X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nikos
    • Dec 2005

Is RMB-1077 overkill for B&W 600 series

With a chance of cross-posting...

I've heard the RMB-1075 with DM604's and liked the sound. I can't get to listen to the 1077 on my own...but I'm willing to take the risk due to a good deal and the great reviews...

I've read about your comments on how the 100 "digital" W's of the 1077 compares to to 200 "analog" W's of the 1095, so I'm wondering how it will match the B&W 604's.

I'm not sure how many of you read the B&W forum...this question was posed similarly...

I plan on bi-amping the 604's with the 1077.

And later on add the RSP-1069.

Thanks for your input.

Nick
    Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

I was wondering the same thing with my FPMs. They are very close to the 600 series and I was planning on getting a 1077 in the next few months.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

It will use the 604s fine...

If you want something to consider, I'm thinking about the RB-1091 or 1092 for my 604s until I can get better speakers. I might wait for NuForce's new offering though.

The 1077 will drive the 604s as good as the 1095 does (I have the 1095)...you will hear a little more clarity in the highs and a little more force with the bass of the 1077. But also have a full 7 channels to work with.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• shadow
        • Dec 2003

Well, it is overkill now, but if you like the amp you should be able to use it for five to ten years, while your speakers get better.

Comment

• DL86
          • Sep 2005

No way a 1077 is overkill for a pair of 604's. It is still a 100w per channel amplifier. And a 100w is all you will get even compared to the analog rotel amps. Just that the 1077 won't sound compressed at higher volume levels, giving the imitation that it has higher power than what is stated. No it will not play louder than 200w analog rotel amps. I'de say the 1077 would be a great match with the 604's.

Comment

• grit
            • Jan 2005

DL86 is probably right. It's not too much power for the 600's, just costs more than 100 watts of class a/b power. And it'd offer a good upgrade path too.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Nikos,

If you can afford it - buy it.. I have one and love it... They are chameleon like in that they seem to dig up whatever extra power is required for the speaker load... So they are not like a muscle amp - just provide serious control over your speaker and some amazing bass...

Geoff

Comment

• nikos
                • Dec 2005

Thanks for the info.

I'll probably go ahead and order it before I realize I shouldn't be breaking the piggy bank for it...

Nick
                Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• Clepto
                  • Feb 2006

I'm also debating picking up a 1077 in the near future, and I'm only driving 602's as my mains. I'm only running 5 channel for now, but eventually I plan to at a pair of 604's for the Fronts, migrate the 602's for surrounds, and then use my 600's for backs.

Part of my reasoing is the heat, space requirements, and power efficiency of the digital amp.

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                    Nikos,

If you can afford it - buy it.. I have one and love it... They are chameleon like in that they seem to dig up whatever extra power is required for the speaker load... So they are not like a muscle amp - just provide serious control over your speaker and some amazing bass...

Geoff
                    Geoff, how does the 1077 compare to the 1080 in 2-channel mode?

If I was to drive a 5.1 system with a 1077 could I use the 2 spare channels to get extra performance out of my front floorstanding speakers?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2003

Bigburner,

The short answer is I sold my RB-1080...

The longer answer is... The RB-1080 is quite different tonally to the RMB-1077... The RB-1080 has that typical "together" Rotel sound with a sweet midrange... The RMB-1077 is instantly different... The bass is tighter and gives the impression of being deeper. The midrange, especially the upper midrange lower treble is a layer cleaner and more revealing of detail, while the treble is fairly similar or a little brighter more airy... Well recorded CDs sound good on both but after a few A/B switches - the RMB-1077 won me for the extra layer of truth it had... Mind you I wouldn't sell the RB-1080 for a RMB-1077 in stereo, but given the RMB-1077's 7 channels - it was easy for me (and it easily surpasses the very good RMB-1075).

Your idea if using the extra two channels to bi-amp your fronts for stereo is a good one... B&W themselves have used the RMB-1077 to bi-amp lots of their speakers...

Geoff

Comment

• nikos
                        • Dec 2005

After reading the 1092 review from hifinews it makes me want the 1077 even more.
                        I'm waiting to see how my paycheck is on the 15th and I'm getting this baby...
                        can't wait.

Nick

PS: there is a link to the 1092 review from someone in the 1092 thread...

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Mind you I wouldn't sell the RB-1080 for a RMB-1077 in stereo
                          Thanks Geoff. After your very positive review of the 1077, why do you say that?

Your idea if using the extra two channels to bi-amp your fronts for stereo is a good one... B&W themselves have used the RMB-1077 to bi-amp lots of their speakers...
                          What performance improvement would you expect from bi-amping my CDM 9NT speakers with the spare channels on the 1077?

Would bi-amping change your recommendation re keeping the 1080 for stereo listening?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Bigburner
                            After your very positive review of the 1077, why do you say that?
                            Very good question... I should have clarified... I brought the RMB-1077 for its small size (my rack was getting way out of hand - taller than I am) and the opportunity to perfectly balance the sound stage across the front... - as well as it's superb sound... For pure stereo the improvement over the RB-1080 isn't enough for me to have sold the RB-1080 (with the normal loss) and buy an amp over twice the price.... However, buying from scratch for stereo, if I could afford either (ie price not a consideration) there is no doubt I'd buy the RMB-1077 and bi-amp.. But the RMB-1077 is twice the price of the RB-1080...
                            Originally posted by Bigburner
                            What performance improvement would you expect from bi-amping my CDM 9NT speakers with the spare channels on the 1077?
                            The benefits of bi-amping vary from speaker to speaker... I haven't heard the CDM 9nT's bi-amped but I have the 703s (which are quite similar)... So I would expect a cleaner more detailed midrange and treble and an even tighter more defined bass - overall a greater sense of control over the speaker...

Hope this helps

Geoff

Comment

• bigburner
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

Thanks Geoff.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"