X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Classe4me
    • Dec 2007

Classe disease progressing

Now that I finally have gotten my system sounding really good in my own opinion, the disease is flaring up again and seems to be spreading. Now I am thinking up upgrading to 7.1 once again and would like the opinions of the Classe gods. I know the right way to go would be to add another 2 channel Classe amp, but I am very limited to the type and placement of surrounds and would probably have to go with in-ceiling or in-walls. My current surround/rears are B & W in-walls and they do a decent job with my Wilsons across the front. I am somewhat intrigued by the KEF Ci200QT motorized speakers that will drop down when needed either by remote, switching, or music activated. I am thinking that with surrounds I might be able to get by with the KEF wireless setup and use the built in amplification that the system utilizes. Is this the audio equivalent of putting ketchup on a prime filet mignon or having your Porsche or Ferrari painted at MAACO?

In case you don't know from my previous posts, I am running a CA-5200, an SSP-600, and a CDP-300, with Sophia 2s and a WATCH center channel. As I mentioned, my current rear/surrounds are fairly inexpensive B & W in-walls and sure surprised me for what they are.

I just watched Saving Private Ryan (DTS version) again last night for the first time since I upgraded from CA-5100 to CA-5200 and it's like watching a different movie. Same as Master and Commander.

For the record, I do not currently have a BluRay player and not totally sure whether I want to go there. Is there any benefit to going to 7.1 for enhanced sound quality on standard DVDs with DD or DTS soundtracks? Will it utilize the additional 2 speakers by means of the processor splitting the signal and creating a simulated 7.1 somewhat like the Lexicon Logic 7 does?

Part of my decision is aesthetic and I would welcome an additional Delta component in the Classe rack but I do want to benefit with sound quality as well, otherwise I would consider the KEF wireless system.

Pardon my ignorance here and I only hope that after the 4th of July barbecues that there will be no surplus flames available!
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Are you doing in-walls in the ceiling? Why not go with the new Wilson watch surrounds?
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• skuzzyb
      • Mar 2006

How large is your room? What is the motivation for wanting a 7.1? A great 5.1 sounds better than an average 7.1 any day.

Adding another 2 channels of Classe would be the optimum solution as it would give you a consistent sound across all seven channels, however I temper that with the realization that you are thinking of using different speakers anyway which would mean that the timbre matching that you get from the same speakers, or at least the same family of speakers would be missing. To some, it is very noticeable, to others not some much. I know for me it would drive me nuts.

I have never been a fan of wireless systems as I feel like the sound is somewhat compromised. To get the necessary bandwidth needed from the broad frequency spectrum is a bit dificult and is always open to interference of other wireless devices. Don't get me wrong, there are some good wireless options out there just none that I would justify using to replace what I have.

Comment

• Classe4me
        • Dec 2007

Sikoniko, I have seriously considered the Watch surrounds but I don't really have an ideal place to put them where they would be positioned properly. I don't have the wall space in reference to where my seating is arranged due to windows and an offset in the room. There is also the issue with cost and they are exponentially more expensive than anything else I have considered. Used would not be a bad solution but finding the right color and opportunity hasn't presented itself and I still have the placement problem. My current surrounds/rears are the B & Ws and surprisingly they sound really good. Of course there is not that much information that comes from the rears so I don't feel like timbre matching is that big of an issue once you get past the fronts and center. My B & Ws are located right behind my seating area and are set on the surround mode. Definitely not ideal but gives me an amazing sound on most of my better DVDs with a DTS soundtrack.

My family/listening room is about 21 x 22 in size and my sectional is about 14 feet back from the front speakers. The rear/surrounds are about 7 or 8 feet back. If I convert the in-walls to rear only then I will have to use ceiling mount speakers for the surrounds unless I get REALLY creative with a surface mount such as the Wilson Watch surrounds.

Maybe I can do a scale sketch of the room and also take some pictures to get some ideas of speaker placement.

I would certainly prefer to go with a Classe 2 channel amp but for surround or rears I am not sure that some of the higher end wireless wouldn't work okay for what little information comes out of the rears.

I know I have a lot to learn and it sounds as though I might should consider saving my money and just staying with the 5.1 and upgrading the B & W in-walls to the Wilson Watch surrounds.

This is where boredom gets you....buying things you don't need and going broke! Will I ever grow up?? At this point, I doubt it!

Tom

Comment

• Hberg
          • Apr 2008

Classe4me:

I have pretty much always had 7.1, and I find the sound to be very engulfing and enjoyable when watching a quality movie. There are several regular DVD movies that let you take full advantage of the 7.1/6.1 fearture (Gladiator is one example with DTS-ES). Honestly, I think I will always use a 7.1 set-up.

Since the High Definition audio is relatively new, I am sure we will end up seeing more and more Blu-ray movies with a 7.1 sound track

I have B&W in-wall/in-ceiling speakers for my surrounds and they do a wonderful job with the surround sound eliments of a movie. Even though my current Rotel RMB-1075 that is running the surround channels is doing a fine job, in the not too distant future I may upgrade to a Classe' CA-5100. I not sure if it will make that big of a sound difference on the surround channels, but it will definitely look sweet.

My area is approximately 15 feet wide at the narrowist point and 30 feet at the widest point. It is also about 50 long. I posted pictures in the Pictures of your Classe' Gear thread and it is on the third page.

This is my current system.

