X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fryguy
    • Apr 2006

120V relay for amp turn on?

I want to have my AC outlet from my receiver (which is switched on and off with the receiver I think power a power strip or something so that I can have my amps turn on and off with my receiver. I know I can't/shouldn't plug the amp directly into the receiver since it's not going ot have enough current (plus I will eventually have more than 1 amp), so I need a relay of some sort, plus a way for the relay to power a power strip of some sort.

If anyone has a setup like this, give me some information.
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

Usually when I need a circuit like this, I look to this website: http://www.epanorama.net/

You should watch out for popups, and be aware there are some broken links... but this has mostly been a huge resource to me for the past few years.

Oh, and have a good look at the usual home theater websites. You're surely not the only one to have this problem.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• chasw98
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

If you are at all handy with basic AC wiring, I would use a SSR (solid state relay) which can be "triggered" by the AC voltage being switched on by your receiver and has the capability to pass large amounts of current. Plus it is solid state with no mechanical relays to burn out. I use several of them in my system and they work quite well. Look on that auction place http://cgi.ebay.com/CRYDOM-SOLID-STA...QQcmdZViewItem or in surplus places. Make sure it has a 120 VAC input to work with the AC output of your receiver.

Chuck

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

I believe that Furman manufactures several products - "sequencers" that would help you out. I think they've been recommended here before.
        Danish

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

If your receiver has a triggering circuit use it and forget about the AC outlet on the back of the receiver.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• chasw98
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
            If your receiver has a triggering circuit use it and forget about the AC outlet on the back of the receiver.
            And hopefully the amp has a triggering input to use with the receivers triggering circuit. That is why I used the SSR's on my EP2500's.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"