X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Denon 2802

Or is it the Marantz 4404? lol. Just kidding.

Read a review in I think it ws SGHT of several front runner receivers at less than 1K entry price.

The Denon jumped out at me, supporting 6.1 processing, DTS-Discrete, Neo, even DPL2! I was shocked, here a receiver less than 1000 bucks that does all the major processing, except THX. you don't get THX, rather some generic theater mode. Even component video input. Boy if I was looking for a lower priced receiver today, I know where I would go!

Remote control is a little clunky they say, but does have night glow for a few important keys, and of course I think analog outpus for the future.

Were I looking at processing today, hmmm, 6,000 for an MC-1, or something like this to take care of my theater processing. Tough call. I love my MC-1, but can't see myself dropping that kind of cash on a pre-processor again anytime soon.

When your shopping, take a peak at the 2802, you may just be pleasantly surprised, especially at it's on-screen menu.

There are a few other entries in this price range, but none that offer more for less that I am aware of.

As they review said as well, DPLII is an important processing consideration, due to all the matrixxed recordings out there, including DPL material on TV.

DESCRIPTION

Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 A/V Receiver • Dolby Pro Logic II decoding with Cinema and Music Modes • DTS Extended Surround Discrete 6.1 decoding • DTS Extended Surround Matrix 6.1 decoding • DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Music Surround decoding • Dolby Digital decoding, including Matrix 6.1 decoding • 24 bit DSP processor • 6 Channels equal power amplifier section • 90 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, <.05%THD) • 135 watts per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, <.7%THD) • Banana Plug Speaker Connections all channels • 7.1 Pre-amp outputs (LF/C/RF/SL/SR/SBL/SBR/Sub) • 24 bit, 96 kHz high resolution DACs on all eight channels • Real 24 bit, 96 kHz Digital Interface Receiver • Adjustable High and Low Pass Crossover(80,100,120Hz) • 2 sets component video inputs, compatible with wideband (480p, 720p, 1080i) response for progressive DVD, DTV • 5 sets composite and "S" video inputs • 5.1 external wide bandwidth (100 kHz) input for future multi-channel formats (such as DVD-Audio) • 5/6/7 Channel Stereo • Personal Memory Plus • 4 assignable digital inputs • Optical digital output • 9 analog inputs including built-in AM/FM tuner • Multi-Zone 1 stereo pre-amp level audio outputs • Glow-Key programmable/learning remote features TV, VCR, DVD codes from other manufacturers; Glow in the dark main function keys • Dimensions: 17.1"w x 6.7"h x 16.4"d • SRP
    $799

Feast your eyes:

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Do be aware of this recent notice if purchasing the 2802 or any other Denon product online, and you should know, Denon does not authorize many online dealers to my knowledge-

WARNING TO VALUED CONSUMERS:
    The warranty on DENON Electronics products is NOT VALID if the products have been purchased from an unauthorized dealer/on-line E-tailer or if the original factory serial number has been removed, defaced or replaced in any way. Recently DENON Electronics has become aware of numerous instances in which such serial number tampering has occurred. Unauthorized dealers/on-line E-tailers and/or their suppliers frequently alter the serial numbers in an effort to prevent manufacturers from tracing the supplier source. DENON Electronics sell products through authorized retail and on-line channels to insure that consumers obtain quality pre-sale and after-sale support and service. PROTECT YOUR WARRANTY. Buy from an authorized DENON Electronics dealer/E-tailer. Check the unit and its packaging to determine whether the factory serial number may have been altered. If in doubt, call DENON Electronics at (973)396-0810.

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Wow, she's purdy. One very nice thing on the 2802 is the variable crossover, though I wonder why they chose to start at 80 and go 100 and 120. I'd start it at 60, and go to 100. I beleive the 3802 starts at 60.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Perhaps they feel like purchasers of a 799 receiver are more likely to have satellite speaker systems, and thus the higher crossovers made sense?

Lex
        Doug

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Denon are good at offering value at a reasonable price. When I bought the 3801 it was the only receiver offering 6.1 and all the other things the 2802 now offers , and at that time the price was $1100 US or less . Nothing else came close to it at the time. Now we see the 2802 that will probably street somewhere around $500 to $600 US. Now that's value.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"