X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Belgarath99
    • Jun 2005

RB991/RB1080 for Dyn Audience 82

Hi

I have heard that this is the best forum to talk Rotel.

I am thinking of buying an used Rotel RB991 to add to my HT setup. I will use the pre-out of my Denon AVR 3805 to connect to the power amp to drive my Dynaudio Audience 82 speakers.

I have heard comments that the RB991 is not as good as the current model RB1080. Is there any truth to this? I thought the only difference between the two models is the 12V trigger on the new RB1080.

I am in Australia. Is there any Rotel owners here that is considering selling their used RB991 or RB1080?

I also like to know what you think is a fair price on an used RB991 or RB1080 in Australia.

Also for my own reference, what is a fair price for a new RB1080 in Australia.

Thanking you in advance.
  • calmac
    • May 2005

As someone who has sold Rotel in Perth W.A. since 1992 ,working for the sister company of the importers ,it has been my experience that the 991 was not in the same league sonically as the 1080.The 991 is both brighter and harder than the 1080 and therefore would probably not be as good a match for your Denon .
    Encel Stereo in Melbourne currently have sellected Rotel items on sale and they were advertising a 1080 for $1000.This is a bargain
    Gordon

Comment

• JDH
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Belgarath99
      Hi

I am thinking of buying an used Rotel RB991 to add to my HT setup. I will use the pre-out of my Denon AVR 3805 to connect to the power amp to drive my Dynaudio Audience 82 speakers.

I have heard comments that the RB991 is not as good as the current model RB1080. Is there any truth to this? I thought the only difference between the two models is the 12V trigger on the new RB1080.

I am in Australia. Is there any Rotel owners here that is considering selling their used RB991 or RB1080?

I also like to know what you think is a fair price on an used RB991 or RB1080 in Australia.

Thanking you in advance.
      Sent you a PM regarding local pricing etc.
      Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Belgarath99
        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by calmac
        As someone who has sold Rotel in Perth W.A. since 1992 ,working for the sister company of the importers ,it has been my experience that the 991 was not in the same league sonically as the 1080.The 991 is both brighter and harder than the 1080 and therefore would probably not be as good a match for your Denon .
        Encel Stereo in Melbourne currently have sellected Rotel items on sale and they were advertising a 1080 for $1000.This is a bargain
        Gordon
        Gordon

May I ask how long ago did you see this advertisement and where? I have sent Encel an email to confirm the price. Is $1000 for an used unit perhaps?

Comment

• JDH
          • Sep 2004

Gordon

May I ask how long ago did you see this advertisement and where? I have sent Encel an email to confirm the price. Is $1000 for an used unit perhaps?
          I think it was recent, follow this link for more info:

Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Spearmint
            • Sep 2004

Hi

Thanking you in advance.
            Where about in Australia are you located?

If you have no luck finding an amp, I might know of a fairly new mint 1080 in Melbourne for sale.

PM me if you like.
            Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• Belgarath99
              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Spearmint
              Where about in Australia are you located?

If you have no luck finding an amp, I might know of a fairly new mint 1080 in Melbourne for sale.

PM me if you like.
              I am in Perth.

From the lack of response, looks like there is noone else selling their RB1080?

Comment

• lvhung
                • Jun 2005

never use pre out of Denon to feed Rotel power !

Comment

• alienone
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by lvhung
                  never use pre out of Denon to feed Rotel power !
                  WHY ???

Comment

• lvhung
                    • Jun 2005

I heard RMB1075 feed by Denon 3803 and Yamaha RXV 1400( pioneer DV757AI )

All I found is much more dynamics sound

but the sound quality is nearly no improvement from receiver Deneon or
                    yamaha :T

Comment

• eelco74
                      • Dec 2002

I have had a Denon 3801, witch greatly improved when I added my RB-981 for the front channels. The 981 is just more powerfull and has more headroom.

However the biggest improvement came then I upgraded the Denon 3801 to a RSP-1068.
                      Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                      Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                      Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Belgarath99
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by eelco74
                        I have had a Denon 3801, witch greatly improved when I added my RB-981 for the front channels. The 981 is just more powerfull and has more headroom.

However the biggest improvement came then I upgraded the Denon 3801 to a RSP-1068.
                        Perhaps I should ask for an audition? It is hard to believe that a 200W power amp will not improve upon a 120W amp. I was quite sure the Denon will not deliver 120W once all five channels are hooked up and they will all be hooked up to 4ohms speakers too.

Comment

• eelco74
                          • Dec 2002

Both the 991 and the 1080 will improve the sound of the 3805. The 3805 is a capable receiver, but it is still a receiver.
                          I have auditioned the 991 when i was in the market for a poweramp. I ende up with the 981, wich sounded pretty good to me. I remember the 991 a bit light on bass, but other than that It had a better soundstage than the 981.

You must definately try one at home, so you can descide for yourself if the upgrade is worth it. Remeber not to try a new one out fo the box, since it takes some time to run in properly.
                          Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                          Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                          Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• marekk
                            • Jun 2005

I have the Denon 3805 (love the receiver!) and Rotel RB-1080 (driving my Axiom M80s 4 Ohm fronts) combo and all I can say - the sound is fantastic!, each note is beefed up, dynamic and could be loud with ease and a sense of headroom, if desired. Big difference compared to 3805 alone - the amp was sick for 3 weeks and the sound of 3805 alone was kind of thin, without such great dynamics as with 1080 together.
                            But you should try it first, if you can - there is always obvious factor of subjectivity.

Comment

• Belgarath99
                              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by marekk
                              I have the Denon 3805 (love the receiver!) and Rotel RB-1080 (driving my Axiom M80s 4 Ohm fronts) combo and all I can say - the sound is fantastic!, each note is beefed up, dynamic and could be loud with ease and a sense of headroom, if desired. Big difference compared to 3805 alone - the amp was sick for 3 weeks and the sound of 3805 alone was kind of thin, without such great dynamics as with 1080 together.
                              But you should try it first, if you can - there is always obvious factor of subjectivity.
                              Thanks for this. I am dropping by the HT shop tomorrow to pick up the RB-1080. I am getting a good price for it. I gather even if I don't like it (highly unlikely considering the Dyn 82 has low sensitivity and should benefit from a high current power amp), I can always sell it at very low loss.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"