X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AA6US
    • May 2005

Rb1080 trade-up to RB1090

I recently bought an RB1080. My speakers are 2.5 ohms, and I have to put a 200W non-inductive resistor in series with one side of the speaker cable to bring it up to 6.5 ohms, which the RB1080 handles just fine (It did NOT like 2 ohms and now I see in the specs the RB1080 works only down to 4 ohm, not 2. So now I want to immediately trade it back for an RB1090--three times the amp for only twice the money. Does Rotel corporate policy permit this? Or is this up to my dealer's discretion? The RB1080 is still mint. I'm more than happy to pay the extra grand or so to get the RB1090. I haven't asked my dealer yet. What are my chances of doing this upgrade trade-up swap?
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

Most Rotel dealers will be happy to do this for you.

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Dealer's discretion. Some dealers allow a trade up policy for 30 days on amps. I would also check on the return policy, although this policy could be simular. I would let my dealer know that the 1080 does not drive my speaker efficiently and "I need more power." Just be aware the 1090 is twice as large as the 1080, and could be a logistics issue.

Good luck,

Azeke
      Last edited by Azeke; 29 May 2005, 15:38 Sunday.

Comment

• Kens1
        • Mar 2005

My dealer allows for a one year trade up as long as the unit is in the same condition you bought it and have original packaging. I have heard other dealers that do the one year exchange also so it should not be a problem for you.

Comment

• thyname
          • Jan 2005

Dealer's discretion.... Mine had a 90 upgrade policy for Rotel gear, I traded up my rb1070 for 1080. You have to check with your dealer, they may be able to do it for you.

Comment

• Jamil
            • Dec 2003

As others have suggested it all depends on the dealer. Check with them and see what they say. I would find it hard to believe a dealer not wanting the additional $1K from you especially if the purchase was recent

--
            Nasser

Comment

• TMHobbies
              • Feb 2005

Is your speakers load always 2.5 ohms or is that the bottom end? What speakers are they?
              doug

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                • May 2004

It is entirely dealer discretion since Rotel does not sell to the general public. I am curious as what speakers you have as well. It sounds like they are 2.5 ohms nominal, what speakers are these? Keep in mind that the RB-1090 is stable down to 2 ohms but if your speakers are 2.5 nominal, what is their minimum? what is their power handling capability? The RB-1090 provides 700 watts per channel into 4 ohms so your looking at around 900 to 1000 watts per channel into 2.5 ohms. Also to say that your amp is still mint is irrelevant because the dealer will not be able to sell it as new now. It is a used unit regardless of how long you had it or what shape it is in.

G.

:assimilate:
                Last edited by GosonFletchy; 04 June 2005, 08:17 Saturday.

Comment

• miner
                  • Mar 2005

Unfortunately, my dealer, the only Rotel dealer in the Houston area, will not do trade-ins/upgrades. So much for local competition.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"