X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sarsi
    • Nov 2004

Any news about Rotel new SSP

I am curious about what is the next generation of Rotel SSP after RSP1098 or hopefully some upgrades plan available for RSP1098. Anyone heard of any news or rumours on the coming new SSP, upgrade to RSP1098 or is there any plan for one at all? I think our current 1098 is a little age with all the new HDMI switching and iLink
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

They had a massive dealer release about a month ago and it made no mention of any updates to the surround line-up. It mostly covered the items that debuted at CEDIA this month. I will be attending CES in January and will have plenty of up close pics of anything I see.

As far as HDMI, they have a video processor/switcher coming out late this year that will have HDMI ins/out plus be able to scale everything up to 1080p.

Kevin D.

Comment

• sarsi
      • Nov 2004

Kevin, thanks.

Comment

• sprout
        • Jun 2005

This would make an interesting poll?

Out of interest, I wonder how many people use the "V" side of their AV equipment?

I have never used the "V" side of any equipment owned, I like to keep it seperate.

I would always love to see more audio digital inputs/outputs than all this clutter of video switching/converting which is best left to dedicated units.

The top processor should deal with audio only I feel, then this makes sense
        Originally posted by Kevin D

As far as HDMI, they have a video processor/switcher coming out late this year that will have HDMI ins/out plus be able to scale everything up to 1080p.

Kevin D.
        Would a poll on: How many people use the "V" side of their AV amp/proc for anything other than screen menus?

I think it may be interesting

sprout

Comment

• Adz
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sprout
          Out of interest, I wonder how many people use the "V" side of their AV equipment?

I have never used the "V" side of any equipment owned, I like to keep it seperate.

I would always love to see more audio digital inputs/outputs than all this clutter of video switching/converting which is best left to dedicated units.

The top processor should deal with audio only I feel, then this makes sense

Would a poll on: How many people use the "V" side of their AV amp/proc for anything other than screen menus?

I think it may be interesting

sprout
          "Sounds" like you would be interested in a Bryston processer. They believe any video circuitry in the same unit as audio has the potential to introduce noise so they handle the "V" side of things through a separate piece of equipment.
          Adz

Comment

• sprout
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Adz
            "Sounds" like you would be interested in a Bryston processer. They believe any video circuitry in the same unit as audio has the potential to introduce noise so they handle the "V" side of things through a separate piece of equipment.
            I am an avid Rotel fan, but the concept is one I 100% support.

Personally I feed things through an iScan DVDO HD+ :T

Cheers

sprout

Comment

• sprout
              • Jun 2005

ADZ

Just realised, your up damn early in the US m8

Also noticed your Avitar, I am a big fan of Def Tech :T

sprout

Comment

• sarsi
                • Nov 2004

I have been using AV amp and receiver since mid 90 when it was very popular, when TV generally have only 1 or 2 AV inputs. I don't know is it generally so for Rotel fan but I always maximize the "V" side of things, that is a huge convenience and very centralized control of all Audios and Videos stuff.

Comment

• Kirium
                  • Sep 2005

I use the V side of the house too.... The last thing I want is another box for 1 squillionth of a 1% improvement.
                  Last edited by Kirium; 30 September 2005, 10:54 Friday.

Comment

• Pez
                    • May 2004

I definately need and use the "v" side. IMO makes things much easier to use and I have never noticed a difference when I used my 1068 for audio only.

I would have to imagine any new SSP with have HDMI swtiching. Other than that I cant think of any new features it may include.

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

Indeed, I also utilize the video portion of my Pre-pro for convenience and consolidation.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

I barely use video. That is in fact one of the things I love about Bryston. Now if I only had the money for it :lol:
                        Jason

Comment

• grit
                          • Jan 2005

Cast another vote for use of the video side. Here's why -

I can't afford to have separate systems, nor do I have the room to have separate systems. Hell, I stretched beyone my limits to afford a nice Rotel / B&W system.

My Rotel / B&W gear has brought my enjoyment of listening to 2-ch music to a completely different level. I insist on the stereo bypass mode because it sounds clearer. My first step toward having separate gear is looking at having a dedicated CD player b/c I've read it has a "much better" sound.

And for those of us with other people living in the house, it's almost necessary to have a 2 remote control limit with very simple functions, including "press here to watch TV with sound".

Comment

• skipm
                            • Jun 2003

One of the main selling points for me on the 1098 was it's 4 component video switched ports. I was using an AA component video switcher up until then. I've done many, many, many video comparisions, straight from the source or switched through the 1098 and I've never noticed a degraded video signal. All of my sources are HD as well.

-Skip

Comment

• sprout
                              • Jun 2005

Well I guess that has told me LOL, I am obviously in the minority.

