• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

"Still Alice" BD Review

Still Alice

I spun this BD disc yesterday and enjoyed it........that is........until the end. This is the tragic story of a brainy, academic woman (Julianne Moore) who upon realizing that weird things were happening in her brain, decides to get herself checked out and then is shortly diagnosed with early stage Alzheimer's disease.

The progression of the disease and it's effects are very well portrayed by Julianne Moore and I believe she was given an Oscar node for having done a great job here. I'm not a big fan of Alec Baldwin but he actually does a fine job as her husband who tries to cope with his wife's debilitating disease.

The problem for me arises at the end when like Fifty shades of Grey, this movie simply ends with no absolute conclusion which in this case, would be her ultimate death and the emotional aftermath of her family. Instead, they decide to just end it....screen goes black.....credits roll :roll:

Not to say this film is NOT well done.....it is. I just hate abrupt endings in films. I like a firm conclusion personally. Some would say you don't need it but I still like my films to conclude with a FIRM ending.

BD picture and sound were lackluster here and at many times felt like I was spinning a lowly DVD version. I expect more from BD performance.

I'll give this film a solid 7/10 for Julianne Moore's great acting portrayal of a woman with Alzheimer's. :T
    Dan Madden :T
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Yeah, Dan, I am aware of this film and because I love Moore I was going to rent it. But because of the subject matter, I changed my mind. I am turning 79, and things liker Alzheimer's Disease is not something I want to even think about right now...
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I'll be watching it sooner or later, and yes, Moore will definitely be one of the reasons why.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"