Should I cave and get the 1077/Biamping with 1077 Question (I Caved! ;)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clepto
    • Feb 2006

Should I cave and get the 1077/Biamping with 1077 Question (I Caved! ;)

So, my dealer is going to have a demo 1077 for 28% off MSRP, and I'm debating taking advantage of the offer. Not to mention they're throwing in no interest financing.

I'm running 602s3's as my mains, with assorted 600 series speakers around, and an older Yamaha receiver (RSV-1400)... Chances are the only speaker upgrades I'd be considering in the next few years would be to move from the 602's in front to 604s, so I think that the 1077 would be an amp that would last me a good long while...

I debated just going for next year's Yamaha receiver for my next upgrade, which would probably be about the same cost as the amp now, but by going with the amp, I'll be more inclined to get a nicer pre/pro, but probably have to wait a bit longer for it... (Rotel or maybe Anthem...)

Any thoughts/recommendations?
    Last edited by Clepto; 29 September 2006, 19:10 Friday.
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

The 1077 upgrade would be a much more sensible/better upgrade than going with next year's Yammy. You would need to advance your pre/pro later down the road when finances allow.

Comment

• timmay1969
      • Dec 2005

I'd get the amp. A good amp can last you a very long time.

Comment

• Clepto
        • Feb 2006

Yeah, that's my thought, and while I generally don't like to get used items, I figure if I were ever to get a used piece of HT gear, an amp would be it.

It's basically dealer demo stock, and chances are it's one I even demoed some speakers on in one of their rooms.

Comment

• Clepto
          • Feb 2006

Since I only run 5.1, I debated biamping my fronts with the additional inputs, but I wasn't sure how to go about doing that...

would I just run RCA Y-Cables from the pre/pro output to go to the separate inputs on the amp?

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Run to the Dealer

clepto,

The 1077 is an awesome amp (I have one powering B&W Nautilus, so I speak from experience). As a store demo unit, it should come with the full warranty. I have gotten demo equipment from my dealer with full warranty and have had no issues. Finally, the opportunity to get a high quality separate amp at such a good deal is excellent. Yamaha receivers are nice, but the amp section of a mid level Yamaha is nowhere near the performance of a 1077. Also, this saves money in the long run. Later, you only need to get a pre-pro and not have to rebuy the amp section.

Run....Do not walk....

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Clepto
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by htsteve
              Also, this saves money in the long run. Later, you only need to get a pre-pro and not have to rebuy the amp section.
              Sadly, I don't think it'll save money, because the pre/pros I'm looking at all cost more than an all inclusive receiver (; But it will at least offer me the flexibility of going for either a receiver as a pre/pro, or a dedicated pre/pro (:

Yes, it will come with the full warranty, and since that's 5 years, I should have at LEAST 3 full years of warranty service...

I'm leaning towards this decision, and will hit the store on Friday to see what happens (;

Comment

• Sticky Hawk
                • Sep 2006

I am using the 1077 as you stated, I am bi-amping to the mains (804S). I use a Y splitter to send the signal to the 1057.

It has really helped me move to a 7.1 system sooner (I use the 1057 as a pre-pro and to cover the back channels). I really liked the sound of the 1077 (vs other options) and bi-amping did seem to make a difference (at least to my ears).

The other big advantage is I have it in a custom cabinet (cherry wood for the wife) and the cool running is a big advantage here too (if this is also a concern).

Best of luck keep us updated.

Comment

• miner
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Clepto
                  Sadly, I don't think it'll save money, because the pre/pros I'm looking at all cost more than an all inclusive receiver (; But it will at least offer me the flexibility of going for either a receiver as a pre/pro, or a dedicated pre/pro (:

Yes, it will come with the full warranty, and since that's 5 years, I should have at LEAST 3 full years of warranty service...

I'm leaning towards this decision, and will hit the store on Friday to see what happens (;
                  You should actually get 5 full years of warranty service.

Comment

• mike c
                    • Dec 2005

clepto, yes you just split the FL FR signal from the prepro to the two inputs on the amp (per channel)

since the HDMI wars will NOT be done (rx-v 2700 isn't that much better) by next year, it would be futile to uprade your receiver then. get an amp now ... buy the receiver after HDMI 1.3

Comment

• Pez
                      • May 2004

You could buy another receiver down th eroad and use it as a pre/pro. You could even use some of the channels in the receiver for a second zone. This would be the most cost effective way to have the latest features and still take advantage of the 1077.

