X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Need help from Rotel-phytes

I currently own a Rotel RC-1070 pre, RB-1070 am, RCC1055 changer & B&W 804N and ASW800 sub. For those who have upgraded to RC-1090 pre was it a sonic improvement? Same question for those who upgraded to RB-1080 amp (would consider RB-1090 amp but current shelf above 55" Mitsu won't handle that kind of wt.). I have been told by dealer I really need to upgrade to Classe' products but my college-tuition challenged wallet can't handle $8000 for a pre and amp now. I honestly feel I need to go to at least 250 watts/ch to properly drive the 804N.
  • abqnmusa
    • Jan 2006

The RB-1080 amp will drive your Nautilus 804's

Hi,

I used to own B&W Nautilus 804's. I had the RC-1070 & RB-1080 amp. Later I upgraded to the RC-1090 preamp with an XLR out to the RB-1080 amp. I do believe the RC-1090 & XLR connection provide a better signal, but it may not be big enough to justify the cost.

I would suggest a different path. By all means get the RB-1080 for the Nautilus 804's. Test your system with the RC-1070 & RB-1080. You may be satisfied with improvement in sound and better bass from that upgrade. You may decide the RC-1090 option is not needed. The RC-1070 to RC-1090 change is not a big difference.

Comment

• Kevin97225
      • Oct 2004

I went through the same decision making a couple of years ago. I spent quite a bit of time with the dealer as he switched back and forth from the Rotel RB-1080 and RB-1090 on the RC-1090 and I could hear a difference. The RB-1090 gives more in soundstage, detail, and overall performance in sound. I did not get to directly compare the RC-1090 to the RC-1070 at that time and had too seek advice on it. I was told from others that upgraded from RC-1070 to the RC-1090 that it was a little better in detail and sound quality that they felt it a worthy upgrade.

Later on, I ended up needing a second setup and this time I finally was able to listen to the RC-1090 and RC-1070 at home, from a demo RC-1070 from the dealer. What I heard in difference had me purchase a second RC-1090 and RB-1090 for the second system.

The RC-1070 is a good pre-amp but the RC-1090 does give a little more detail and a much larger soundstage, but what surprised me more was how the RC-1090 had much more power behind it when turning the volume up compared to the RC-1070, a noticeable difference that gives a pleasing
      ommmp to the music and certain resolution that is more to my liking.

I did try the XLR outputs from the RC-1090 to the RB-1090 and I hear no difference at all, sounds exactly the same as the RCA outputs. Several of the reviews on the RB-1090 has stated the same thing and give a good explanation to why that is. Sometimes you hear the XLR can tone down noise levels for some, but I don't have that problem so I can't speak on the XLR in that area.

I have been very pleased with the Rotel RC-1090, RB-1090, RT-1080, RCD-1072 that I have two of each for the two Rotel systems I have. I would recommend them to anyone that has the right speakers to compliment with.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

All of Rotel's amps with balanced inputs are not truly balanced. They immediately get converted to unbalanced and go to the same circuits. Any difference in sound will be from cable differences.

As far as the RC-1090 I could hear a loss of sound quality when our store moved to the RC-1070. One issue you might have is that the RC-1090 does not have any form of tone control, but that may not matter to you.

Kevin D.

Comment

• miket
          • Oct 2004

As regards looking for a rotel preamp I think they may be replacing the rc1090 with a newer model? It may be worth while looking for a discount on the rc1090 or waiting for a newer (improved?) pre from rotel. I'm going to give this new pre a listen with the rb1092 when the pair are available.

Regarding the rc1070 it is a fine pre and in my experience you have to ~2X the price to hear a small but easily notable improvement. I took the rc1070 at the time I was putting together a rotel-linn hifi.

bye..............miket

Comment

• miner
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
            All of Rotel's amps with balanced inputs are not truly balanced. They immediately get converted to unbalanced and go to the same circuits. Any difference in sound will be from cable differences.

As far as the RC-1090 I could hear a loss of sound quality when our store moved to the RC-1070. One issue you might have is that the RC-1090 does not have any form of tone control, but that may not matter to you.

Kevin D.
            Kevin D.,
            Do you know if Rotel will be replacing the RC-1090 or will they just stick with one 2 ch pre? If I can find a new RC-1090 should I expect to get a discount on this discontinued unit?

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

I haven't heard anything on a replacement RC-1090 at all. With out a replacement coming out and still having a demand, I don't see why a 10% price *increase* couldn't happen.

If a new model is replacing something, we'll usually clear it out. If it's just going away, we can usually get full price for it since nothing newer & better is available.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"