New ROTEL amps with bi-wiring capability...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

New ROTEL amps with bi-wiring capability...

Ok ... so whats the point of this biwire business... ?

How do the terminals join in the amp chassis? Are they two independantly driven terminals ? I doubt it.

So all that happens is you have a longer space between the amp and the speaker terminals / crossover.

Also how do the terminals work internally in the speaker enclosure ...? does one in fact run to the high end and the other to the low end ...? How does the cross over cater for this ?

I smell a hint of snake oil here - and a fine way for cable manufacturers to sell more cable!!!

I will be happy to try it if someone can explain why its better.

Sorry if this is slightly off Rotel specific topic - but all their new amps cater for biwiring ... why ??

Rgds Steve.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Steve,

There are a number of good posts over in the Audio Hideout and Home Theater forums here on the bi-wiring topic- do a search and see...

That asside some net answers:

Bi-wire amp terminals like Rotels are driven off the same output from the amp - they just run the pair of terminals in parallel.

For a speaker to be bi-wirable the crossover needs to be designed for it as two separate ciruits, one for the low frequencies and one for the rest. These ciruits are normally electrically independent but connected using the bars / joing rods on the back of the speaker. Disconnect these bars/ rod and run two separate cables to the two pairs of terminals and effectively the amplified is driving each ciruit in parrallel... With good cables and amps and well designed speakers there is a noticable improvement in clarity.. (wel most people find that!)...

Try and see - I really like it myself

Geoff

Comment

• alpina
      • Nov 2005

does biwiring from the amp do anything to the ohmage of the amp?

how exactly do you make an 8 ohm amp run at 4 ohms or 2 ohms for that matter?

regards,

julie
      My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• Stevebez
        • Oct 2003

So bi wire would only help in my view if the cross over benefitted by doing so ...

Ill try it ... although I am still sceptical !! :W

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• peterS
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by alpina
          does biwiring from the amp do anything to the ohmage of the amp?

how exactly do you make an 8 ohm amp run at 4 ohms or 2 ohms for that matter?

regards,

julie
          impedance?
          no since a passive crossover is still used
          the main benefit is less interference of the high and low frequencies since they go down separate cable runs (also more appropriate gauges can be used)
          there is potential for the crossover to preform better but that is debatable
          i feel that any noted SQ improvements will be from the previously mentioned points

Comment

• peterS
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Stevebez
            Ok ... so whats the point of this biwire business... ?

How do the terminals join in the amp chassis? Are they two independantly driven terminals ? I doubt it.

So all that happens is you have a longer space between the amp and the speaker terminals / crossover.

Also how do the terminals work internally in the speaker enclosure ...? does one in fact run to the high end and the other to the low end ...? How does the cross over cater for this ?

I smell a hint of snake oil here - and a fine way for cable manufacturers to sell more cable!!!

I will be happy to try it if someone can explain why its better.

Sorry if this is slightly off Rotel specific topic - but all their new amps cater for biwiring ... why ??

Rgds Steve.
            most high end speakers have this capability.... infact some low end speakers have it too
            btw rotel amps have had that feature for some time now

Comment

• sprout
              • Jun 2005

Effectively when doing things this way you have not removed the link across the speaker terminals at all, just made it twice the length of the speaker cable run, including the very low extra resistance.

sprout

Comment

• Kobus
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by peterS
                the main benefit is less interference of the high and low frequencies since they go down separate cable runs
                Not so sure. This is very technical, but the whole frequency range still travels down both runs, only to be partly disregarded by the x-over.

Steve, I am as sceptical as you; bi-amping is a debated subject, so bi-wire ?????

Anyway, one day I will do a proper a/b, until then I will reserve my judgement.

Kobus
                Last edited by Kobus; 30 March 2006, 02:14 Thursday.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

From my understanding with the seperate wires, one for the low woofer and one for the tweet, since the woofer is slower moving then the tweet, when the woofer goes to "stop" movement, it takes longer. So while it "slows" to a stop, it still sends an AC signal through the wire.... and since that wire is seperate from the high freq wire it will help against distortion of the faster moving and stopping tweet.
                  B&W

Comment

• bluesfan
                    • Nov 2005

Biwire is a waste of time, bi-amp if anything. Read the research.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                      From my understanding with the seperate wires, one for the low woofer and one for the tweet, since the woofer is slower moving then the tweet, when the woofer goes to "stop" movement, it takes longer. So while it "slows" to a stop, it still sends an AC signal through the wire.... and since that wire is seperate from the high freq wire it will help against distortion of the faster moving and stopping tweet.
                      Highly speculative but picturesque.

Kal
                      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• miner
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                        Highly speculative but picturesque.

Kal
                        Kal,
                        With your enormous background knowledge of audio gear and testing facility can you please share your thoughts about biwiring speakers that are cable of such hookups.

Miner

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"