Comment

• bullitt731
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by mike c
                        clepto, yes you just split the FL FR signal from the prepro to the two inputs on the amp (per channel)

since the HDMI wars will NOT be done (rx-v 2700 isn't that much better) by next year, it would be futile to uprade your receiver then. get an amp now ... buy the receiver after HDMI 1.3
                        This is sound advice which I am following myself. I just bought a 1077 and will be running an RSX 1057 as a processor until the new Rotel processors come out with HDMI 1.3 next year. Since I am running a 5 channel system I will be biamping the front speakers using a Y connector as mentioned. :T

Comment

• wkhanna
                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Should I cave and get the 1077
                          Of course you should, why else would you be asking a bunch of Hi-Fi Heads?
                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Clepto
                            • Feb 2006

Heh, yeah, I figured getting an amp now would give me the patience to hold off on worrying about a receiver or pre/pro until HDMI 1.3 (or maybe even 2.0) becomes more prevalent.

Since I'm running an EDTV right now with DVI, and HD DVD doesn't really look much better than DVD on my display, I don't know that I need to worry about HDMI in the next year or so.

Hopefully Rotel will get their act together and support audio over HDMI by the time I dive in (;

Comment

• Clepto
                              • Feb 2006

Well, I'm throwing the dice and will see what the dealer has available, I'll potentially be coming home with a 1077... Though at this point, I'll have to make sure they will have a return policy for their demo items that's the same as for new ones...

My concern with the amp is that my circuit breaker may not handle the load, though it seems fine with my existing receiver which is @100wpc.

Comment

• Clepto
                                • Feb 2006

Muhahaha

So, I caved, and managed to come away with a brand new, not even out of the box RMB-1077 at the demo unit price. They had the demo unit at their other store, and just offered me the new one at the same price, so I couldn't pass that up!

Next stop, radio shack to pick up a 12V adapter so that I can utilize my receiver's switchable outlet for the amp's 12v trigger.

Comment

• ICEMAN70
                                  • Apr 2006

Congrats. :T

Comment

• nikos
                                    • Dec 2005

I second Iceman! Congrats :T :T
                                    Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• Sticky Hawk
                                      • Sep 2006

Congrat! Let us all know what you think. :B

Comment

• DelRay
                                        • Jun 2004

Good job. Thats one sweet amp. It's hard to pass up with interest free financing. :B

Comment

• Clepto
                                          • Feb 2006

Well, I took advantage of the financing, though I could probably paid straight up... but it's nice to have the option (;

I'm off to go get my trigger and preout cables now, I'm trying to score 1.5' long cables, but not many places seem to sell em that short... Also gonna try and bi amp my fronts (:

Thanks all, I finally am an 'official' member of Rotel Club after 6 months or so of posting here (: :T

Comment

• mike c
                                            • Dec 2005

My concern with the amp is that my circuit breaker may not handle the load, though it seems fine with my existing receiver which is @100wpc.
                                            well the 1077 is 95% efficient and most receivers are 50% efficient ... which means your receiver is drawing twice the load just to supply the 100w

Comment

• Nolan B
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2005

well the 1077 is 95% efficient and most receivers are 50% efficient ... which means your receiver is drawing twice the load just to supply the 100w

if you mean drawing more power from the circut that is not correct. The 1077 will actually draw less, and the less efficiency simply equals less heat. Much of the power in regular amps get turned to heat which makes them less efficent.

Comment

• mike c
                                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                                if you mean drawing more power from the circut that is not correct. The 1077 will actually draw less, and the less efficiency simply equals less heat. Much of the power in regular amps get turned to heat which makes them less efficent.
                                                that's exactly what I mean. the receiver (not the 1077) is drawing more power from the circuit just to produce the same 100wpc

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Sep 2005

that's exactly what I mean. the receiver (not the 1077) is drawing more power from the circuit just to produce the same 100wpc
                                                  Got ya.

Comment

• Clepto
                                                    • Feb 2006

I never really thought about it that way, I was more thinking that the greater efficiency would just mean less heat, but it didn't really dawn on me that since it was more efficient, that the power draw would therefore be diminished, since it wouldn't require as much juice to produce the same power.

Though, perhaps the additional juice to power the fronts (if I were to biamp) might be a factor.

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"