X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrispy35
    • Feb 2004

Add on switched AC outlet?

Like any normal person, I'd like to use the switched outlet of my receiver to turn on/off my power amp (RMB-1066). My budget doesn't allow for something like an RLC-900 right now but I'd like something that performs the same basic function, minus the filtering and timing. I'd like to avoid a wall-wart 12V adapter since there's not much room for one on the back of
    my receiver.

I vaguely recall a post way back where someone mentioned a switched AC outlet from Radio Shack or somewhere like that which would perform the function I need. Basically: plug unit into wall, plug amp into unit, plug 'enable' power cord from unit into switched outlet on receiver. Searching past posts has been unsuccessful.

Does anyone have any leads on a product like this?

Thx,

Chrispy.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Here ya go:

If ou're any good at electronics, you can make one of those for about $10..
    Get a surface mount electrical box, cheap extension cord, and single gang outlet from Lowes. Get a 12V coil/110 15A relay and a 1/8th mono cable from Radio Shack.

Cut the slotted end of the extension cord off and run it into the box. Cut one end of the 1/8th cord and run it into the box. Solder both ends of the 1/8th wires into the coil side of the relay. Run the common (white) end of the extension cord into the common (white) side of the outlet. Run the hot (black) side of the extension cord into the non-switched side of the relay. Take a small piece of the extension cord and run it from the Normally-Open side of the relay to the hot (black) side of the outlet. Shove the relay in the back of the box, screw the outlet and cover in the box, plug it into the wall outlet and 1066, and bam, you've got the same thing but only with two outlets..

Let me know if it's over your head and I can probably do one for time and material (still WAY cheaper that the Niles piece).

Kevin D.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

You wouldn't want to plug a power amp into a switched outlet anyway as they can't supply the current you'd need. Sears sells a little unit in their tools area that does what you need and its pretty affordable. Its intended to enable shop vac's etc to turn on when you power up a table saw etc but it works fine for powering up amps etc when the pre amp powers on. It's only a 15A unit so the larger power amps might suffer a little but likely not for most typical amps as nearly everyone plugs them into 15A outlets anyway. I have one that I used to use on an amp that didn't have a trigger.

Comment

• Bostonears
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by chrispy35
        Like any normal person, I'd like to use the switched outlet of my receiver to turn on/off my power amp (RMB-1066)... I'd like to avoid a wall-wart 12V adapter since there's not much room for one on the back of my receiver.
        There's a really simple solution to this: get a short extension cord to move a 12 volt wall-wart away from the receiver. My local electronics store sells mini extension cords (about a foot long) for this exact purpose.

I agree with Andrew that you definitely want to avoid using the receiver's switched AC outlet for the power cord of the amp.

Regarding external AC switching devices, they would work fine, but why would you want to use one when the RMB-1066 already has one built in (via the 12 volt trigger)?

Comment

• chrispy35
          • Feb 2004

The receiver I have has no trigger output, hence the search for an externally-sourced switched-outlet or, as some have suggested, the wall-wart.

I just want to see what options are out there.

Chrispy

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"