Marantz SR7001
          (Waiting on Classe' SSP-800)
          Classe' CA-3200
          B&W 804S (L&R)
          B&W HTM3S (Center)
          Rotel RMB-1075
          B&W Signature 7 (L&R Surround)
          B&W CCM817 (L&R Surround Back)
          SIM2 Domino 30H
          Stuart 100" Screen
          Playstation 3
          RTI T2C Remote
          Denon DVD-2900
          Denon CDRW-1500

H'berg
          "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Blu Ray movies with DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 or DD EX 7.1

Do you have a link where I can find blu ray movies that have 7.1
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by wettou
              Do you have a link where I can find blu ray movies that have 7.1
              Here you go.

You can arrange the titles in any way you want.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                Here you go. http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php You can arrange the titles in any way you want. Eric
                Thank you Eric very cool :T
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• rompower
                  • May 2008

Classe4me

I seen you upgraded to ca-5200, what's the main difference (that you personally hear) between the 52 and the 51? At which volume level are u listening? Loud? Med? Low?
                  thanks

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by rompower
                    main difference (that you personally hear) between the 52 and the 51? At which volume level are u listening? Loud? Med? Low?
                    thanks
                    I have a CA-5200 and CA-2100 when I compared the two in stereo with the 802D I can tell that the 5200 opens up the speakers a bit more but to be honest the 2100 sounds fantastic. I should have bought three CAM400 then I would have heard a true difference. I have my eyes on the Nemo 600 from Electrocompaniet, Pass labs is way to expensive for my budget otherwise I hear they are amaizing

I listen to moderate volume between 40-65 never above that as the dynamics are to good.

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                      I listen to moderate volume between 40-65 never above that as the dynamics are to good.
                      This equates to about 60-85dB at a listening spot 12 feet away. Right where you want it to be. :T

FWIW, there is no audible difference between the 100w and 200w power supply modules used in any of the Delta amplifiers. However, the CA-M400 employs two of the 200w modules using a slighly different architecture which is unique to the line and which gives it a slight sonic edge over the rest of the family. The CA-5200 will have about 10dB more headroom (across all five channels) than the CA-5100 which can have a big impact on current delivery (distortion levels) at higher SPLs.
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                        This equates to about 60-85dB at a listening spot 12 feet away. Right where you want it to be. :T

FWIW, there is no audible difference between the 100w and 200w power supply modules used in any of the Delta amplifiers. However, the CA-M400 employs two of the 200w modules using a slightly different architecture which is unique to the line and which gives it a slight sonic edge over the rest of the family. The CA-5200 will have about 10dB more headroom (across all five channels) than the CA-5100 which can have a big impact on current delivery (distortion levels) at higher SPLs.
                        Thanks RebelMan, I have never measured the db when listening I usually use my ears. I went and measured it and you are right on, I am impressed. ;x(

For me the CA-5200 was useful as it drives 3 80D and 2 802S would it be worth getting an other CA-5200, ie would the sound be much better!!

Comment

• Classe4me
                          • Dec 2007

CA-5100 versus CA-5200 difference

Rompower, I listen at fairly loud levels but have never measured with an SPL meter. I would not want to dispute RebelMan's word because I consider him to be as knowledgeable about Classe equipment as anybody but FWIW I hear a very noticeable difference between the two. I feel like it woke my Wilsons up and brings out the best in them. I don't think it's a placebo effect or in my mind that Saving Private Ryan (DTS), Master and Commander (DTS), The Fifth Element (DD), are like watching different DVDs now than before. I just got the Limited Edition Fifth Element in DTS and can't wait to try it out.

I feel like the system is much more responsive and has incredible bass response without any change in sub settings. I relate it to an underpowered truck having to strain to make the grade and the bigger engine pulling as if there was no hill.

I don't claim to know much about this hobby other than what my ears tell me. I feel like I went from a great sounding system to an excellent sounding system.

Maybe I want to hear better sound because I spent the extra money on the new amp but I don't see it being much different than people saying how amazing a difference their new cables and power cords make that they spent hundreds or thousands on. Nobody will ever convince me that a cable will make more difference in sound quality that doubling your power. If the more power didn't make a difference then why would the manufacturers make them or be able to sell them?

I just purchased another CA-5100 and will be able to A/B them to make sure of what I am convinced I am hearing. If you are anywhere near KY you are welcome to come to my home and take a test audition for yourself.

At low to medium volumes I think it would be a fair statement and a safe assumption that there would or could be no discernible difference in sound quality. At my listening level, medium loud to loud I think it's incredible.

Also FWIW, I was happy with my CA-5100 and would not have changed if I had not experienced clipping on Master and Commander. I just could deal with that even though I am sure that movie will give any amp a good workout. We also have to keep in mind that my Wilsons operate at 4 ohms rather than the more common 8 ohms so therefore they aren't as efficient but the amps will either double or almost double the power output on 4 versus 8 ohm speakers. This was the main reason I chose the smaller one to begin with.

I will be disposing of the CA-5100, an SSP-300, and a CDP-300 that I don't need.

I hope everyone realizes that all of this is is strictly opinion and what sounds wonderful to one person sounds like garbage to somebody else. We all have different ears and different brains that process sound in a very individualistic manner. If I hear a difference in my larger amp then it might be in my ear or my brain. To me, not any different that one person preferring red meat to chicken or seafood. I can't say that my steak tastes better than your lobster but I can tell you that I like the steak better because I don't like lobster.

I just fell off my soapbox so I will slither onto my sectional and finish watching my Journey concert!

Cheers all you great Classe folks!

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"