X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thelonious Funk
    • Dec 2006

Who Inflicted This Affliction???

I’m sure all of you have had someone in your lives that steered you towards music, and the critical listening of it. We all have our influences, and I think it is high time I paid tribute to mine.

When I was five I asked for a tape of Bach. I didn’t know to ask for a specific title, but I knew my dad liked him so it was what I wanted. I’m still a fan. He had a set of Altec Voice of the Theater speakers which he kept on the third floor of our house, and with the windows open on a Sunday mornings I got to hear almost every piece of classical music ever to run in a Warner Brothers cartoon… Along with The Planets, the 1812 overture, and so much pipe organ I am at a loss.

MTV showed me pop… My first purchase with my own money was Thriller by Michael Jackson. Then a Duran Duran record, then Falco’s Rock Me Amadeus (See how I kept coming back to classical music?)

My mother tells me she went from listening to the Kingston Trio in high school to Black Sabbath in her freshman year of college. When I was little and my parents had parties I got to listen to Yes, Genesis, Joni Mitchell, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Dire Straights, Pink Floyd, Van Morrison, the Eagles, New Riders of the Purple Sage, the Beatles, the Stones, Carly Simon, Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, just Young, just Stills, Janis Joplin, and many more of the like.

When I was fourteen my little brother died and the music stopped playing at my house. I had my own stereo by then (Kenwood receiver and cd player with some bookshelf Infiniti speakers that still sound very good.) The music of the seventies was dropped for the grunge of the nineties: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Stone Temple Pilots, or metal: Megadeth, Metallica, amd Prong (who I still love.)

Then something happened that I will always be grateful for. I started paying attention to what my Grandfather had been telling me all my life. Jazz is wonderful. He was into big bands and so therefore I was too, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Stan Kenton,and the Francy Boland Kenny Clarke Big Band, in that order, were his and my own favorites.

From his love of big bands came my own matriculation into the bop trio and quartets. Parker, Davis, Kenny Clarke on his own, Gillespie, Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Sonny Stitt, and so many more. Throw in Brubeck, Don Ellis, and Bill Evans form the “College Jazz” scene, and you had my last two years in high school.

I was a music geek at a school too small for a band. When I went to college I got into Ska because of the horn sections… MU330, Skavoovie and the Epitones, Hepcat, Less Than Jake, Mustard Plug, The Toasters, Chris Murray, The Usuals, Johnny Socko, the Chinkees, and the Scofflaws to name a few.

After school I drifted in my musical tastes, leaning hard on what I knew and not picking up much. When my grandfather passed, he left behind a ton of jazz records that are not available on CD, so I started to catalogue them, ripping each to CD song by song. The benefits to this cannot be described. I went from an fan of jazz to the guy who could name every song the band was playing at a jazz club. As I recorded I read the liner notes on the back of the albums.(PLEASE BRING THIS BACK TO CDS!!!) and learned things like that the Duke Ellington song Lotus Blossom was recorded at the end of the first studio session after Billy Stayhorn died, it was Duke’s tribute to his lost friend. You can hear the rest of the band talking and packing up, but you canalso heard the outright sadness in Ellington’s playing.

Second only to my grandfather, my uncle has played the largest part in my musical growth. He has brought me bands like The Devils Workshop, Blues Image, David Bromberg (If you haven’t heard I Will Not Be Your Fool, do so now and make sure it is a live version,) We have nights that last until 4 am where we each play one or two songs and then the other plays something that they are reminded of. It’s terrific!

Now I have this forum as well, and I have already started picking up new stuff to listen to. So I guess you are all part of my affliction now. You inflictors, you.

And if you read all this, I want to apologize, as it was strictly cathartic.
    Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.
  • Nathan P
    • Mar 2006

For my oldies base I thank my dad, I love the Beatles, CCR, The Eagles, and my mom got me to like Simon & Garfunkle. Classical, my current music teacher, but I've always liked it. I mainly listen to alternative rock right now, and I thank my musician friends at school, one in particular always tells me about bands to check out.

Comment

• Herbonbay
      • Jan 2005

Eric! Your making me feel my age! I was in the sixth grade when the Beatles came to America to be on the Ed Sullivan show and started pulling the youth music scene away from Peter, Paul and Mary, the Ventures, Bobby Darin, Elvis, the Everly Brothers , Buddy Holly and the like. I remember my first stereo when I was in the 7th grade, must have been about 1962, it looked like a suitcase, the turn table unlatched and folded out flat, the speakers also unlatched from the sides. I think it was made by GE and it made music like I'd never heard before. A quantum leap from the small radio that sat on my bedside table. No blind A/B test necessary. A friend up the street, an early electronics geek, installed a headphone jack so I could destroy my ears into the wee hours of the morning while my parents were asleep. My first Mod. I had a paper route, and by selling subscriptions to the Washington Evening Star was given tickets to see the Beatles at DC Stadium. Life was simple. It's funny, I don't remember ever agonizing over the musicality of my speaker cables. We didn't even call them cables, they were wires.

Needless to say the changes that took place in the sixties swept the decade like a social and cultural blitzkrieg. The early sixties were the Beatles, my Mother even liked them, Paul Revere and the Radiers, Hemans Hermits, the Beach Boys. Rock and Roll was cute. Then things started to change with the Rolling Stones, the Kinks, Cream, Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin .......et al. Rock became dark, edgy, raw, angry, revolutionary, sexual, and made our parents long for the days of Elvis. And our parents were right to worry, their newspaper boy was different. He was out there, smoking dope, having sex, plotting the overthrow of the Government and General Motors, and dancing like a lunatic. Dancing like a lunatic because the music was great, and like nothing we had ever heard before. Six years after seeing the Beatles at DC Stadium I was driving aroung DC in my Fiat, looking for the Ambassador Theatre to see the new Jeff Beck Group. Jeff Beck had been with the Yardbirds and was now starting a new band. It's interesting to note that two other members of the Yardbirds were Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page. We were having a bit of trouble finding the Ambassador. It turns out that if you drive and smoke marijuana in Washington DC, the traffic circles become traps. You enter the circle on Friday night and you find yourself just going around and around and around until about Tuesday. We finally stopped a guy on the side walk and asked if he knew where the Ambassador Theatre was. He pointed straight up. We were parked right in front. Wow, seemed to be the collective sentiment. The Jeff Beck Group was great, his new singer, that we had never heard of, was Rod Stewart and his warm up band was Jethro Tull.

I've been trying to think of some of the other bands of the sixties.
      A few that come to mind are:

Spooky Tooth
      Blue Oyster Cult
      Spirit
      Electric Flag
      Big brother and the holding company
      steppenwolf
      Blue Cheer
      Canned Heat
      Vanilla Fudge

See, I still have a few brain cells left intact. 8O 8O 8O
      Herb
      Herb

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Your Grandfather had terrific taste, Eric.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
          • Dec 2006

Thanks George, I think so too.
          :lol:
          Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"