X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cneal007
    • Apr 2010

803S and MC205

I've spent years building an amp collection for my home system and just had an epiphany. If I get a MC205 my 4 boxes turn into 1 box. My wife it happier therefore I am happier. I want to believe that 200W per channel is more than enough to power the 803S fronts, 805S surrounds, and a Monitor Audio Platinum center. The B&W 803S got put in the box in the basement because it was too big for the audio stand and my wife could no longer tolerate it's appearance. I think price wise, this is probably the best bang for the buck I will get in the McIntosh range for my application. Right now I am using 4 Audio Research amps (3 monoblocks and a 2 channel) and they are plenty smooth but seem a little anemic for home theater. I am going to move the 2 channel to my daughter's room for music and the three mono blocks to do a 3 channel tv set up (L C R) in my bedroom.
  • Horacio
    • Jan 2005

cneal,

Yes, the 205 will be enough to drive the 803S, and will be a very nice combo sound-wise. Congrats on your purchase! I love McIntosh + B&W :T
    I have not heard the MC205 with the 803S, though, but have heard the MC252 (2x250W) and it was very good. Nevertheless I opted for the MC275 for my 804S, but that was only because of personal taste, as the 252 was wonderful too.

I'm not clear if you listen to stereo a lot, but if you do you might want to consider a separate 252 for the 803S, so a 205 + a 252. I know it's a lot more money...but hey, it's YOUR money!!!! :B

Please do get those 803S out of the box and enjoy your setup!!!

Horacio

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

Yes I agree.. 200W of will be no problem.

I think it is your HTM3S that is in the basement box?

Does it happen to be Rosenut?
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

cneal007,

The MC205 will have no issue driving your speakers. I got an an MC205 to drive 802D's, HTM2D and N804's. It worked very well. Mac's and B&W are a very nice combo.

I also agree it maybe the best bang for the buck in the Mac amp lineup.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• scanido
          • Apr 2006

I have that exact combo and have been enjoying it for the past few years. No regrets on the amp and believe me when i say that it is very capable at handling those speakers at reference volume! My room is 19 x 16 open to an adjacent kitchen and that amp sounds wonderful. I can only imagine for now how better it would be with a better Pre. Currently i am still using a Rotel Receiver.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"