I am pleased people use it, it is there I suppose

sprout

Comment

• Adz
                                • Jan 2004

ADZ

Just realised, your up damn early in the US m8

Also noticed your Avitar, I am a big fan of Def Tech :T

sprout
                                Work, work, work. I actually hit the gym at this time before work. Lots of energy in the morn'.

For a true home theatre experience, DT is hard to beat. Bi-polar sound and a 14" 1800watt powered driver to handle the low end (not including my separate subs) is pretty wild with movie soundtracks. But, I'm still looking.
                                Adz

Comment

• sprout
                                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Adz
                                  Work, work, work. I actually hit the gym at this time before work. Lots of energy in the morn'.

For a true home theatre experience, DT is hard to beat. Bi-polar sound and a 14" driver to handle the low end (not including my separate subs) is pretty wild with movie soundtracks. But, I'm still looking.
                                  m8 if it was not for all that water between us, giving massive postage costs, you would have an instant buyer in me, for changing LOL

cheers

sprout

Comment

• Adz
                                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                                    I barely use video. That is in fact one of the things I love about Bryston. Now if I only had the money for it :lol:

Just have a garage sale when noone is home (like your wife assuming you're married) and keep selling sh_t until you're there. When she comes home you can do this:
                                    :scareboo:
                                    Adz

Comment

• sprout
                                      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Adz
                                      Just have a garage sale when noone is home (like your wife assuming you're married) and keep selling sh_t until you're there. When she comes home you can do this:
                                      :scareboo:
                                      M8 you don't realise that little image is me :E

Great sense of humour, never lose it 8)

sprout

Comment

• Blazar
                                        • Feb 2004

I vote for separate audio and video, particularly if there are D/A converters or any analog audio outputs from the pre-amp (which is a majority of units).

This also allows for easy replacement of video components as needed for new formats.

Integration is hindered primarily by the industry's inability to create a good communications standard between all A/V equipment. There needs to be a better consortium for this but the home installation people probably want nothing to do with it. If things are made too easy, then the home installers won't have a job. Look at how the Phillips Pronto made it largely un-necessary to have a touch screen interface without having to buy a Crestron or something.
                                        Blazar!
                                        (HTPC/Panasonic SA-XR55/B&W 802D/HTM-1/SCMS)

Comment

• Kirium
                                          • Sep 2005

I think it's a bit overkill having everything seperate... is the difference really that huge or is alot of it perceived benefit??

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kirium
                                            I think it's a bit overkill having everything seperate... is the difference really that huge or is alot of it perceived benefit??
                                            Personally for me the biggest advantage to me is upgradeability. Better isolation is just icing :T

I wish Adz! :rofl:
                                            Jason

Comment

• Nolan B
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2005

I am an avid Rotel fan, but the concept is one I 100% support.

Personally I feed things through an iScan DVDO HD+ :T

Cheers

sprout
                                              I too feed everything through an iScan HD. For the money it really performs well...video switching, scaling, de-interlacing, Lip Sync and with the need for only 1 output its great value.

Comment

• sprout
                                                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                                I too feed everything through an iScan HD. For the money it really performs well...video switching, scaling, de-interlacing, Lip Sync and with the need for only 1 output its great value.
                                                I concurr
                                                In the UK we have very little true HD available to us, but this is a good piece of kit.

I have just bought bought a Pioneer 868 Sdi modded DVD player and will be feeding it with that soon 8)

sprout

Comment

• ht_obsessive
                                                  • Jan 2005

As I have posted before, I believe the RVE 1070 is a prelude to the next lot of pre/pro's not having video switching. Not even HDMI, though if the audio side of HDMI ever takes off Rotel will have to figure/ have figured how to strip the audio out and pipe it into a pre/pro.

The RVE 1070 will connect to the comms port on an RSP 1068/1098 and do a 'follow me' switching of video input as you switch audio input.

Then the RSP 1069/1099 or whatever will have the same comms port and no video if you ask me.

I am keener for the RSP 1069 to have i-link than HDMI video switching, because I will be buying the RVE 1070 (if I can get over the fact that it's $2000 SSP!)

Comment

• sprout
                                                    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by ht_obsessive
                                                    As I have posted before, I believe the RVE 1070 is a prelude to the next lot of pre/pro's not having video switching. Not even HDMI, though if the audio side of HDMI ever takes off Rotel will have to figure/ have figured how to strip the audio out and pipe it into a pre/pro.

The RVE 1070 will connect to the comms port on an RSP 1068/1098 and do a 'follow me' switching of video input as you switch audio input.

Then the RSP 1069/1099 or whatever will have the same comms port and no video if you ask me.

