X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danyu
    • Nov 2001

Switched power outlet on RDC-7?

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm planning to purchase an RDC-7, and was wondering if it has a switched power outlet to connect the remote AC control cord from my Monster HTS-5000. This way I could have my whole system turn on using the RDC-7 remote, rather than having to manually switch on the Monster each time. Not a big deal, just a much slicker way of doing things if the RDC-7 could do it for me. If it doesn't, does anyone have suggestions on how best to integrate the HTS-5000 into such a system?

thanks,
    Dan
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Dan -

Welcome to Club Integra and thanks for posting! As others here will attest, you will enjoy using the Integra Research RDC-7 as the pre/pro in your HT system, and will also benefit from its superlative performance as a high quality preamp for stereo music, such as CDs (assuming you listen in that mode).

The RDC-7 does NOT have a switched power outlet (or an unswitched one, for that matter). However it does have two 12-volt trigger terminals and each supplies a current of 100 mA. (When you connect to either of these terminals, you will also need to make the appropriate settings in the On Screen Display menu.)

Your Monster HTS-5000 has a 12 volt remote trigger input rated at 300mA. However, I do not know if that is a maximum or a minimum value. There is one way to find out if this feature would work -- try connecting the two units and see. There is no way this could damage either one -- if the Monster's trigger input requires more juice than the RDC-7 delivers, it simply won't respond. And if the trigger inputs and outputs are compatible, you're "there". You will need a connecting cord with 1/8" plugs at each end, which you can find at Radio Shack and return for a refund within 30 days of purchase if the connection doesn't work.

An alternative for getting everything turned on at once, of course, would be to connect the RDC-7 to one of the HTS-5000's outlets. Just be careful not to exceed the Monster unit's 1850 watt (continuous) total power handling capability with everything you have plugged into it. (Needless to say, this is true whether or not you plug the RDC-7 into it. But the RDC-7's 75 watt draw shouldn't be too taxing for it.) :>) Too bad the HTS-5000 doesn't come with its own remote!

Good luck!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• jakermc
      • Nov 2001

Welcome Dan!

I would by-pass using the RDC-7 as the trigger and go about it another way. I would recommend utilizing an x-10 powered wall outlet or module and an x-10 IR sender. (I get give you specific part numbers and explain x-10 to you if this is new to you.) Total cost would be about $30 - $35.

Simply plug Monster's trigger switch into the x-10 powered outlet and set up the IR receiver to receiver to trigger the outlet when receiving the on command. You can teach the RDC-7 (or any learning remote) the x-10 command from many cheap universal remotes, <$10 if you don't have one. (I might even have an extra one laying around for you.) Then create a macro on the remote to fire up the RDC-7 and X-10 outlet (i.e. Monster) at the same time.

If that sounds complicated, its just how I explained it. Its REALLY easy.

You will love this processor. I am so impressed with its sonic capabilities, its like getting a brand new collection of CDs and DVDs. I'm playing everything over again as though I am hearing it for the first time.

Comment

• danyu
        • Nov 2001

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into the 12v triggers first. If this doesn't work, then the x10 system sounds pretty good. Where do you buy x10 products? Is there a website?

thanks,
        Dan

Comment

• jakermc
          • Nov 2001

The reason a recommended x-10 over the 12-volt triggers is that I assume you need to use the cord supplied by Monster that looks like a small power cord. The 12-volt trigger on the RDC-7 come from an RCA terminal, if I am not mistaken, and would therefore require some sort of custom cable to plug into the Monster trigger input, which is looking for a power cord type connection. (I have the baby brother of your unit which does not have an RCA trigger, if yours does, please disregard my silly comments.)

A great place to learn about x-10 is a forum at www.remotecentral.com. From there you can learn more about it and which web sites are the best to buy from. Radioshack also carries the x-10 components you need to do the job. As an added bonus, you can also rewire yor lights with x-10 (a 20 minute job) so that that are remote controlled also. I have a macro that slowly dims the lights and then starts the movie with one button.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

The x-10 solution is a workable alternative well worth considering, and I'd agree that if a custom cable were required for the 12 volt trigger, it would be less hassle and expense to go with the x-10.

But taking a close look at the back panel of the Monster HTS-5000 (click on "back detail" at the following URL): http://www.monstercable.com/product_info/infosheet_hts5000.html
            it has what looks like a "standard" (1/8" plug) 12 volt trigger input and output, same style as the RDC-7. (The remote connection using a "power cord" -type connection is 110 volt, which is not what you would want to connect to the RDC-7.) Again, if the current requirements exceed what the RDC-7 puts out with its 12v trigger connection, this may not work anyway.

Whichever way you go, it looks like unified control of your system is within reach!

Burke

Comment

• jakermc
              • Nov 2001

From the picture, Burke looks to be right. I would try this first. I have the 2500 and don't remember having that option available to me when I hooked things up. Maybe it was there but I didn't need it so I forgot about it, or maybe its an added feature of the higher model. In case case, I agree, start here first.

Comment

• danyu
                • Nov 2001

Burke's solution sounds great. So here's the deal. The RDC-7 apparently has two 12v trigger terminals each of which supplies current of 100mA. The HTS-5000 does indeed have a 1/8-inch mini-plug jack "input for remote DC hookup" that is labelled "DC in 3~30v". I just don't know if the current is sufficient to trigger the Monster. I'll try to call them and ask. Could there be any harm to either unit by connecting a mini-plug just to check it out? It would be great if the RDC-7 could turn on the Monster, and make the whole system remote-controllable via the Integra.

Dan

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

Dan -

There is no way this could damage either one -- if the Monster's trigger input requires more juice than the RDC-7 delivers, it simply won't respond. And if the trigger inputs and outputs are compatible, you're "there".

Good luck!

Burke

Comment

• danyu
                    • Nov 2001

Unfortunately I heard some bad news today. Monster tech support says their HTS5000 requires 300mA of current for DC triggering, and the RDC-7 only puts out 100mA. This incompatibility really makes no sense. Why can't we all just get along...

Dan

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"