X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • donk93953
    • Mar 2006

adding another set of speakers

Ok, oh sage ones..weigh in on this quandry.
    I have a pair of B & W 803s in my living room just for CD listening. Pushing them is a Rotel 1080, controlled by a Rotel 1070.....I want to place a small pair of speakers ( Polks on top of the armoire, hidden) in my bedroom for background music....oh, but how do I drive them? Do you suggest a quality A-B switch that will allow me to select one, both , or the other speaker combination ( what will be the sonic impact on my 803S listening if I go with an A-B switch?)....or get a small seperate amp ( suggestions, please!) to drive the speakers in my bedroom?
    Inquiring minds want to know.....
    Gracias in advance....
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I would probably recommend a separate amp rather then a A/B switch. Most switches wouldn't handle the 200 watts and would probably degrade the signal. If you wanted to stick with Rotel, the RB1050 is a nice performer, otherwise any small amp should do.

Kevin D.

Comment

• donk93953
      • Mar 2006

I'm inclined to favor the seperate amp idea...but, jezz, I figure no more than $150, 30 watts a side (probably plenty) and small in size....I know we r talking low end here, but I'm coming up blank...any suggestions?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

I've had good luck with the AudioSource AMP ONE A. It's 80w x 2 and can be had for $199 at most internet stores.

You can get some real cheap ones in kit form from Qkits.com if you're so inclined..

Kevin D.

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I just got an RB-1050 from my local dealer for $300. Or check out the used sites like Audiogon or evilBay for used Rotel, you can find some reasonable prices on the 9 Series amps like the RB-970 (60 watts x2), RB-951 (50 watts x2), RB-960 (60 watts x2). These 'broken-in' models have a reputation for longevity and decent SQ. I have experience with the older 9 Series, and I feel they are a great value, especially for a 2nd zone application.

But as always, YMMV, IMHO and last but not least, Caveat Emptor.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• grit
            • Jan 2005

I'm voting for a separate amp too... don't want anything (negatively) affecting the quality of those 803's!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"