X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FernandoF
    • Nov 2005

Are RB-991/993 Really Shy on Bass ???

Hello, folks.

I have an RSX-1056/RB-980BX combo which I am quite happy with. I'm running Dynaudio 52SE/42C for the fronts, and I understand they are rather power-hungry speakers.

I've got a good offer for my 980BX and therefore I am considering upgrading to one of the 200W/ch amplifiers. My primary options would be the RB-991 or 993, but I've been reading these posts stating that they may be a bit shy for bass, even when compared to the RB-990BX.

Unfortunately I'll have to purchase the new amp without being able to audition it, so I'd like to ask those of you who may be familiar with the models :

1) Are the RB-991/993 really shy on bass ?
    2) Should I expect the 990BX/980BX/1070 to be better in that regard ?
    3) How would you rank the 5 models mentioned above, from best to "worst" ?

My primary objective is 2ch, the 3rd channel (of the RB-993) would be a plus for the 42C, IF the loss in Stereo was irrelevant. Also, for several reasons I cannot include the RB-1080 in my list of options.

Thanks a lot in advance !
  • spinners
    • Feb 2006

Hello,

I have the 1056/1070 combo, no experience with the other amps you've listed. My opinion: The RB 1070 is a very clean amp, detailed and quiet when it needs to be. About bass: I don't feel it's shy, but it's not a houseshaker either. I will rate it as 'honest'. Then again, that's the way I like it. I have 2 REL quakes connected directly to my mains (wich is a nice option REL subs have), so if I want more bass I simply turn up the volume of the REL's. (with sub off in menu, 2 channel mode) Remeber: more watt's don't mean more bass!
    RSX1056, RB1070, RDV1050, RCD 1072, Dali IKON 2, 2x REL Quake II

Comment

• FernandoF
      • Nov 2005

Thanks a lot for your comments, spinners.

In fact I don't want MORE bass, but I'm wondering whether I would get BETTER bass with a more powerful amp. I guess better would mean tighter, more controlled, more clearly audible at lower volumes.

I'm really happy with my RB-980BX, it's just that it might be a good opportunity to upgrade, but I really don't know what I could expect in terms of sound quality improvement.

I would EXPECT the mentioned models, from best to "worst", to be ranked like this :

RB-991
      RB-990BX
      RB-993
      RB-1070
      RB-980BX

Anybody agrees or disagrees ? Any additional comments ?

Comment

• Jonesy
        • Feb 2003

I've had my 991 for a few years now and have absolutely no complaints about the low end production, however my B&W 604's are probably a little less power hungry than your Dyn's. The 991 seems to exhibit very nice control over the drivers at any point on the volume dial. I haven't listened to any of the other models listed.

Comment

• FernandoF
          • Nov 2005

Thanks for your input, Jonesy !

Comment

• chachi
            • Mar 2003

I've got a 993 for the centre/rears and a pair of 1070s for the fronts and no noticeable issues ...
            Links: My DVD Collection
            Video: Sagem 56" HD RPTV, Oppo BD-83
            Audio: Rotel RSP-1069, RDD-980, 2x RB-1070, RB-993
            Spkrs: Wharfedale Pi-30s x2, Pi-Centre, Si-Fi Orbs x2, BK XLS-200 subs x2

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"