I am keener for the RSP 1069 to have i-link than HDMI video switching, because I will be buying the RVE 1070 (if I can get over the fact that it's $2000 SSP!)
                                                    That is all very interesting, I hope you are right :T
                                                    i-link too

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2002

I don't see a $1500 pre-amp requiring a $2000 video processor to get video switching.. I'm just wondering if the 1070 will have a comm pass through for those of us who use the existing port.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ht_obsessive
                                                        • Jan 2005

I don't see a $1500 pre-amp requiring a $2000 video processor to get video switching..

Kevin D.
                                                        You have a point there. But that, allegedly, is the price of the RVE. Maybe the RVE will be more expected to tie up with a RSP 1098 replacement.

In that case, what level of video switching would an RSP 1068 replacement have? Not transcoding to HDMI, as Rotel couldn't then justify the cost premium of an RVE just for scaling, could they? And if it had the same video abilities as the 1068 only, it would look further off the pace against the likes of the latest Denon receivers.

I'm thinking, maybe there won't BE a 1068 replacement. Does the 1068 sell well?

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2002

I'm pretty sure the 1068 sells REALLY well. Keep in mind that in Europe the 1068 is actually cheaper then the 1056.

I'm not sure what their plans would be. They come out with the 1098 that has an LCD screen. How would they explain a 1099 that doesn't have one (or is useless) beacuse there is no video inputs??

My theory, thinking about their $1800 DVD player and $2000 video processor:

1056/1067/1068 upgrade gets a new DSP chip and 2 in 1 out HDMI.
                                                          1098 upgrade gets new DSP chip, 3 in 1 out HDMI, i-link.
                                                          New high-end model is an audio only piece, best of the best, etc.. Retails for $4500 but needs the $2000 RVE piece to get video.

I'll remember this post and come back to it in 1-2 years..

Kevin D.

Comment

• pciav
                                                            • Jun 2004

...I'll remember this post and come back to it in 1-2 years..

Kevin D.
                                                            1-2 years in the audio world may cut it, but not in the turbulent video world. What details if any are known about the RVE-1072? Does anyone know what chip it is using? If it has anything but the Silicon Optix Realta HQV or the Gennum VXP it is dead on arrival.

If the tossed around $2,000 MSRP is anywhere close, you can definitely rule out the Realta as the chip, I am not sure on the Gennum VXP, but it may be possible and would be a nice surprise.

If Rotel is going to throw a SD Video Processor out there using the Silicon Image Sil504 or one of the Faroudja Chipsets that can only Bob/Weave 1080i material, and does not support custom resolution output, I do not care how it interfaces with any piece of Rotel equipment it is not worth it. DVDO, Lumagen and the rest of the dedicated scaler world will eat it it for breakfast. Scaling to 1080p is one thing, processing 1080 signals and scaling to a display's native rate is another thing completely. I do not see Rotel having the Techinical Support Staff to handle what a Video Scaler requires, let alone firmware updates.

That being said, I am still interested in it, but want to know more details.

Phil C.

Comment

• kirkj
                                                              • Jan 2005

Once everything goes HDMI, then it'll be all be digital. If the switching is done right, you can switch it through a billion receivers and it shouldn't degrade the signal. Maybe it'll add some latency, but it shouldn't degrade things like analog connections. That said, there's always two sides to every story.

Learn the differences between DVI, HDMI and Component video cables. Found out which is better.

- Kirk.

Comment

• ht_obsessive
                                                                • Jan 2005

If an RSP 1068 replacement, or any other Rotel product, adds 2:1 HDMI switching with no upconversion or transcoding of analogue signals, then it will be, in my system at least, more or less useless.

Comment

• IntegrateMe
                                                                  • May 2004

FYI, the Yamaha DPX-1300 retails for the same price as the DPX-1200 and includes the Teranex Realta HQV chip. Economies of scale and all.

Comment

• pciav
                                                                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by IntegrateMe
                                                                    FYI, the Yamaha DPX-1300 retails for the same price as the DPX-1200 and includes the Teranex Realta HQV chip. Economies of scale and all.
                                                                    The DPX-1300 has an MSRP of $12,495 and plenty of margin to absorb the high cost of the Realta Chip... What I was saying above, at $2k there is no way the RVE-1072 is going to be Realta based. The cheapest Realta based processor is $2,895 from a Company called Calibre. The current announced released crop ranges in price from $2,895 to $5,999.

It would be great if Rotel is using this chip, but I would be willing to bet it is not. I have no details on the RVE-1072, but would love some. I have emailed Rotel several times, but have never received an answer. More than likely it is someone elses solution repackaged. I doubt very much Rotel developed their own Video Processor.

Phil C.

Comment

• ht_obsessive
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2005

Here's a product the RVE 1070 will be pitching against.... http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234417

Comment

Working...
                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                      Search Result for "|||"