X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shaqdaddy86
    • Dec 2005

Sub Amplifier Relay Question

I recently purchases a subwoofer amplifier which does not have an auto turn-on feature. I was wondering if there is a way I can get it to turn on when I turn my receiver on. The receiver has a switched outlet, so I was curious if there was a way to build a relay to turn the sub amp on. I cannot directly connect the sub amp to the receiver because it is above the maximum wattage. If you could help me out with this that would be great. I am wayyy to lazy to get up each time and switch it on. Thanks a lot,

Derek
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

If you are asking this question (and not just trolling), you probably shouldn't consider playing with mains connections, as it is too easy to die if you goof.

One safe way to accomplish this is with a heavy duty X10 switch - use a remote to trigger it.

The once you figure out how to work with mains safely response is to use either a 120VAV relay plugged into your receiver's switched outlet or a 12volt transformer, bridge rectifier and around 470 uf to drive a 12VDC relay. Put it all in a grounded case, use grommets if a cable goes through the case (better yet use mains rated connectors) Use insulated crimp connections on the relay, and all other connections or an insulated terminal strip that will prevent you from touching a live wire. Don't forget to fuse both the trigger and power lines.

Did I mention that you must be absolutely sure you understand what you are doing and triple check everything before you plug it in?

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

There are numerous triggering devices that will auto-sense another device

The Craftsman autoswitch will turn on a device when it senses current being drawn by another device. So if you plug any of your other remote turn-on device into it. It will switch the outlet when it senses the current flow

Many companies make triggering devices (sequencers) that will turn on multiple outlets when the sense a triggering current from a receiver or pre-pro.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

I have one of these:

Similar to the one that Thomas linked to. I got the $29.95 one. My intent was to plug the TV into the control outlet and the receiver and sub into the slave outlets. Unfortuantely, turning my TV on caused the receiver to go on-off-on. Not quite what I wanted. I emailed the guy and he said I needed the 2nd generation one. I guess that TVs have a huge initial surge, then let up and then another surge which confuses it. I never bothered to send it back to him, just threw it in a box. I just leave everything on all the time and my electric bill isn't that bad.

I've seen these recommended on AVS several times. I'm sure it would be fine if you were using your receiver for the control outlet. Or, you could just get the gen 2 version. If you are interested in one of these, let me know, and test out the receiver being the control and turning on my sub amp. Shoot if you want it, I'll sell you the dumb thing cheep.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• shaqdaddy86
          • Dec 2005

Thanks for the help guys. Making one would be pretty cool, but the whole dying if you screw up thing is a little shady. I didnt know these were readily available commerically, I'll send a PM to you ---k---. Thanks, Derek

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"