X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Blissful Addiction

It’s like X-mas morning for a 10 year old who still wants to believe in Santa Claus to me.

I joined ‘Club Rotel’ a few months ago when I came down with a common infectious disease known as ‘Upgradius Rotellus’. I was infected some 13 yeas ago when I met a person who turned out to be not only one of the best friends I will ever have, but also a carrier of this highly and easily transmitted disease. A Maple Leaf’er who was a former classical trumpet player, turned luthier (violin maker) after a bout with tongue cancer. It was Rod Nicholas, may the gods of fiscal prudence damn him to purgatory, who like a black widow spider, enticed me to its lair, only to entwine me in a web of tubes, vinyl, Brystons, Krells and such not.

Initially, the disease was quelled by huge monetary outlays of cash for a 2-channel system on such devices as two Rotel RB980BX’s, a SoundCraftsman pre-amp, Signet loudspeakers and a Linn T/T with a Transcripture tone arm.

Well, just like a good case of the shingles, It’s Back!!

With good and prudent advice from the fellow afflicted and diseased patrons of this Forum, I have embarked on a journey of compulsive obsessive behavior typical of the symptoms for this affliction, and similar in many ways to the rationale of an opium addict, to ‘upgrade’ to 5.1.

After acquiring an RSP-1066 just last month, my love of ‘Music’ has been re-awakened like Godzilla being transported to a parallel universe only to find another Tokyo City, plump and prime for the picking.

Well, today, I just brought home a brand spanking new RB-1050 to power my rear surrounds ( I realize this is not ‘Heavy-Hitting’ to many of the aficionados who are acquiring third mortgages to feed their addiction, but to me, it’s like finding an early model Porsche in my driveway with the keys in it and a note saying ‘Just give it a good home’) .

Oh! But the party lasts for but fleeting moments, and tomorrow’s hangover will be formidable indeed! Like the Quest for the ‘Holy Grail’, there is yet to be acquired the quintessential Front Mains and Center, along with the penultimate Sub.

I am drunk with auditory pleasure, irrational, and insatiable with desire.

I am at One with You All...................With visions of Rel Subs dancing in my dreams.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

Our thoughts are with you - your affliction is indeed serious. Counseling may be in order. However, before we can help you, we need to know: What might you be considering for those mains?

Comment

• Kobus
      • Aug 2005

I'm at the early stages of this disease and am not sure what to do. I know that for a start I should stop coming here, ..........impossible.

Damn, I suppose this is the wrong place to seek help.

Good luck to us all.

Kobus

Comment

• bleeding ears
        • Nov 2004

wkhanna, I feel for you, you are obviously suffering.

I recommend a pair of B&W fronts and a RB1095 amp to treat your current bout, that should keep the illness at bay for some time.

I think it would cure me. LOL

Comment

• spinners
          • Feb 2006

It was just 2 month's ago...... when I decided to get rid of my NAD set (wich I was happy with) and started looking for something else. And came across Rotel......by the looks only something started to itch, and it got worse when listening to it. I decided to take it home (RSX 1056, RDV 1050), install it and listen to it. Boy, that was good!
          The fever disappeared until 3 weeks later, when coming across the RB 1070.... wouldn't that be nice to power the fronts? And the itch was back.....turned out to be "upgradius Rotellus". Took it home, happy me. And now after listening to the RCD 1072 at the dealer...........

I can only hope there will be sufficient medication soon. (that is, after buying the RCD 1072!)
          RSX1056, RB1070, RDV1050, RCD 1072, Dali IKON 2, 2x REL Quake II

Comment

• ShadowZA
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

There is but one thing to do when threatened with this deadly disease ..... submit thyself into the clutches of intoxicating musical exuberance.

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by gianni
              .....before we can help you, we need to know: What might you be considering for those mains?
              You want to know how Bad it really is.......Ok.....then I will tell you........

My current lust is for Dali's, and I have yet to even Hear Them!!!!

Oh, and then there's those Warfendale's!!!!!!

Got to run, I see those guys again in white with medications and carrying a straight jacket!
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• autio
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                and I have yet to even Hear Them!!!!
                Wait A minute you can listen to this stuff Too !! (DOH) :rofl:

Comment

• Joey_V
                  • Jul 2005

Very eloquently written.... I enjoyed the read!

Ah yes... you talk about affliction? Take a look at my sig... and I'm only 23!!

Something is wrong with this forum.... it's evil.
                  Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                  Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                  System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• gianni
                    • Nov 2002

Club EVILLE!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"