X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gdbeck
    • Mar 2006

Rotel RSX-972 / RB980BX combo (review)

Great Budget Combo....
    I used to be a stero junkie, must have owned 25-30 different stereo systems always looking for that perfect sound. That was until I found Rotel and specifically the RB980BX poweramp (which goes ever so well with my Newform Research Ribbon speakers). This setup met all my needs for about 10 years until I decided to jump into home theatre. I ultimately decided to try a Rotel RSX-972 due to price, I'd prefer to have RSX-1056 but could not justify spending an extra four to five hundred dollars for the ProLogic II (vs. ProLogic). I was really hoping that the RSX-972's amplification would rival that of the RB980BX.....well we can always dream can't we? The RSX972 has execellent sound mind you, but vastly different from the RB980BX, it has a brighter sound with a lot of clarity which shines on piano, trumpet, and to a degree vocals. Ultimately I decided that I had to have my RB980BX sound back, the RB980BX has a more tube like sound with great warmth and depth, excellent midrange/bass and is a natural for classic jazz music. That said I tied in the RB980BX into my front line out of the RSX-972 and I'm happy to say things are just EXCELLENT. If I use five channels the power amp gives me great jazz tube warmth (i.e. sax sounds likes its there) while the center/rear of the RSX972 seems to accentuate brighter instruments (ie. flute,piano,trumpet). The RSX-972 also gives lots of options 2,3 or 5 speaker playback with delay/volume etc. adjustments for each set of speakers (front,rear,center). I think the reason a lot of people prefer stero to 5 channel for music is that the default system setups are too heavy on "center channel" and delay, adjusting accordingly can really add to the music listening experience. Mostly talked music but the home theatre sounds super too. Just thought I'd share my experience with anyone thinking of creating such a combo, it works very well for me. - gdbeck
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Nice man nice. Good luck with it. I like the 972. It sounds really good.

Dan

Comment

• jbk
      • Feb 2006

Hey guys,
      I too have the 972 and have recently connected an rb1080 to it. I found the improvement in 2 ch to be very worth it (esp since i only paid $600 australian for the 1080!!). My only problem with the 972 is no variable crossover for the sub.. btw does anyone know what freq it does crossover at, I' guessing 100hz. Other than that I totally agree with you gdbeck the 972 is a good budget performer particularly for music
      Josh

Comment

• Gdbeck
        • Mar 2006

Hey JBK,
        Glad to hear that the RSX-972/poweramp combo is working out well for you too. With regards to your question about subwoofer crossover the only thing I found was the following link: http://archive.audioreview.com/00/0EEC0570.php check it out, may or may not help you. Good luck. Gdbeck

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"