal? (My old receiver was in an enclosed cabinet and may have been making the same kind of noise, but I wouldn't have heard it.)

Any comments would be appreciated as I'd like to use the system without getting paranoid about little noises.

P.S., I've checked all my connections and, except for the noted looseness at the power cord (very slight), all connections are proper.
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I believe I've isolated the cause (though not the cure). The noise appears to be caused by expansion/contraction of the metal cabinet owing to temperature changes as the amps warm up (similar to what causes the same noises in an analogue TV upon start up and shut down--as well as sometimes during operation). A few other people at different sites seem to have experienced the same problem, with various makes of equipment, and so far, it has not caused any sound quality issues. It remains simply a nuisance when listening to quiet passages in movies/music or at low volume generally. I will continue to monitor the issue to ensure it's not a more serious problem, but I guess I'll have to learn to live with it, like all the other noises in modern life.

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I've continued to monitor the "ticking" situation and have discovered a pattern, I think. When using the "Pure Audio" mode, no ticking seems to occur. This would seem to eliminate temperature changes/expansion/contraction as the amps put out the same amount of heat as when not in "Pure Audio". I believe the noise is generated by either the video switching (I have a lot going on in that regard, a cable box, two DVD players, an S-VHS player), some of the DSPs or a combination of the two. I've been too lazy to reconfigure all my video inputs and connections yet, but I'll get around to it eventually. I haven't noticed any noise when using the multichannel inputs AND applying BM/TA via DSP on my hi-res SACDs or DVD-As. This leads me to think the video switching is the culprit.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Thanks for the updates on an interesting, even if somewhat annoying (for you), situation. Since the sound is coming from within the receiver itself, and only seems to occur when you select a video source, maybe it does have something to do with the video switching. (Of course, it would be VERY strange if you had been hearing a click in the speakers due to video switching.) :>)

Since "Pure Audio" and "multichannel" are both handled entirely within the analog domain, and no clicking occurs, it makes sense that the source of the noise might be digital. But I'm also guessing you are not selecting a video source when you are using "Pure Audio" or "multichannel" audio, so even if the noise is digital and related to the video switching, you wouldn't hear it when using audio-only.

Good luck -- I hope you can resolve the situation to your satisfaction.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

I use the multichannel inputs for two purposes. I have a three channel RCA A/V switchbox hooked into the L/R and sub channels (the noise predates the switchbox). Into the switchbox I have plugged the L/R and sub channels of my Cambridge Audio 540D and Marantz DV6400 DVD players and I have plugged the SL/SR/C channels of the Marantz directly into the corresponding inputs of the Integra multichannel. I use my Cambridge as my film watching player and my CD player. It is hooked up in this manner to allow me to use the "Pure Audio" mode for 2.1 CD playback (the player allows for this and I avoid an extra A/D/A). I use my Marantz exclusively for hi-res playback and I use the Integra's BM/TA on the multichannel inputs for hi-res playback, so the multichannel input does get used with a video source (DVD-A) and with the digitized BM/TA. It is these multiple parameters that have made it difficult to narrow down (haven't isolated it yet) the source of the noise. I will keep at it and post my results when (if) I find a solution (or at least an explanation) so others can have less aggravation.

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Short update,
            The noise is definitely absent when using "Pure Audio" mode. Culprit must therefore be the digital audio DSPs or video relay switches or a combination of the two.

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Further update:

I've disconnected all video sources from the receiver and the ticking noise remains, with DD and DTS via DVD-V, though it is diminished in volume. I will conduct further tests to see if it is a problem with any other DSP processing native to the receiver (as separate from information encoded in the disc or broadcast from my PVR). I guess it's a characteristic of the chipset the receiver has and would be inaudible in a larger room (farther from my seating position) and/or in an enclosed cabinet or separate room/closet (a route I might explore in the future, but is not an option until after the holidays). I'm disappointed in this situation, though it's not a fatal one. It simply means that come upgrade time, when I thought I'd add outboard amplification and keep the receiver as a pre/pro, I'll replace the unit entirely, either with another receiver, or more likely separates.

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Latest update:

I've moved the gear farther from the seating position so the ticking noise is less annoying, though still audible. However, I've noticed, since the basement is colder at this time of year, a distinct sound that I've determined is caused by expansion/contraction of the metal casing/plastic innards (my TV also suffers from this problem) and it can be quite annoying (happens in all modes and I can reproduce it by pressing down on the metal casing near the junction with the faceplate). If I were to get outboard amps, would the heat produced by the receiver significantly diminish (as the inboard amps would be inactive) or does the unit generate significant heat from other sources? Just curious, though it'll be quite some time before I add any outboard amps (and I don't want to do it just to get rid of this issue, I like their power just fine in my current room).

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Someone recommended I leave the unit on all the time, to maintain a relatively constant temperature in the unit. After five days, this seems to have largely diminished (still happens but much less frequently) the problem. I'm happy not to have the issue (hope this fix works in the long run) but I'm disappointed I have to resort to such a measure to overcome a flimsy casing.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"